IGNORED

The Masters Par 3 Contest… A Hassle?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Masters Par 3 Contest…  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Complete this sentence with the best answer: I find the Masters Par 3 Contest to be…

• … one of the highlights of the week.
    • … entertaining.
    • … worth tuning in for the background noise.
    • … boring.
    • … something about which I do not care at all.

• Administrator

McIlroy attracted attention in the past with his choice of caddie – his then fiancée Caroline Wozniacki in 2014 and the One Direction star Niall Horan last year. Now, he admits there is an element of “hassle” attached to the event which he would rather avoid before an attempt to claim the one major that has thus far eluded him. “It’s a bit of a distraction and the year I had my best chance at Augusta, 2011, I didn’t play the par-three contest,” McIlroy said. “So maybe the decision not to play it this year can work in my favour.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/28/rory-mcilroy-par-three-competition-masters-augusta

I can see that. And though I watched the coverage the first year, I've not watched it since. It's boring, there's too much fawning over guys who play worse golf than I do at this point in their lives, and I get tired real quick of watching the kids running around. I can see how it could be a huge pain in the butt to a current competitor, and simultaneously really enjoyed by past-their-prime guys.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "something about which I do not care at all".

I would never watch it (I watched about 10 minutes once and was bored), but I also don't get any "uproar" about players choosing to skip it.  The only argument would be that the past-their-prime-guys WANT to play with the current stars (similar to a pro-am), and the young guys owe it to them...but I doubt they care.  I think it's a fun thing for the kids and for those who want to participate, but I'm not surprised when players competing in the Masters want to skip it, and I don't think they should be forced into it.

- John

I voted for the "do not care" as well.

I agree for current players it would be a huge distraction and not much fun overall, even with their kids there.  

To me, it's not what The Masters is about.

I voted "Entertaining".  I have never watched the event, just some out takes.  The highlights are fun to watch.  I don't think watching the entire event would be worthwhile.

Brian Kuehn

If a video from it goes viral on social media, maybe I'll watch it if it's something new, not kids running around, skipping the ball, etc...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't mind seeing the highlights, but I won't tune in for it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah, don't care much one way or the other.  I'd like to think that if I was lucky enough to have tickets to Augusta on a Wednesday, I'd wander the course and watch the guys who are practicing for the tournament instead of the par 3 silliness.

Baseball season will have started so I'll maybe just watch a game Wednesday night if I need a sports fix.  I'll wait for Thursday to watch the Masters. :)

I really don't care about it at all.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah, don't care much one way or the other.  I'd like to think that if I was lucky enough to have tickets to Augusta on a Wednesday, I'd wander the course and watch the guys who are practicing for the tournament instead of the par 3 silliness.

I think that you can't practice on the course once the Par 3 begins. Or something like that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Entertaining, because you get to see guys of various generations playing together and some of the older guys are pretty competitive for a couple of holes with today's young guns.  Overall I have to say it is worth playing for the guys, just to get to know the greens, if nothing else

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think that you can't practice on the course once the Par 3 begins. Or something like that.

Presumably McIlroy is going out with Sullivan and Fitzpatrick before it kicks off, I really don't care about it. When it wasn't televised and I had no idea of the nonsense that goes on during it I liked the idea, once I've seen what goes on not really interested. 

Of course skipping it is a good way to avoid the CURSE!!!!

I think its entertaining, to see these guys in a pretty relaxed setting, but its not exactly riveting.  I can certainly see that for a top player it could be distracting, especially a top player without kids, and I wouldn't be upset at all if some of the guys decided to skip it, but I think its a nice, family-friendly, past-his-prime-guy-friendly tradition.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I think it's entertaining but I can completely understand why players [with a chance of winning a green jacket] would want to focus on the main event.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Over the years have watched highlights on general reporting section especially when someone makes an ace or something. Honestly can't say have been persuaded to care much beyond that.

From the players perspective, I support Rory or any serious contenders of the actual Masters who will/want to skip it. On that note, I would support them skipping just about anything that is bit of a frivolous activity from their perspective and can be a distraction.    

Vishal S.

I find it entertaining - except when Arnold, Jack & Gary would tee off then it was one of the highlights of the week. Those guys are legends; when it is Tiger & Phil the youngsters will feel differently. I can see how it would be a distraction for contestants in the Masters; and they opened up the invitations list to the Par 3 recently to include past major winners and winners of the US Am - because I couldn't figure out how some of them were playing.

To me it is better than watching the range, or the putting green or even worse more Brandel and company on the day before the Masters starts.

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

and they opened up the invitations list to the Par 3 recently to include past major winners and winners of the US Am - because I couldn't figure out how some of them were playing.

I think they've been allowed to participate for decades. I don't think that's been a recent change.

I voted, "something about which I do not care at all." 

I really never watched it. I think it's cool as a family and friends event. Like when you see a son or daughter take a few putts. 

I don't think a player should be ripped for not participating in it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!