IGNORED

You've reached professional status, would you accept a sponsorship of something you don't like?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sellout or not?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. You reached the status as a desirable pro golfer, would you promote something you didn't like?

• Sure. It's all business.
    • No way. I can't promote crap I would not sell.
    • Depends on how much they're giving me.
    • Depends on the product.

32 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

In my mind, if I'm a tour player playing golf as my profession... I'm probably not going to care much about my image regarding endorsements. If Pampers came up to me with a fat check, I don't think I'd say no, I'm pretty sure I'd say "for an extra $X,XXX,XXX I'll even wear the diaper!". The larger the check, the higher chance they would have with me. But it would be a calculated value to my future. I wouldn't be terribly concerned with "fans" and "image" because the reality is that I'm trying to get more money. These folks that are "fans" of the Tiger, Speith, McIlroy... you should be their fan because they are GOOD and are ENTERTAINING and you are in AWE of their skills. Not because of their incomes, habits, personal stuff. I never understood that. 

Maybe so but if a drug company came up to me to hock meds I would probably not be interested but the money more than likely would be pretty decent.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

In the end, it's easy for us to debate, but if someone actually put a deal for millions in front of our face, a lot of us might think twice about rejecting it.

This is really the thing, its easy to take a stand in a vacuum, much harder to turn down an actual offer, especially if you're struggling to make ends meet.  I think (hope) that I'd turn down a company I find morally repugnant.   I'd probably accept an endorsement deal for something I don't use, as long as I felt at least "neutral" about it.  I'd probably start driving a Lexus, or wearing a Rolex, if I got them for free, and was paid to do so.  In fact, I guarantee I'd do the Lexus and Rolex stuff, if only they'd offer.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

As others have said, depends. When I think about endorsements I just hear Peyton Manning trying his best to put Budweiser into every conversation he had after the Super Bowl and how forced it sounded.

Michael

5 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

This would be me:

fea5ed09397023835097429b3405c87e.jpg

With his luck with women, it is good that he is switching teams....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

13 minutes ago, mchepp said:

As others have said, depends. When I think about endorsements I just hear Peyton Manning trying his best to put Budweiser into every conversation he had after the Super Bowl and how forced it sounded.

Well he is an owner of some Budweiser distribution plants or something.  So he has more of a stake in it that just an endorsement deal. 

I would be fine doing commercials/promos/etc. for a brand.  If they want to pay me, go for it. The sooner I can retire and live work free.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I have never been able to understand why I would drink a particular beverage just because somebody famous does.  I really have always struggled with the basic concept of that kind of advertising . .but I guess it does work, of course. 

Oh - Rickie Fowler looks like a huge idiot . .let me go look like one, too, lol.  Then maybe I'll be really good at golf, too.  Just kidding - Rickie has really toned it down but it was just such a great example of the kind of marketing that completely bewilders me . .but is actually effective. 

Anyway . .yeah, unless I had some kind of moral or philosophical issue with a product, I'd promote it.  I'd probably get a bunch for free and start using it anyway . .so it'd be honest.  And if it was so awful that I couldn't even use free product, then I wouldn't be able to endorse it.  

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I have never been able to understand why I would drink a particular beverage just because somebody famous does.  I really have always struggled with the basic concept of that kind of advertising . .but I guess it does work, of course. 

Oh - Rickie Fowler looks like a huge idiot . .let me go look like one, too, lol.  Then maybe I'll be really good at golf, too.  Just kidding - Rickie has really toned it down but it was just such a great example of the kind of marketing that completely bewilders me . .but is actually effective. 

Anyway . .yeah, unless I had some kind of moral or philosophical issue with a product, I'd promote it.  I'd probably get a bunch for free and start using it anyway . .so it'd be honest.  And if it was so awful that I couldn't even use free product, then I wouldn't be able to endorse it.  

That is not the basic premise of those type of endorsements...

A company puts their logo/brand on a golfer because they are in the public eye a lot.  They get their logo/brand seen.  More exposure, even when you are Coke, is a good thing.  I bet the biggest part of the deal is having a Coca-Cola ad on his bag or shirt or cap.  Just like his AT&T deal.

Tony  

Let's see.... I'd be the oldest woman on the LPGA tour.... What sponsors would approach?

Aside from the usual suspects like my golf clubs and attire which would be my GI Cobra Clubs and Puma.

AARP; Eddie Bauer; Zantac; Iroko Pharmaceuticals - makers of Zorvolex; Dr. Scholl's....  

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I'm more disappointed in Professionals that endorse those "magic bracelet" things. Absolute crap "science" and a terrible example to set. 

24 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

A company puts their logo/brand on a golfer because they are in the public eye a lot.  They get their logo/brand seen.  More exposure, even when you are Coke, is a good thing.  I bet the biggest part of the deal is having a Coca-Cola ad on his bag or shirt or cap.  Just like his AT&T deal.

Your'e considering the actual logos on the shirt, hat and bag, and I think you're right in that regard.  Very few people would drink 5 hour energy just because Jim Furyk does, but at least the name gets a lot of TV time.  So I agree with you there.  But there are more to the endorsements than that - like TV commercials and print ads and such.  I think that @Rainmaker's post applies to these things.

A name that comes to mind is Brett Favre.  He is not in the public eye AT ALL these days except on TV commercials.  There are a buttload of Wrangler and Copper Fit commercials on TV daily with him on there, on that type of advertising, I believe, IS the find where they hope you'll want to use the product because somebody else does.  The funny thing is, I (and perhaps others) don't think more highly of the crummy product because of the celebrity endorser, but rather we think a little less of the celebrity endorser because of the crummy product. :P

30 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Then how do you explain this?

Subway-Franchise-Adam-Sandler.jpg

"I eat 3 every day to help keep me strong"

I do eat a lot of Subway, though . . totally unrelated, I swear. 

No, my integrity is worth more than any check.*

*due to a binding endorsement contract that stipulates I mention Powerade in each comment I just wanna say that Powerade is delicious and it cools you off os a hot summer day. And I look forward to Powerade's release of Mystic Mountain Blueberry.

• Upvote 2

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Men of history have done violent, degrading, unspeakable things for money... Putting a logo on my shirt would seem like a pretty fair trade in exchange for a huge check.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

4 minutes ago, mdg74 said:

No, my integrity is worth more than any check.*

*due to a binding endorsement contract that stipulates I mention Powerade in each comment I just wanna say that Powerade is delicious and it cools you off os a hot summer day. And I look forward to Powerade's release of Mystic Mountain Blueberry.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons.

8 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Then how do you explain this?

Subway-Franchise-Adam-Sandler.jpg

"I eat 3 every day to help keep me strong"

I do eat a lot of Subway, though . . totally unrelated, I swear. 

Talk about a hole in one!

• Upvote 2

Tony  

Depends on the product.  I'd pimp Coke, but I wouldn't pimp ho's.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

15 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Your'e considering the actual logos on the shirt, hat and bag, and I think you're right in that regard.  Very few people would drink 5 hour energy just because Jim Furyk does, but at least the name gets a lot of TV time.  So I agree with you there.  But there are more to the endorsements than that - like TV commercials and print ads and such.  I think that @Rainmaker's post applies to these things.

A name that comes to mind is Brett Favre.  He is not in the public eye AT ALL these days except on TV commercials.  There are a buttload of Wrangler and Copper Fit commercials on TV daily with him on there, on that type of advertising, I believe, IS the find where they hope you'll want to use the product because somebody else does.  The funny thing is, I (and perhaps others) don't think more highly of the crummy product because of the celebrity endorser, but rather we think a little less of the celebrity endorser because of the crummy product. :P

These new U cut Wranglers are so comfy, thanks Brett!  As far as celebrity endorsements, I feel it depends on the history of the brand.  If its established like Coke, then the ad is purely to show their reach.  If its new, the celebrity is to bring in a sense of credibility.  The latter never has an effect on me.

But yeah, I am strictly talking about the logo placement aspect of these deals.  I would bet that is the majority of the money for this deal.  They would rather spend $10M on Jordan, who will likely be in the leader/main TV spot than somebody like Ben Crane.

Tony  

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!