IGNORED

You've reached professional status, would you accept a sponsorship of something you don't like?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sellout or not?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. You reached the status as a desirable pro golfer, would you promote something you didn't like?

• Sure. It's all business.
    • No way. I can't promote crap I would not sell.
    • Depends on how much they're giving me.
    • Depends on the product.

I wondered this after seeing Spieth's deal with Coke and I don't like any of their products. I don't not drink soda, sugary drinks and I do not care for hyper-filtered water but the cash amount I am sure is staggering. I am a pretty straight up guy and it would be hard for me to say how great something is when I don't feel it. Maybe some of you guys deal with this.

I am not sure I could use equipment that is inferior or performs that way either, and it seems like some pros relegate to doing that when they not as desireable.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't drink soda and wouldn't endorse if I was in Speith's position. I might endorse other products I don't feel strongly about if I didn't see the harm. Depends on the product.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

For me it would depend on the product and how much they are giving me. There are some things I would never promote but that list is somewhat small.

Put me in the depends on the product group. I can't endorse something I absolutely wouldn't support, but if it something I might not use but would, I could do it.

For example, if Pepsi wanted to sign me to a deal even though I drink Coke, that's not the end of the world. They both sell similar products.

If I were a vegetarian and McDonald's came knocking on my door, then I'd have to say no, regardless of how many Brink's trucks full of cash they back down my driveway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I don't drink Coke or Pepsi, but I don't really feel strongly enough against anything not to endorse stuff.

However, it seems like to endorse something you should have already been using it and are just making it public. It seems a little dishonest to endorse something you've never used before?

We'll also have to assume that whatever is being endorsed is acceptable to the general golfing public or the public in general.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I voted "depends....." I would never knowingly sponsor something that might be harmful to others. On the other hand I might sponsor something I did not use with the thinking someone else might get some good out of it. 

Truth be known I am in the minority that doesn't pay much attention to what's on peoples' shirts, or otherwise advertised.  Especially in the golf industry. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Any company, especially after it passes a certain threshold in size - "does harm" in a way, it's inevitable. To a segment of people, the environment, whatever. Whether a company is a palatable endorsement is all relative.

I know this. I sure as hell ain't endorsing 5 Hour Energy. :-P

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Depends ... ;)

Not only on the product though, but also on my current status as a player. If I had just reached the tour and was fighting for the card and actually needed the money (touring is expensive ..) I certainly would have a lot lower bars than if I were a world number 1 already and didn't really need it.

• Upvote 1

It depends on the amount of money, if there are any competing offers, and the downside to endorsing that product. Between Coke and Pepsi or Gatorade and PowerAde, there's essentially no downside. But if Halliburton wanted to emblazon my hat with a logo, that might be different.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think the key phrase in the title for me is "don't like". That's not the same thing as saying you don't use it. If you don't like something, how can you endorse it. "Hey, I don't like Coke, but maybe you will!" So, for me, I would not endorse something I don't like.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

I wondered this after seeing Spieth's deal with Coke and I don't like any of their products. I don't not drink soda, sugary drinks and I do not care for hyper-filtered water but the cash amount I am sure is staggering. I am a pretty straight up guy and it would be hard for me to say how great something is when I don't feel it. Maybe some of you guys deal with this.

I am not sure I could use equipment that is inferior or performs that way either, and it seems like some pros relegate to doing that when they not as desireable.

True.  OTOH, Spieth's involvement with Coke isn't as bad as some other golfer's involvement with coke.  Just sayin.. 

:-D

6 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

True.  OTOH, Spieth's involvement with Coke isn't as bad as some other golfer's involvement with coke.  Just sayin.. 

:-D

I know that those who have dealt with "coke", still highly endorse it...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Just now, Natural Patrick said:

They said it was not about the way it tasted, but more about the smell.

Oh, so that's what they're doing.  They're just smelling it.  Really hard.  :-D

I'm not sure that'd I'd ever reject a golf company's endorsement, as I assume any club or apparel company can custom fit stuff for a pro.  If it was non-golf related, it would definitely depend on the product and how much their paying.  Although, the rejection list is small.  Just because I don't drink Coke or use any of their products doesn't mean I wouldn't let them pay me to represent them.  But sure, if I had a huge moral issue against a certain product, of course I wouldn't take the deal.

In the end, it's easy for us to debate, but if someone actually put a deal for millions in front of our face, a lot of us might think twice about rejecting it.

• Upvote 2

In my mind, if I'm a tour player playing golf as my profession... I'm probably not going to care much about my image regarding endorsements. If Pampers came up to me with a fat check, I don't think I'd say no, I'm pretty sure I'd say "for an extra $X,XXX,XXX I'll even wear the diaper!". The larger the check, the higher chance they would have with me. But it would be a calculated value to my future. I wouldn't be terribly concerned with "fans" and "image" because the reality is that I'm trying to get more money. These folks that are "fans" of the Tiger, Speith, McIlroy... you should be their fan because they are GOOD and are ENTERTAINING and you are in AWE of their skills. Not because of their incomes, habits, personal stuff. I never understood that. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Note: This thread is 2926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!