IGNORED

2016 U.S. Open at Oakmont Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Curious - anyone following good Snapchat accounts for USO coverage? All I can find is Fowler's account and European.Tour for practice round coverage. Periscope as well?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Curious - anyone following good Snapchat accounts for USO coverage? All I can find is Fowler's account and European.Tour for practice round coverage. Periscope as well?

I'm also having trouble remembering what kind of online coverage FOX has for Thursday and Friday???

17 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm also having trouble remembering what kind of online coverage FOX has for Thursday and Friday???

The U.S. Open app's "watch live" shows two channels for featured groups and another for featured holes. I don't know which groups or which holes, but it's usually the case that you can go to  usopen.com, foxsports.com, or the app to link to streaming coverage.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Been listening in on some of the press conferences today. I love how every time a Japanese reporter is recognized, their question is always about what Hideki Matsuyama needs to do to win, regardless of who's at the podium.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

4 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Been listening in on some of the press conferences today. I love how every time a Japanese reporter is recognized, their question is always about what Hideki Matsuyama needs to do to win, regardless of who's at the podium.

Haha I noticed the same thing. You know the players probably joke about it too. Even prolly joke about it with Hideki.

Listening to one of the officials, it sounds like Thursday has the potential to be a complete washout. Very bad forecast. Just my luck, that's the day I have tickets. Last time I had tix to a US Open prior to 2010 was the first round of the 2009 US Open. We all know how that went.

Edited by ChrisP

35 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Yes, this has been driving me nuts. I come home for lunch on a Wednesday before a tournament starts and some Asian reporter asks some vague, oddly pieced-together question regarding Matsuyama. I have nothing against the guy, I like the guy, but common guys... phrase your questions a little better. Make them a little more relevant. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I would get it more if golf were more of a niche sport in Japan. But it's not. It's quite popular. I assume the majors are watched regularly. This isn't like the first Nigerian sumo wrestler competing in Japan.

"Witty golf quote."

I heard the host on PGA Tour XM ripping Jordan because he said during a US Open interview that he didn't enjoying signing autographs for eBay sellers.  The host felt it was insensitive of Jordan to not want to sign memorabilia for someone who intended to sell the item because that could be how that person makes a living.  

I sat in my car shaking my head that this is the level of entitlement our country has reached.  We now have radio hosts that expect professional athletes to waste their timing signing things for non fans, who just want to make a buck, because those people are entitled to make a living.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

16 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I heard the host on PGA Tour XM ripping Jordan because he said during a US Open interview that he didn't enjoying signing autographs for eBay sellers.  The host felt it was insensitive of Jordan to not want to sign memorabilia for someone who intended to sell the item because that could be how that person makes a living.  

I sat in my car shaking my head that this is the level of entitlement our country has reached.  We now have radio hosts that expect professional athletes to waste their timing signing things for non fans, who just want to make a buck, because those people are entitled to make a living.  

Why does everything have to be some sort of generality on the state of our society?  Why can't it just be about a single dumbass on the radio?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Why does everything have to be some sort of generality on the state of our society?  Why can't it just be about a single dumbass on the radio?

I guess it could be just a dumb ass on the radio but the mentality isn't exclusive to him given how others called in to agree that Jordan shouldn't have said what he did.  Maybe we're looking at multiple dumb asses.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

41 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Nothing ever spoken on sports talk radio is worth listening to.  

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

4 minutes ago, krupa said:

Nothing ever spoken on sports talk radio is worth listening to.  

You're right, Breed and Haney are usually on when I listen, but the channel happened to be on during a time I don't usually listen and this idiot was ranting and raving on how obnoxious Spieth was acting.  

Joe Paradiso

6 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I updated the first post in this thread with the tv and streaming schedules:

Bunkers are dangerous:

Periscope of GMac playing 7th hole, ~20 minutes:

https://www.periscope.tv/Graeme_McDowell/1YpJkpXZwyVxj

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

European Tour's guide of Oakmont, this one has great photos.

http://www.europeantour.com/sportteller-2/interactive-guide-oakmont/#Start

• Upvote 4

Steve

21 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

European Tour's guide of Oakmont, this one has great photos.

http://www.europeantour.com/sportteller-2/interactive-guide-oakmont/#Start

This is absolutely great.....thanks for posting

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

If conditions are soft on Thursday and Friday, some players may have to hit driver, especially if the pin is in the back.

Still, someone like Jason Day is going to hit a 2-iron all four days. That club served him very well at the Players.

Rory hit everything from 3W to 4I according to Rory himself in his press conference today.

8 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Par 3s are never played to their maximum distances in any case, just to preserve the tee boxes. If the pin is tucked in front one day, the tee will be up. If it rains one day, the tee will be up. The 288 tee will be used twice, at most.

You don't have to protect a tee box too much where most people hit an air-filled club. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't have to protect a tee box too much where most people hit an air-filled club. :-)

You don't take divots with a driver? :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!