IGNORED

Anyone Else Use 'Good Shots' to Measure How Good a Round Was?

Grumpter
Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No, I do the exact opposite.  I count how many OBs/Ball not found/Ball in hazard to decide how good/bad my round was.   0 - 1 = good.  2 - 3 = average.  4 and more = bad.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Seems like there are or should be products that allow you to do this automatically. The more automatic the better.

I think a product would come up short unless it specifically asked you 'was that last shot a good shot, fair shot or bad shot?'. Everyone has their own definition of what was a good shot is. Last night I was trying to hit my 46 degree gap wedge 130 yards to get to the 100 yard marker right in the middle of the fairway. It ended up right at the 100 yard marker and split the fairway but what product could tell that it was a low slice that got lucky? Also, sometimes a good approach shot does not have to be on the green to qualify as a good shot (in my book). Sometimes getting in a greenside bunker in 1 on a shorter par 4 or in the 2 on a par 5 are good shots in my book. Other holes the same result may be bad depending on the severity of the bunker. I think there are too many variables from player to player.

I don't necessarily keep track of the number of good shots, but I do consider it.

I am not (nor will ever be) good enough to really shoot a good score.  On occasion though, I can hit a pretty decent shot.  This is probably (more than anything else) keeps me coming back.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I just use the chart from the Lowest Score Wins. A simple and quick way to evaluate my round.

Cobbs52416.JPG

3=good, 2=average, 1=poor

• Upvote 3

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator
3 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

I just use the chart from the Lowest Score Wins. A simple and quick way to evaluate my round.

Cobbs52416.JPG

Bingo.

That's a good way to do it. Simple, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, Grumpter said:

Scoring is all well and good but I tend to measure my rounds by how many good shots I feel I hit. Last night in 9 holes I had 17 good shots which by measuring scale is very high but still shot a 5 over (4 over for handicap) which is good but not great. Anyone else run through their rounds afterwards and keep track of the good shots? I sure some will say you only played as good as your score but that's just their opinion.

The more good shots I have, the more fun I have. 

Shooting a lower than average score is a big reason I go out. It isn't the only reason, but it's important.

With many of my lowest scores, the rounds were kind of boring in regards to memorable shots. The "success" is usually a result of nothing really bad happening. But man, I do enjoy looking at that scorecard over and over again once I get home. 

On the other hand, when you shoot as many crappy scores as I do, the few awesome shots per round are often all that's worth looking back on. Thinking about those helps blur the reality.:-D

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

8 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This is why God gave us a brain, we don't need a product to do our thinking for us.  

And of course there ARE products, Game Golf and others, but recording beginning and ending points nearly automatically for each shot can't tell the entire story.  Wind, slope, lie, there are a bunch of variables that effect each shot, and consequently qualitatively influence my evaluation of each shot.  Every person is different this way, but I'm comfortable with the way I evaluate my rounds.

Great comment, Dave! I just love cashiers who have no idea how to make change. God help them if they enter the wrong amount "cash tendered"!

When I could play this game a little bit, after the round I would grab a beer or pop, grab a seat, and with my scorecard go over the round hole by hole, and shot by shot. That's the only way to really understand what you're doing out there.

I try my best to use good shots as a gauge to my progress and bad shots as a learning experience. I remember all shots after a round. I sometimes walk through the round in my head, hole by hole, and see if I chose the right strategy. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When I play a round, I actually try to track my 'awful' shots along with other stats and compare to Broadie's baseline to track where my consistency is relative to my unofficial HCP.

The very good shots I tend to remember without tracking, because they are what keep me coming back for more.

Kevin

No because it's pretty rare I hit a really good shot. Many are happy accidents. Good is relative to par for me. If I gave myself a chance it's a decent shot. But most don't end up as I conceived it in my mind and I know that in my planning that it's a big target. I think in certain areas, miss right to get up and down if I know going for the green brings trouble into play. If it ends up right of the green and leaves me a pitch uphill it's good whether I hit it to my number for that club or chunk it 15 yards short.

Dave :-)

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

When I play a round, I actually try to track my 'awful' shots

This is what I do as well.  If I play a poor round then there are a lot of these, so I don't really dwell too much, but if I played a good round, then it frequently boiled down to a couple of really good to great shots, a whole bunch of manageable ones, and a couple awful ones.  The awful ones are the ones I feel should be entirely avoidable, so those are the ones I try and recount later and assess what went wrong.

I had a decent round today but golf is a fickle something.  

On one Par 5 hole I had one of my longest drives ever, 270+ yards that found a fairway bunker in the middle of the fairway.  I then proceeded to hit one of my best and longest 7 irons out of a fairway bunker that went over 165 yards according to my rangefinder and rolled down a slight bank into a water hazard.  I dropped and hit what I thought was one of my best wedge shots ever, it landed two feet past the pin and spun back, right off the green and into the water again.  

So on a hole where I hit what I'd consider 3 great shots I ended up with an 8.  Golf is hard.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

29 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I had a decent round today but golf is a fickle something.  

On one Par 5 hole I had one of my longest drives ever, 270+ yards that found a fairway bunker in the middle of the fairway.  I then proceeded to hit one of my best and longest 7 irons out of a fairway bunker that went over 165 yards according to my rangefinder and rolled down a slight bank into a water hazard.  I dropped and hit what I thought was one of my best wedge shots ever, it landed two feet past the pin and spun back, right off the green and into the water again.  

So on a hole where I hit what I'd consider 3 great shots I ended up with an 8.  Golf is hard.  

I feel for you, but yep that sounds like golf to a 'tee'.

Kevin

A "Good Round" is one where I enjoy the course, my partners, the weather, etc.

I may have scored well, to my average, or poorly. There will be a few good shots (those which result in closely approximating the vision I had for them), a few average shots (for me a slight mishit that is not a disaster), and a few that are simply atrocious.

When the "Good Shots"  overwhelm the others, my score will be good... but that does not always mean to me that I had a "Good Round" (but of course it helps).

My best score this year I had a nasty head cold, felt poorly, but played well better than my average. The scorecard said "Good Round", my snot rag said "Go Home".

I did, however, remember the good shots as I swizzled the Canadian and honey when I lay on my sick bed the next day.

Maybe it was a Good Round after all! ;-)

Edited by CR McDivot
grammar

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, coachjimsc said:

Cobbs52416.JPG

I have not yet read the book - but are there objective criteria for what means 3 (good), 2 (average) or 1(poor)?  I have started to keep similar stats on my scorecard like Fairway (yes or no), GIR (yes or no),  Number of putts, penalty strokes.  The stats I just keep for info at this point - I don't measure my round by them.  Maybe after I have some more data built up, though.

Right now - I don't judge my round by specific "good shots", rather how well or poorly I hit it, in general.  I feel like there will be good breaks and bad.  I might make some poor decisions because I haven't really played all that much actual golf.  I don't really know what my distances are with each club.  But if I'm hitting it well, I'm happy.  To me, hitting it well means good distance, good trajectory and reasonable direction - ie, struck somewhat properly.  The rest is kind of out of my hands at this point.     

I'm pretty similar in this. My criteria is pretty much to hit a shot that won't compromise the next. This mindset seems to help me relieve a lot of my in-round stress to score well.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

13 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I have not yet read the book - but are there objective criteria for what means 3 (good), 2 (average) or 1(poor)?  I have started to keep similar stats on my scorecard like Fairway (yes or no), GIR (yes or no),  Number of putts, penalty strokes.  The stats I just keep for info at this point - I don't measure my round by them.  Maybe after I have some more data built up, though.

Right now - I don't judge my round by specific "good shots", rather how well or poorly I hit it, in general.  I feel like there will be good breaks and bad.  I might make some poor decisions because I haven't really played all that much actual golf.  I don't really know what my distances are with each club.  But if I'm hitting it well, I'm happy.  To me, hitting it well means good distance, good trajectory and reasonable direction - ie, struck somewhat properly.  The rest is kind of out of my hands at this point.     

For me I base the criteria on, for example Driving, a good (3) would be in the fairway and longer then my average drive. An average (2) would be in the fairway or just in the rough with avg distance and not in any trouble. Poor (1) would be anything not meeting the first two.

I also use this to determine what I need to work on and compare my rounds.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!