IGNORED

2016 Memorial Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, nevets88 said:

This is weird, Graham DeLaet WDing because of short game anxiety? 

It's the beard. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like we are going to see some really low scores today.  A lot of birdies so far on the front nine.  Hudson Swafford shoots a 29 on the front.

Putting together my fantasy team I noticed many scores @ 66,67, and even a 64 and 65 over the years... Looked for consistency and could not find it, On the ESPN site, which is the easiest to use I noticed the lack of 4 rounds in the 60s. Only Stricker in 2011, nothing for at least 10 years. Amazing that this course always jumps up and bites you in at least one round.. Especially when you consider during each round there are multiple 66 or better rounds...

Think this is exactly what Jack wanted, a course that test you every day and one mistake will take you down...Greens looked to be rolling fast today...

Now I don't feel so bad when I flub a pitch. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

I don't think I've seen Jason Day so clean-shaven before.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

16 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I don't think I've seen Jason Day so clean-shaven before.

I like it! 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Watching McIlroy, it's sick to think how good he could be if he was a good putter. Anytime you see him with a 10-footer you think instantly he's gonna miss it. You think the opposite with Spieth.

Dustin Johnson just hit his drive on 11 and the cameraman panned around a few times to find it because he didn't realize how far it went. Kinda funny.

He carried it 329...

- John

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Watching McIlroy, it's sick to think how good he could be if he was a good putter. Anytime you see him with a 10-footer you think instantly he's gonna miss it. You think the opposite with Spieth.

True, heard a stat yesterday from Faldo.  Tour avg from 20-25 ft, 11%.  Jordan from 20-25, 22%.  Rory?  5%.  Ouch.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Just now, Gunther said:

True, heard a stat yesterday from Faldo.  Tour avg from 20-25 ft, 11%.  Jordan from 20-25, 22%.  Rory?  5%.  Ouch.

Lucky for Rory 20-25 ft is a rare distance to put from. That is why it's a SV 1 skill. In 2015 PGA Tour players averaged 12 putts from that range the entire season. That means if Rory had 12 of those putts versus the PGA Tour average he's losing 0.6 stokes over the entire season. That is another example of how the announcers don't think more deeply about the stats they spew out. 

Rory is 183rd putting from inside 10 ft. Which he has had 485 attempts so far this year. 
He's ranked 2nd and 5th from 15-20 feet and 25+. So that 20-25 ft ranking is a strange stat anyways compared that he's really good from outside of 15 feet. 
He's ranked 148th from 10-15 ft. 

He has made 989 putts this year. He's ranked 148th or worse on 56% of those putts, the ones inside 15 ft. This tells me he has a bead or read issue with his putting. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Lucky for Rory 20-25 ft is a rare distance to put from. That is why it's a SV 1 skill. In 2015 PGA Tour players averaged 12 putts from that range the entire season. That means if Rory had 12 of those putts versus the PGA Tour average he's losing 0.6 stokes over the entire season. That is another example of how the announcers don't think more deeply about the stats they spew out. 

Rory is 183rd putting from inside 10 ft. Which he has had 485 attempts so far this year. 
He's ranked 2nd and 5th from 15-20 feet and 25+. So that 20-25 ft ranking is a strange stat anyways compared that he's really good from outside of 15 feet. 
He's ranked 148th from 10-15 ft. 

He has made 989 putts this year. He's ranked 148th or worse on 56% of those putts, the ones inside 15 ft. This tells me he has a bead or read issue with his putting. 

Interesting, I'd have guessed a lot more putts from that range.  Figures lie and liars figure holds true with golf too, I guess.

Faldo has been speculating for 2 days now that it's a read issue for Rory.   Which got me thinking if he might change his caddy.  Drastic, I know, but the thought popped into my head.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator

Check out the gallery of some of the images I took from the Memorial on Tuesday.

Some example images…

large.Memorial_2016_5.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_7.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_38.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_11.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_33.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_23.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_28.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_2.jpglarge.Memorial_2016_30.jpg

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

John Graham, with the Husky level in the back pocket.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

There are 7 players at 13 or 14 under at the start of the last round.  I'm guessing 18 under or better to win it.  If that's the case Jason Day, starting the day at 9 under, needs a 65 or better to have a chance.

Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!