IGNORED

TST Fall NW PA/NE OH (Erie, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.) Outing - August 13, 14

iacas
Note: This thread is 2815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Hey, you scored a round of golf with two college co-eds, that ain't nothing!  And came away from it without feeling too embarrassed about your play, if I read your post right, even though they're pretty good players.  

That was 3 college co-eds :-D, but I was speaking more specifically about how I do in these outings about the one club challenge being the only thing I've done well in the past.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Nobody really needs to arrive before about 4:30. I won't be there until then. They have a big tournament Saturday so let's not make things too complicated for Rob.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nobody really needs to arrive before about 4:30. I won't be there until then. They have a big tournament Saturday so let's not make things too complicated for Rob.

Glad you let us know this, would have been unfortunate for us to start showing up too early and causing issues.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Good, I'll cause problems at the hotel instead.

Actually ... looking at the map, it's a bit of a distance from the course. May not make it until 4:30 any way.

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Looks fair to me, yep. You're still not including Stableford and the odds of gaining no points on certain holes or net eagles, etc. 80% in my experience gives players a pretty fair shake at all levels.

We've used 80% forever.

Exactly! The idea of using 80% is to move you out of your "comfort zone" of 100% HI, in other words moving you further away from par than when applying your full handicap. You have to play better than your handicap in order to score!

Which is why I suggested multiplying by 1.25 for the plus handicapper. It's much like "markup" vs "margin" in business.

Let me see if I can explain it this way. I'm a 12.5 HI, so I'll be playing this Sunday as a 10. That's 80% of my full HI. But, to move me from a 10 back to my proper 12.5 you must multiply 10 times 1.25!

In business this is markup vs margin. Or what some people call "going up and coming down". If you buy an item for 10 dollars and "mark it up" 25%, you put it on your shelf to sell at $12.50. When you sell it, the amount of money you get to keep, gross, after paying for the item in question, is $2.50, which is 20% of the selling price. This is your profit "margin".

25% markup equals a 20% margin. This is why I suggested that the new guy, being on the plus side of the ledger, be "marked up" a little more.

11 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

At least right now the thunderstorms predicted are limited...they're mainly forecast for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  Ha.

Yea, it's not looking pretty. I am trying to be optimistic about it. I am hoping the forecast consolidates it to being more on Saturday than anything. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, it's not looking pretty. I am trying to be optimistic about it. I am hoping the forecast consolidates it to being more on Saturday than anything. 

It is what it will be, and it will be what it is.

I would really like to find participant #17. Who has a friend they can bring, or who can at least attend on Sunday? Let's find this 17th person today!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

At least right now the thunderstorms predicted are limited...they're mainly forecast for Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.  Ha.

Akron area calling for heavy rains both Saturday and Sunday as of last night's news.  Let's hope this does NOT include Norwalk area.  Plus, I'm playing an outdoor show Saturday night that is a 'rain or shine' event.

Ironic that it's rained 3 times in the past month ... all on golf days!

Keep 'em crossed for dry weather this weekend.  Golf isn't nearly as much fun in the rain!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Spoiler

@dave s   What is the name of your band? What instrument do you play.  I haven't played in a band in a couple of years now, miss it but play so much golf, don't have the time anymore.  I used to play bass in Heavy Metal band in Baltimore and then more classic rock in No. VA.  

Hope you guys get better weather than it looks like.  At least it won't be snow or sleet.  And then wind won't blow your ball off the green, right @Jeremie Boop.  :whistle:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

What the interwebs tell me, it's be like Waffle House hashbrowns. Scattered.

As far as a 17th man, anyone I know that might go would fall under the non-golfer category. Guys that don't do rules and don't have handicaps.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hope you guys get better weather than it looks like.  At least it won't be snow or sleet.  And then wind won't blow your ball off the green, right @Jeremie Boop.  :whistle:

Hey, you can play in snow and sleet and wind.  Not well, maybe, but you can do it.  Lightning and thunder, I'm in the bar, not on the course.

Good luck, guys!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

What the interwebs tell me, it's be like Waffle House hashbrowns. Scattered.

As far as a 17th man, anyone I know that might go would fall under the non-golfer category. Guys that don't do rules and don't have handicaps.

Ha ha.. +1..

Vishal S.

32 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@dave s   What is the name of your band? What instrument do you play.  I haven't played in a band in a couple of years now, miss it but play so much golf, don't have the time anymore.  I used to play bass in Heavy Metal band in Baltimore and then more classic rock in No. VA.  

I'll definitely be warmer, that's for sure. However, with possible 25 mph wind gusts a ball moving on the green may not be out of the realm of possibility.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'll definitely be warmer, that's for sure. However, with possible 25 mph wind gusts a ball moving on the green may not be out of the realm of possibility.

I want to see video.

- Shane

Do we still need 1 more? I may have a guy

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• Administrator
9 hours ago, dave s said:

Akron area calling for heavy rains both Saturday and Sunday as of last night's news.  Let's hope this does NOT include Norwalk area.  Plus, I'm playing an outdoor show Saturday night that is a 'rain or shine' event.

Akron isn't as close. Toledo/Cleveland would be a better forecast. Probably still lousy.

5 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

Do we still need 1 more? I may have a guy

Yes, @Slice of Life. We do.

Note: This thread is 2815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!