IGNORED

Turn that boombox down/off ... you idiot!

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see Pro-Am's where guys like Larry the Cable Guy and others listen to music while they play does that mean all their rounds are disqualified and aren't eligible to win?  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I see Pro-Am's where guys like Larry the Cable Guy and others listen to music while they play does that mean all their rounds are disqualified and aren't eligible to win?  

It should, since that is supposed to be a competition.  If not, then it's no more of a competition than WWF is.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

6 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

It should, since that is supposed to be a competition.  If not, then it's no more of a competition than WWF is.

I'm asking because Larry the Cable Guy, Kid Rock and others who listen to music have their scores shown on the leaderboard and final results.  It would seem the music rule isn't enforced during the Pro-AM's.  

Joe Paradiso

18 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'm asking because Larry the Cable Guy, Kid Rock and others who listen to music have their scores shown on the leaderboard and final results.  It would seem the music rule isn't enforced during the Pro-AM's.  

I think that's more fund raiser and entertainment than it is an actual tournament.  Sort of like a charity scramble. :whistle:

Rick

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

I think that's more fund raiser and entertainment than it is an actual tournament.  Sort of like a charity scramble. :whistle:

Seems that in Pro Am like Pebble Beach they can make a local rule that permits music.  

Joe Paradiso

37 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Seems that in Pro Am like Pebble Beach they can make a local rule that permits music.  

Yeah, the pro am at PB is a party. I have been a spectator there a few times. Fun times. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Playing music out of your cart is massively annoying, and should be banned, quite frankly. No one wants to hear your shitty music. It's common courtesy. I've had brief glances with someone doing this, but it's never been a direct issue. People are out trying to play golf, and 99.9% of us want as much quiet as we can while playing.

If this became a common thing at golf courses, I'd probably find something else to do with my free time. 

5 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

If you agree to play with people listening to music you are 100% agreeing to listening to music while you play, which is against the rules. I agree you don't have control over what they do, but you have control over what you do which includes playing with them while they listen to music.

We're getting OT here, so I'll move the discussion to the rules forum, but I guarantee that a single who is paired with a group that happens to be playing music during the round is not prohibited from posting his round.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

i've been invited to play in a Member/Guest tournament in September (as the Guest). from what i've been told, nearly everyone in the field has music going throughout the round. currently, i'm putting together a playlist for each day:

Thursday (2 man Scramble): old school metal...Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax

Friday (2 man Best Ball): rap...Eminem, Wu Tang Clan, Dr. Dre, NWA, Too Short

Saturday (Individual Stroke Play): Irish drinking songs...Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, The Rumjacks, The Pogues, The Skels, Young Dubliners

can't wait. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Elrey Desol said:

i've been invited to play in a Member/Guest tournament in September (as the Guest). from what i've been told, nearly everyone in the field has music going throughout the round. currently, i'm putting together a playlist for each day:

Thursday (2 man Scramble): old school metal...Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax

Friday (2 man Best Ball): rap...Eminem, Wu Tang Clan, Dr. Dre, NWA, Too Short

Saturday (Individual Stroke Play): Irish drinking songs...Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, The Rumjacks, The Pogues, The Skels, Young Dubliners

can't wait. :thumbsup:

You could not pay me to play in that tournament, and I like Maiden and Priest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

You could not pay me to play in that tournament, and I like Maiden and Priest.

Yeah.... thankfully my club's member guest is played under the rules of golf, just like the rest of their tournaments. 

Rick

On 7/29/2016 at 6:01 AM, Strandly said:

Why do you even ask if you're not willing to turn it off.

That way if they do mind, he can tell them to join someone else?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

This is the first that I have heard about people playing music while golfing.

I am a music JUNKIE, but one of the reasons I enjoy golf is the relatively quiet experience.

• Upvote 2

A buddy of mine always brings his.  I'm not a huge fan but it also doesnt bother me.  I played at a club in San Jose earlier this year and we ended up playing with another pair -- the guy was playing opera in his cart.  Not blasting it, but it was audible.  I'm not an opera fan, know nothing about it, but have to say I really enjoyed it. 

• Administrator
On July 29, 2016 at 11:11 PM, David in FL said:

Yup.  Even though it's not loud to begin with, requested or not, if we approach a tee box with another group teeing off, the music is turned down.  Common courtesy.

Common courtesy? Please…

Common courtesy is if someone asks you to turn off the music, that you turn off the music. Just as it would be if someone says "can you put that cigar out?" or "can you not smoke around me?" Your right to wave your fist about ends at someone else's nose, and your right to play music ends at their ears.

If you must have music playing during your round, wear ear buds or something.

There's an expectation that you can play golf without having to listen to someone else's music, particularly as it is against the rules.

On July 29, 2016 at 11:11 PM, David in FL said:

As I said, we would never force our preference on others.  Sadly, many don't feel that way and believe that the rest of the world should always conform to their own preferences.

Uhh, you are forcing your preference on others!

On July 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM, David in FL said:

As an interesting, admittedly strawman comparison, should a group that I'm joining as a single bow to my personal insistence that we play strictly by the rules, even though they do not?  What if they're all smokers?  Should they refrain from smoking simply because smoke bothers me?  Of course not.  If either bothers me, I'll simply opt not to play with them.

If they're all smokers they should refrain from smoking around you if you ask, or having the courtesy to keep their smoke away from you, just as you could keep your music away from them with earbuds. Or by not playing music to begin with.

Except smoking isn't against the Rules of Golf. Playing music is.

On July 30, 2016 at 0:46 PM, David in FL said:

....but then the question becomes, at least for our somewhat tangential discussion, who's being discourteous?  The individual who wants to join another group but also insists that they abide by his preferences, or the group who has no objection to a stranger joining them, but does not wish to change their own style of play in doing so and only expects that the stranger will accept the manner in which the remainder of the group chooses to play?

You do. Virtually no golfer has the expectation that they're going to have to listen to someone else's music while playing golf. They may have to endure a few bad jokes, or help look for the balls of strangers, or have to sit next to a guy who might need more deodorant, but listening to music is not a realistic expectation.

On July 30, 2016 at 2:33 PM, David in FL said:

No you haven't.  No more than playing with someone who violates any other rule invalidates your round.  You're no agreeing to waive the rules and you have no control over what they do.

Yes, it's against the rules. You're breaking the rules, and as others have said, causing him to be in violation as well. Not only of the rules, but common courtesy and etiquette too.

Wow, @David in FL. Pretty disappointing answers from you here. I'd ask you to turn off the music if I was to join you, and I'd be more than annoyed if you didn't. I'd probably ask again after a few holes. I have a reasonable expectation to not being subjected to someone else's music while on the golf course. You do not have a reasonable expectation that you can annoy your fellow golfers. Your smoking example doesn't even work because those people, too, should exhibit courtesy toward others who have a reasonable expectation NOT to inhale second hand smoke for four hours.

Buy a set of earbuds if music is that important to you.

On July 30, 2016 at 4:16 PM, newtogolf said:

Local Rules are narrowly defined, and many are pre-written by the USGA for use in common situations. Those tournaments are more for entertainment than God's honest golf.

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To those on the side of the fence that it's acceptable to play your music at any level that can be heard by someone in your or any other groups)... what is your argument to just wearing some freaking ear buds? Is that too much to ask?

:doh:

• Upvote 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

A lot of people at my club enjoy listening to music while they play. It's almost always country or classic rock, and it's at a volume where you can't hear it unless you're within about 30 yards or so? Maybe less. It's not obtrusive. 

So that being said, I'm quite often playing with friends who are playing music. Sometimes it's annoying, like when I'm addressing my ball, I've made four bogeys in a row, and I can hear "Hotel California" playing softly from my friend's golf cart 30 feet away. Usually though, it's fine, and I don't care. And every now and then, it's actually kind of nice, like when a happy-go-lucky country song comes on in the middle of a hot July round, I'm playing well, and we're all having fun. 

I prefer the natural sounds of the golf course though and the quiet calm before each shot. No biggie either way though, so if you want to listen to some tunes while we play, go ahead.

...I guess it's not that bad if we're riding around in fast carts, I'm only 3-over thru eleven holes, it's July 4th weekend, and this comes on :-D:

Constantine

I like to play quiet symphonic music (lyrics get stuck in my head and mess with my swing) in my cart when I use one, but not at a volume that can be heard more than 5-10 feet from the cart (or when the cart is in motion). I haven't had anyone notice the music as far as I'm aware, though I'd happily turn it off if someone were to ask.

I like to listen to music, others don't. I don't play mine loud enough that others have to hear it, since I'm playing it just for me to hear while I wait on others to hit their shots. I used to use earbuds occasionally when I was walking but the cord would tug on my ears when I moved my bag on/off my shoulders, so I just play without it when I walk since I can't "shape" the noise as easily as in a cart (putting the phone in the front cubby redirects nearly all the noise towards you allowing you to both prevent it from being heard by others and play it at a softer volume, helping further with the not being heard by others bit).

Note: This thread is 2784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!