IGNORED

If Meat Eaters Acted Like Vegans...

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Amount of meat eaten aside, based on my own experience, it's not meat that's a problem, it's portion size, too few veggies and fruits, too much processed food, too much sugar. That's why it's so hard to keep your weight down, stay healthier, in the US. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Calories are kind of tough to judge by portion size unless you know what to look for. Even with some recently touted heathy foods it can be deceiving. Half an avocado has the same calories as nearly 6 cups of broccoli. In the US where we have convenience eaters and lack of nutrition education people make poor decisions because they don't know better. Every fall I see people trying to slim down for the holidays doing silly things like eating handfuls of nuts or whatever because it's the latest health fad. The look on someone's face when you tell them that couple bites of nuts they ate is the caloric equivalent to eating half a cheeseburger is priceless.

Dave :-)

3 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Calories are kind of tough to judge by portion size unless you know what to look for. Even with some recently touted heathy foods it can be deceiving. Half an avocado has the same calories as nearly 6 cups of broccoli. In the US where we have convenience eaters and lack of nutrition education people make poor decisions because they don't know better. Every fall I see people trying to slim down for the holidays doing silly things like eating handfuls of nuts or whatever because it's the latest health fad. The look on someone's face when you tell them that couple bites of nuts they ate is the caloric equivalent to eating half a cheeseburger is priceless.

I agree, people make it harder than it should be. It's simple, instead of ordering the deluxe burger, order the regular one, split your fries with your wife, skip a meal, eat 1/2 to 3/4 of what you normally eat. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't know any hardcore vegans so I've never experienced the stereotype. I do know a couple vegetarians and I've dabbled with it myself but not for any anti meat reasons. I love any style of tofu curry tofu is great for soaking up flavors. 

Dave :-)

I work with a woman who is a vegetarian (not quite vegan) and a member of PITA. The thing is, she's not in the least bit obnoxious about it. If you start a conversation with her she'll state her opinions, but she doesn't preach. To me, that makes her point of view much easier to consider.

I'm a hunter and while she doesn't favor hunting, she seems to have more of a problem with "factory" livestock farms.

As is the case with any group, the vegan population is made up of reasonable people and those who are not. And just like any other groups, the obnoxious members leave the lasting impressions.

Jon

I have a relative that is a Vegan and is a real pain in the a$$ during the holidays.  He interrogates the host to make sure the non-meat portions of the meal were made in pans that were not used for meat and that he can read all the ingredients in canned goods.  He then sits at the table and shakes his head and lectures us as we "barbarians" indulge in animal flesh and  related products.  He's a real fun guy to be around.  

Joe Paradiso

9 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I have a relative that is a Vegan and is a real pain in the a$$ during the holidays.  He interrogates the host to make sure the non-meat portions of the meal were made in pans that were not used for meat and that he can read all the ingredients in canned goods.  He then sits at the table and shakes his head and lectures us as we "barbarians" indulge in animal flesh and  related products.  He's a real fun guy to be around.  

I have a theory that people like that would be assholes no matter what. Being vegan just gives them an excuse. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

18 minutes ago, jamo said:

I have a theory that people like that would be assholes no matter what. Being vegan just gives them an excuse. 

Come to think of it he was an asshole before he became vegan but now he's even more obnoxious and annoying.  

Joe Paradiso

On 8/7/2016 at 1:11 PM, newtogolf said:

Come to think of it he was an asshole before he became vegan but now he's even more obnoxious and annoying.  

Take a baseball bat to him, or just start stabbing him with your knife. Maybe he'll get the message, but somehow I doubt it!

On 8/7/2016 at 11:53 AM, jamo said:

We had this group of friends that we met when we first got to town.  They were all mostly vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, etc.  I used to call them "The no-fun hippies".  Worst dinner parties ever.  And they were all pretty much pains in the asses about everything . . especially parenting because it was a new parents social group type thing.  If they saw you let your kid eat a hotdog . . .oh man . . .

And let me tell you something about gluten free vegan cupcakes . .they freaking suck!  I hope I never see another one again as long as I live.  Man, I'm glad we're out of that group, lol. 

41 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Vegan girls do taste better than their meat-eating counterparts...

How do you cook them?

Joe Paradiso

Um, wtf happened here?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

Your not one of those. '' if it smells like fish eat it " guys are you ?

Those would be the meat eaters...

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!