IGNORED

1 putt vs 3 putt

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 2778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Go for the one putt or avoid the three putt  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you try to make your first putt or avoid the three

• I try to make the first putt
    • I try to get it close to avoid the three putt

It really comes down to the distance. Like, I'm hoping to make every putt that I take, but realistically I know that beyond 10-15ft the odds are that it won't go in. But the process I take on every putt is the same, try to get the speed so that the ball would travel 9 inches past the hole if it misses.

Beyond that 10-15ft mark, the speed of the putt is the most important factor. Getting that right will go a long way to eliminating 3 putts.

Chris.:roll:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I try to make every putt, regardless of length. Obviously I don't, but it seems to always make my next putt easier. 

To me, planning on just getting close, is not much different than planning on a missed putt. 

I use to do that "inside 3 foot" thing, but eventually I decided that "inside the hole" left me closer to the hole when I do miss. 

One of my main putting practice routines is using another golf ball as a target, which obviously is much smaller than the hole. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I always attempt to sink the putt, in the hope that if it doesn't go down it will be close. As we all know putting is a game in it's self. It can take people years to find out what works for themselves, and what putter works best. My friend recently spent a £1 on an old putter with a marble head, and he can't miss a thing. My putting recently improved when I decided to move my left foot level with the ball. I now have a far better idea of pace and accuracy, but that doesn't mean it will work for someone else

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

My philosophy is simple.  Avoid the three putt first and then look at the one putt.  Putt it with the goal of the ball being no more than say two feet or so from the hole.  If it goes in, brilliant, if not, I will get the two putt.  Of course, this is easier said than done :-\

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

4 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I tried to get it close when it's about 15 feet or longer.   

Same

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I visualize a line to make the putt every time. It doesn't matter if it's a 40 footer or a 3 footer.

On a severe downhill putt, I may visualize the cup being 3 feet short of it's actual location and putt to that. Just the opposite for a severe uphill putt, sometimes I'll look 2-3 past the cup and try to hit it to that point.

There are times when I'll take some break out of a putt and hit it a little firmer. 90+% of the time though I'm trying to hit putts so they would finish 1 foot or less past the hole if I miss.

Make the putt - I always play to make the putt.  If I do that I'll be in that 3 foot range more often than not, so why not try to hole it?  Nothing else makes any sense to me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I pretty much go for it every time I putt.  I usually end up real close if I miss it.

My putting has been really good this year and I have limited my 3 putts to usually only 1 or 2 a round.

Last week on the back 9 I had 12 putts.  That's the kind of stats I like to see.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

If you focus on not 3-putting, your brain will hold on to the image of a 3-putt. Focus on your target whether that is the hole or an interim target a few feet in front of your ball. I just try to think of line and speed and then execute. If it goes it, great. If not, such is life.

- Shane

3 hours ago, pganapathy said:

My philosophy is simple.  Avoid the three putt first and then look at the one putt.  Putt it with the goal of the ball being no more than say two feet or so from the hole.  If it goes in, brilliant, if not, I will get the two putt.  Of course, this is easier said than done :-\

Just about every shot in golf is easier said than done. lol. :-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I try to make every putt. I mean, if you put a good stroke on a putt you plan on making....if you miss, it should theoretically be close. 

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I don't necessarily always try to make a putt, especially the longer ones. What I do is try to make sure I give myself a short 2nd putt at max. I'm sure you've heard about imagining a circle around the hole that you are trying to get the ball into when putting from far away. Most of the time this works out pretty well for me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Make the putt.  I always want my ball, speed-wise, to go no more than 18in past the hole no matter how long the putt is.  Reading the green has it's art especially the double+ breakers.  But I always want to try and make it.  If I start thinking oh just get it within 10% of my total distance or whatever that rule of thumb is, it will inevitably not work.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Try to make the putt.

I suppose the only time I wouldn't thinking sink the putt would be on a crazy downhill slope where I'm unsure of the speed of the green. I might play it safe - better to hit softer than I think it should be hit and have it come up short than watch it roll off the green. It just doesn't happen very often. Even in that scenario it almost qualifies for trying to make the putt. I'm trying for the right line and anticipating more roll.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

The poll has a false premise that those two options are mutually exclusive, so I didn't answer.

The best way to expand the size of the hole, and thus make more putts, is to have it traveling slowly as it passes, which means it stops close and you also avoid three putts.

The answer is BOTH. :)

• Upvote 5

I always try to make everything.  I am surprised to see people say that they are hoping to get it close from 15 feet even...15 footers are very makeable putts, and many times if you are wanting to shoot a lower score, those are the ones you need to have fall.  Unless your throwing darts at the pins and have 10 footer or less..the people saying they just try to get it close from 15 feet might want to start going for those and watch your scores drop.  Even from 25-30 feet I am still looking to make the putt.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!