IGNORED

Are there any golf courses that really hate you ?

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a course near where I live which is the sister course to the one I am a member. It is absolutely gorgeous, and part links. It is beautifully manicured, and has a great variation of holes. However, I have now played it four times, and every time it makes me look stupid. I am not joking, I am sure it growls at me every time I pull up in the car park. Today I am sure I heard it say "today I will make you look really stupid", and it did. Six blobs on the first 10 holes (yes, 6). Fortunately I played quite well on the last 8, and rescued some respectability. 

Are there any course you have played, that continue to spit in your face ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Oh yes. As they say, "horses for courses". I play Fossile Trace a few times a month. When I first played it, I didn't like it as I thought it was "gimmicky."

may be karma is taking revenge on me. Now that I've played many times, I actually like the course, but the course still hates me. Once in a while I get my revenge but for the most part, the course has my number. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is a seemingly very easy exec course near my work and we absolutely hate each other. I never play well there, in fact, I regress when I'm there. I flub chips shots, hit my hybrids fat, hit balls in the water, etc. I can't stand the geese, the ground is too damp, the staff is inefficient - it just irritates me being there. But I keep going back because of my ego! I feel like the course needs to be "defeated".

Edited by Kalnoky

There are plenty of courses that I don't play well, but still enjoy playing as it is a challenge.  River Bend Golf & CC in Great Falls VA for one, is an awesome course that i don't play very well.  Westwood CC in Vienna VA is another one that I didn't play well the first time but the last two times it has grown on me, as I figured out how to play the course.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

There is a course on the Ohio/PA border that for years would be a once per year trip and it would humble all of us.   It's hard to place exactly why, it's not overly difficult.  Little tight in some places, but it messed with anyone who went that I know.

My home course, soon to be my ex-home course, is like that.   It's 145 slope and it has illegal drop areas and hazards for pace of play and to make it play easier.   Very few people actually like it.   Our handicaps travel very well from it.

—Adam

2 of them, one I hate, one I love.  

Firewheel Lakes, stupid course, I hate every single hole out there.  I did manage an 81 around it once but if I'm playing well, an 84 is usually the best I can do.  And, of the few 90+ scores in my hcap tracker record over the years, I'd bet this course accounts for 75% of them.  My buddy's old man loves it, however, which is why I'm stuck playing it 6 or 7 times a year.

Tour 18 Dallas.  Just a monster of a course, don't play it often so lack of knowledge is part of it but it eats my lunch every time.  Love it to death, despite my lack of ability around it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

idk if " the course " hates me...... but i may have a love hate relationship with certain courses.....

i have a few courses in my area that i have played often, and everytime i go to play them, i show up with the , " this is the day i will make you my bitch " attitude..... and usually leave with a i hate this course!!!  but i will be back to try to tame you....    

there is one called Diamond Springs, in Hamilton, Michigan that is a gem... it can make you look good or like a fool..   

Clearbrook golf course is about 10mins from me and is the same way..... very nice fast AF greens, but it's tough, only if you end up off the fairway or first cut..... 

It is what it is

Oakland Hills, but I think she hates everyone. She is mean and vindictive, most likely built on a native-american burial ground. However, she is beautiful and the delightfully curved greens and sleek fairways. It's hard to believe that there is something gorgeous in that state up north. I doubt, that I ever see her again, but I will always have fond memories of whippings that she gave me.

- Shane

Unfortunately, it's one of my home courses. Kittyhawk's Hawk Course absolutely kills me every time I play it. It seems the hazards (water and dirt bunkers) are in all the wrong spots. I know where each and every one of them is and I still can't avoid them. I can't remember when exactly, but I did shoot a 94 out there once. It seems like a long time ago. 

People think the other Kittyhawk course, the Eagle, is tougher just because it's longer. That definitely isn't the case for me.

My league course eats me up way more than it should. The course rating is sickeningly low and my average score there is as high or higher than any course I play that is rated higher. In general that is because my score is inflated the most by OB shots/lost balls so unless a course is so wide open that OB is next to unreachable and there are almost no places you can lose a ball I'm going to score the same everywhere. My score only gets worse if the course is super tight with a lot of potential lost ball areas. Typical response to that is play shorter clubs off the tee so you don't lose the ball but if I'm going to hit a bad shot off the tee the club in my hands has next to no influence :-(

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's hard to believe that there is something gorgeous in that state up north.

Have you played Treetops in Gaylord?  Gorgeous...

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Have you played Treetops in Gaylord?  Gorgeous...

Nope. I've only played Oakland Hills and TPC Michigan. Come to think of it, that course hates me too. 

- Shane

Plantation golf club in frisco!!! The courses water hazards tend to kick my @!! All over the place. Ive shot so many 91s and such there it's ridiculous!! 91 is a good score for me but most days I play plantation, I limit the damage and put together some great holes. But its never enough to break 90, which several golfers OTHER than myself say I should do regularly on this course. I usually just accept the fact that I kind of suck and that means I just dont deserve to break 90 most days

I would say there are holes that hate me, but not entire courses. The one course that eats many balls for me is The Savanahs in Brevard County in FL. It has a lot of water. I've played it twice as the first course on a winter FL trip. Maybe I should save it for the last. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

All of them really.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, CarlSpackler said:

Nope. I've only played Oakland Hills and TPC Michigan. Come to think of it, that course hates me too. 

Carl - you need to get up beyond the metro Detroit area.

As for this thread, for me it is more about certain holes than about a course. One that seems to be in my head is #5 at Clearbrook; not a long par 5 at just under 500 yards, but there is a dropoff for your blind 2nd shot to a narrow landing area with trees on both sides and a creek that makes going for it virtually impossible and a terrible risk/reward if you are close enough. Should be an easy wedge into the green, but this hole hates me and I seem to find braches or side hill lies everytime I play it.

Players play, tough players win!

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Carl - you need to get up beyond the metro Detroit area.

As for this thread, for me it is more about certain holes than about a course. One that seems to be in my head is #5 at Clearbrook; not a long par 5 at just under 500 yards, but there is a dropoff for your blind 2nd shot to a narrow landing area with trees on both sides and a creek that makes going for it virtually impossible and a terrible risk/reward if you are close enough. Should be an easy wedge into the green, but this hole hates me and I seem to find braches or side hill lies everytime I play it.

Now that I'm in FL, I doubt I make it up there at all. 

I am the same way. I can think of MANY holes that hate me.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!