IGNORED

Winter Threads for Golf - What Works for Warmth

Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Should of let us know you were up here...

At that time, I was on hiatus. Plan on the Spring - May.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's get one thing straight:  I DESPISE being cold in any way, shape or form.  I live in NE Ohio where to me, it's cooler than I'd prefer about 8 months out of every year.  My league begins on the first Thursday of April each year.  For the first 8-10 weeks, (yes, into JUNE for Pete's sake!) the weather can be cold enough to layer on way to many layers to swing a golf club without restriction.

Here's a few of the items I find useful: 1) Under Armor Cold Gear base layer.  It has a mock neck collar, is stretchy and fits tightly to my body.  Buy one size smaller so it fits your upper body like a golf glove. 2) standard long johns under whatever pants I choose to wear. The long johns are enough to keep the wind off my lower body and keep me warm.  3) A zero restriction outer layer that zips up to my chin. 4) My FJ rain- and wind-proof outer shell.  Heck, even if it doesn't rain, it's impervious to wind.  Zip up to chin.  5) Any longish ski type hat that covers ears and long enough to cover the back of my neck.

That's about as good as I can do and still 'half-swing' a club enough to hit the dimpled ROCK around a course that isn't yet growing in April, May and early June in NE Ohio. I have winter gloves, but could use some down-filled mittens between shots.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

(edited)

I like the suggestions - base layer, shirts/pants, sweater, shells - I also have a neck gaiter. And a pair of those big mitts that one company gave me for buying a shell. Haven't worn them yet.

Slightly off topic - when I played in Mass, I noticed that in 40 degrees, I'd left the balls in the trunk overnight and they were extremely cold. I put 3 balls in my pocket an hour before tee time and they warmed up. I would guess everyone keeps golf balls in the house the night before, and a few balls in your pocket during the round during cold weather. I have little experience in 40 degree cold weather play but I assume that's what y'all do.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have several layering plans depending on the temp. Slightly cool I wear a light UA base layer, shirt and windbreaker. Colder I will wear a thicker UA base layer, shirt and windbreaker. Colder still and it's the previous and a Mizuno Windlite sweater. Still colder it's the previous topped off with a Zero Restriction Windstopper jacket. One of the above gets me comfortably through most playable weather.

I will play down to about 40°F I think. I may have played one or MAYBE two days under freezing but it's certainly not something I'll play in back-to-back or something. 

@ 40°F, first off I will likely be walking. I don't think I play a single cart in the winter time unless it's with direct family members. I'll wear thermal socks in my normal golf shoes (very breathable, so I don't get sweat-wet feet which sucks), I have clip-on (actually, "Velcro-on") mitts for my push cart which work fantastic. I wear my looser fitting khakis with light "sweatpants" (more athletic-type pants) underneath. For the top I'll have a light sweat-wicking long sleeve shirt with a higher-quality thin jacket that's "flow-y" to not impeded my swing as much. In-between shots, I'll have a larger zip-up jacket that goes on and off easy to cut the wind down. Most importantly, I have a comfortable high quality beanie that goes well past my ears. 

My biggest word of advice, ALWAYS wear lotion at these temps! Especially on your face! :)

Edit: also, my second word of advice: STRETCH! Get loose and stay loose to avoid injuring yourself at these temps! It's easy to get tight and get hurt. :)

Edited by jkelley9
  • Upvote 1

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I use the Carharrt brand thermal uppers and lowers, with a golf shirt next, followed by a woolen sweater that is not very restrictive to my swing.  If it is very wind I will wear a light jacket but prefer not to. That is all I need since for my own comfort and the health of my back I am off the course below 50F. 

• Upvote 1

I'll play as long as the ground isn't frozen and the course is open (though one time I did play on frozen turf, it was fun).

Definitely layer. I usually gear up with Under Armor, then a long sleeved polo and a fleece pullover. I have a vest to go over that, keeps the core warm and the arms free. If I start to get warm I can shed.

I'll usually wear some type of long underwear and long socks underneath my regular pants, too.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If it's cold enough, wool on the inside. If not as cold, I'll bring a fleece or similar jacket for keeping warm, but can also be removed if it gets too hot. If it's windy or possibility for rain, I'll bring wind/rain gear and an umbrella. Sometimes I've brought an insulated jacket that I wear anytime I don't hit the ball, so I can wear less when I'm hitting.

Always a winter hat if my ears are cold and a pair of warm gloves I put on between shots. Maybe a headband if ears get cold, but top of the head wants to breathe. I don't wear a glove while playing normally, but I have a few times worn winter gloves on both hands.

Footwear according to weather and possibly wool socks if it's cold.

I'd rather be a bit too warm than slightly cold when playing golf. I don't mind playing in cold weather. It's better than playing in the rain.

• Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On October 29, 2016 at 10:03 PM, CarlSpackler said:

Winter threads? I'll go with shorts and a breathable polo shirt. 

In January I did wear hiking pants and a long sleeved shirt. Florida's golf challenge is playing the afternoons June-August. I won't do that anymore because I sweat to death even in the mornings. 

Layer with UA and if it somehow gets too warm, as it does on occasion, it is easy to take off a layer or two. As I get older I find that I don't play more than nine holes in the winter unless it gets over 45* by the back nine.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:23 AM, cristphoto said:

topped off with a Zero Restriction

I love their stuff, the biggest dislike I have is wearing clothing which pulls in areas of the shoulder, arms and wrists.

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

If it's cold enough, wool on the inside. If not as cold, I'll bring a fleece

I like light wool sweaters, topped with a fleece vest. On colder days, then the ZR is usually worn.

I enjoy golfing year round, but I also enjoy a little time off from playing.
I try to break up the winter in several manners. I'll hit the clubs heated indoor practice facility more often than playing.
Play mostly on days that are sunny with light or no wind is reasonably comfortable without excessive winter gear.

Many of the days I'll use the cart cover with the heater on to keep the hands warm.
A little Kahlua or Bailey's in the coffee helps keep the spirits warm.
And a couple of short trips south to golf with friends is always good for the soul....

A little OT, I also like the off season to watch the tour's play and try, notice I said try, to beat @gogolfing at Fantasy Golf ...

And last but not least, I'll work on golf programs and Apps which I write, updating stats and analysis for the next season.

• Upvote 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I've played every month since June 2015. I live in Skokie IL. Last winter was mild and the coldest I played in was 25* and I was warm the whole time.  I layered with long underwear, a cotton golf shirt and a hoodie. What kept me the warmest as walking the course and bringing HOT coffee in a mug, At the turn I'd go into the clubhouse and get more coffee and ask them t nuke it for a minute. By the 12th hole it was drinkable and would last to the end. One other cold weather tip, I did buy an awl to make a hole for the tee. :)

I think most people have good suggestions, but I have another one: walk. I always walk when it's cold out, and that helps keep you warm. You don't have to wear as many layers when you're walking.

Beyond that, layers, beanie, and winter gloves are a must.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!