IGNORED

I quit golf...now what?

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Need something to do for a little me time every week. Golf is dead to me. Its been a long time coming but Im done. Its too hard, too costly, and it takes waaaaaaay to long. Golf isnt going to fix slow play and golf isnt going to get easier so Im out. But what the heck do I do now?

Huh?

On 10/25/2016 at 1:08 AM, stealthhwk said:

I love golf! Im an addict who just cant quit!!! I wanted to take a brief moment to start a thread to thank everyone on this forum. Nobody gets me the way yall do. You guys and gals have my back when golf is kickin my @!!. You guys give me some place to talk golf which no doubt saved my marriage. Your insight and tips have helped my game. I have few friends, but you all seem like friends Ive had for years. I hope to meet a few of yall for some golf sooner or later but in the meantime, thanks for being awesome! And special thanks to @iacas for creating this place! Fairways and greens and may all your putts go in!!!

Does not compute.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you do quit, do a youngster a favor, and donate all your golf stuff to a junior program :-)

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Get better at it.

Play a bit less; only as much as you can afford.

Play 9 holes.

Tried to get better. I dont have time for practice or lessons. Ive watched Tom Watsons lessons of a lifetime and most of Butch Harmons dvd. Hell at 4-5 hours I dont have time to even play golf. 

Its not so much the cant afford part, as justifying money spent to be miserable.

9 holes would work for me, except in my area, 9 holes cost about four to eight dollars less than 18 which just seems stupid.

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Golf is hard, but I disagree on the time and cost being a real issue.  Sounds a little like the Fox and The Grapes.  Nothing worth while comes easy.  

If you're a 19 index you've gotten past the hardest part, you can go to any club and play a decent round.  Off the top of my head I can't think of many activities that are fun, take little time to participate and are cheap.  I guess you could start a vegetable garden or ask your wife i'm sure she'll find some "fun" things for you to do.  

I was a 19 and after shooting an astounding 83 a while back I thought Id finally learned how to play golf. Apparently one can shoot 83 completely by accident. I haven't shot less than 95 since. 

4 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Instruct?

Those who cant do, teach, right. 

1 hour ago, sirhacksalot said:

Try speed golf , it's golf, it's quick, it's exercise . 

Id love too!!! Show me a course where you can play speed golf. Heck, Id settle for kinda speed golf. Speed and golf dont go in the same sentence.

5 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I think golf is working on slow play/time issues as discussed in other threads with poss 6 and 12 hole designs. But yeah, if you need a break, take it. You'll be back :beer:

Well, theyre not working on it in the Dallas Ft Worth area. Instead marshals say ' sorry for the slow play but we want everyone to have fun so i told them to take their time. And its 9 or 18. Suppose you could play six or 12 but ur paying for 9 or 18.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Huh?

Does not compute.

Yeah!!! EXACTLY!!! I truly felt that way. Ever since that post things have CHANGED. Cant play anything that looks like golf, and every round has taken 4.5 hours or more on a WEEK DAY! And Ive come to the realization I still dont know how to play golf even after an 83. What the hell is the point? Point used to be its fun and Im gonna learn and get better. Instead it turns out its painstaking and Ive found a way to get worse. Golf isnt fun anymore. 

There are a few things you can do...

1 - Play par 3 or short executive courses.  It won't take you that long and you never have play BMOC off the tee.

2 - Accept that you may always be a bogey+ golfer and just have fun playing.

3 - Don't ever get addicted to one activity as it is generally a recipe for disappointment.  Just add more activities and spread your passion around.

Truth is, you will probably never be a scratch golfer, but you will probably never have a 95mph fastball, or bowl 300, run a 2:10 marathon, etc.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

Move or play in a less busy area. If you were up here you wouldn't have a choice but to quit golfing. My course finally closes to walkers this weekend and it will be spotty after that.

Plus right now there is not that much in daylight hours so your course is more condensed when it comes to play time. Take the winter off.

Finally, you shot a low round for you and now can't play for beans. This is a common occurrence in golf. You start expecting to play that way every time and put pressure on yourself leading to increasing frustration. You gotta let it go. You will play at that level when it is comfortable and will only play worse if you try to force it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

41 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Move or play in a less busy area. If you were up here you wouldn't have a choice but to quit golfing. My course finally closes to walkers this weekend and it will be spotty after that.

Plus right now there is not that much in daylight hours so your course is more condensed when it comes to play time. Take the winter off.

Finally, you shot a low round for you and now can't play for beans. This is a common occurrence in golf. You start expecting to play that way every time and put pressure on yourself leading to increasing frustration. You gotta let it go. You will play at that level when it is comfortable and will only play worse if you try to force it.

May be common, but I certainly dont expect to play at that level. Thats a once in a lifetime event for a guy like me. But I figured I would at least break 100 my next few rounds.

9 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

May be common, but I certainly dont expect to play at that level. Thats a once in a lifetime event for a guy like me. But I figured I would at least break 100 my next few rounds.

Maybe but it is there and expectations whether trying break 90 or stay under 100, put tension in your swing. How long have you been playing?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

Maybe but it is there and expectations whether trying break 90 or stay under 100, put tension in your swing. How long have you been playing?

15 years. Just once or twice a year tho til 2005. Since 2005, once a week every week, weather permitting

You ask, what do I do now, but the reason you are quitting golf is because you don't have time for it.   Sounds like you don't need any advice as to what to do now, since your time is full already.  

On the other hand, there is one way to enjoy golf which takes less time and less money, and this is, go to the driving range. 

18 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

You ask, what do I do now, but the reason you are quitting golf is because you don't have time for it.   Sounds like you don't need any advice as to what to do now, since your time is full already.  

On the other hand, there is one way to enjoy golf which takes less time and less money, and this is, go to the driving range. 

Yah I've had a crap year from the perspective of my making time for rounds of golf.  Last round I played was early summer I think! 

But I've actually "enjoyed" the setback of not getting to the course and just focused on an hour here and there for the range, submitting videos to an instructor, reading about the fundamentals, etc  

It's very little pressure to just go back to basics and do what an instructor tells you to do. There is still frustration in not getting my body to do what I want it too, but it's not stressful. More of a combined mental/physical challenge that I'm determined to get through. If it were easy, what would be the fun?

maybe try that approach? I've enjoyed it as a stress relief from all the other crap in life- not as a hobby to add stress.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Consider bowling.  You can play against others or just you against the alley and "300".  Takes less time.  Costs less. Probably takes less effort to become competent (I say probably since I have not really tried to become competent at bowling).

Alternately, if the decision to quit is caused by a temporary fit of frustration, put the clubs away until March and see how you feel.  There are a fair number of us up north who store the bag in the basement in November and don't swing a club again until March or April.  Time away from the game helps to recharge one's interest.

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

Play more disc golf.

Seriously.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Need something to do for a little me time every week. Golf is dead to me. Its been a long time coming but Im done. Its too hard, too costly, and it takes waaaaaaay to long. Golf isnt going to fix slow play and golf isnt going to get easier so Im out. But what the heck do I do now?

A guy I used to play with on a semi regular basis at my club actually did what you just did.

He quit golf cold turkey.

He now spends his time cycling as much as possible.

Not sure if he will come back to golf when the cycling craze is over but he also like to fly fish a lot too.

I guess the only real answer is to do all that stuff you thought you should have been spending time and money on when you were playing golf.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

19 minutes ago, ay33660 said:

A guy I used to play with on a semi regular basis at my club actually did what you just did.

He quit golf cold turkey.

He now spends his time cycling as much as possible.

Not sure if he will come back to golf when the cycling craze is over but he also like to fly fish a lot too.

I can relate. I took a hiatus from golf for several years, except my time was spent on long distance motor cycling, mechanical and electrical tinkering e.t.c.  I did at one time try to combine the two, but carrying a bag of clubs on  motorcycle isn't exactly easy (or advised).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!