IGNORED

I quit golf...now what?

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 2688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Need something to do for a little me time every week. Golf is dead to me. Its been a long time coming but Im done. Its too hard, too costly, and it takes waaaaaaay to long. Golf isnt going to fix slow play and golf isnt going to get easier so Im out. But what the heck do I do now?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Winners never quit and quitters never win...

Shuffle board league should be about your speed. No lines there...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I think golf is working on slow play/time issues as discussed in other threads with poss 6 and 12 hole designs. But yeah, if you need a break, take it. You'll be back :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

26 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

Need something to do for a little me time every week. Golf is dead to me. Its been a long time coming but Im done. Its too hard, too costly, and it takes waaaaaaay to long. Golf isnt going to fix slow play and golf isnt going to get easier so Im out. But what the heck do I do now?

Stop posting on a golf internet forum.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

Its too hard

Get better at it.

33 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

too costly

Play a bit less; only as much as you can afford.

33 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

it takes waaaaaaay to long.

Play 9 holes.

• Upvote 1

- John

Golf is hard, but I disagree on the time and cost being a real issue.  Sounds a little like the Fox and The Grapes.  Nothing worth while comes easy.  

If you're a 19 index you've gotten past the hardest part, you can go to any club and play a decent round.  Off the top of my head I can't think of many activities that are fun, take little time to participate and are cheap.  I guess you could start a vegetable garden or ask your wife i'm sure she'll find some "fun" things for you to do.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Book a tee time for next week.

• Upvote 4

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Instruct?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

22 minutes ago, billchao said:

Book a tee time for next week.

Yep, Book a tee time pronto. Its the best medicine

Golf is hard. Thats what makes it so dang rewarding. There is nothing like hitting a 5-iron pure. Thats what keeps you coming back. Those few great shots a round make you want to do it again and again. Its all about the chase , chasing that perfect approach for a tap in birdie. Go hit a 7-iron and tell me that isnt awsome, geeze.

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Take a break and start again.  Golf is not too hard.  It is recreation.  So, if you are making it "work" it will be work.  Instead, learn to laugh at yourself.  You'll find that it will become fun again.  I was really working on getting my scores down.  I turned into someone who could not let a bad shot go.  I must have been miserable to golf with.  I was golfing with a buddy and I made a terrible shot.  I had 140 in over water and I took out my 8 iron and didn't catch it the way I though I should have.  (I should have hit an easy 7 with the water protecting the front of the green.)  I started punching my golf bag.  I looked like an idiot.  My buddy pointed it out to me.  When I let that idea go and started enjoying my rounds again, I got better. 

• Upvote 1

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

9 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I actually came to TST from a knitting forum (www.pickingknits.com).  I started a thread called "I quit knitting...now what?".  They told me to start playing golf.

Hahahahahahaha

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

I shoot a bow or a gun on some days, and shotgun on others. It all depends upon my mood. Golf is still fun, I just "work around" the slow players when it gets really slow.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Sorry to hear that @stealthhwk. Can't say I haven't considered it. More than likely, I'll just quit trying so hard to improve before giving up the game altogether.

Regarding the time and cost, I'm fortunate in that the goat track of a course I belong to is dirt cheap and not very crowded at the times I play.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you well.

Jon

You could take up sailing or hiking, but eventually the odds are you'll hear the call once more.

Aloha,

iSank

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 2688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!