IGNORED

How Screwed Am I?

Note: This thread is 2697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, 

I need your opinion on something. A local golf stre to me is going out of business and they had a great deal on a Used Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815. The catch being that all sales were in fact final. After spending 95 bucks on the driver and gettinng home and it was then i noticed that the head had a sizable dent on the bottom near the heel weight. After looking at it closer I found that it was in fact a puncture. The hole itself is really small, that i cant even get a pin through it but still the hole exist. My question is how royally screwed out of my money am I? Any info is greatly appreciated.

1127162218.jpg

8 hours ago, Macalroy38 said:

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Maybe not totally. Even though the sale was "final" per say, the store should have never sold the driver without indicating the product was damaged. Had it been disclosed and sold as is (parts only) then you would have no recourse.

Take the driver back to the store and show them the damage. If they don't refund your purchase, maybe they would consider an exchange for equal value on purchasing other merchandise.

It's hard to realistically think the store had known the driver was damaged and did not disclose it. With the store going out of business, they probably simply place all merchandise out and overlooked the damage.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Maybe not totally. Even though the sale was "final" per say, the store should have never sold the driver without indicating the product was damaged. Had it been disclosed and sold as is (parts only) then you would have no recourse.

Take the driver back to the store and show them the damage. If they don't refund your purchase, maybe they would consider an exchange for equal value on purchasing other merchandise.

It's hard to realistically think the store had known the driver was damaged and did not disclose it. With the store going out of business, they probably simply place all merchandise out and overlooked the damage.

Agreed. You might be at their mercy. Best bet is go in there almost apologetically and ask if you can make an exchange....

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator

I imagine that you're probably screwed, yeah, but it may be worth a shot. They're going out of business, so it's not like they need to care much about customer loyalty, etc.

Next time inspect "final sales" more carefully?

I know that's not what you want to hear, and I agree there's a chance you'll be okay. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you do not get any satisfaction from the vendor who sold you the club, perhaps contacting Callaway Golf themselves might be worth a try. 

Sometimes a big name company will take care of some other company's issue in hopes of a future sale from the customer who has the problem merchandise. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

You are screwed. Unless they admit it was damaged and sold accidentally. Seriously, how do you miss that? Not taking the cover off before you bought it?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Chances are you're screwed, final sales in liquidation stores are usually non-negotiable.  With any luck you get a compassionate employee who is willing to help you out and let you pick something else out of equal value, there's very little chance you'll get any cash back.  

If the store refuses to do anything I'd reach out to Callaway, explain what happened and see if they would be willing to help you out.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

I think you should contact Callaway golf customer service and explain what happened. I would be shocked if they didn't replace it or offer you a good discount on another club. Callaway customer service number is 1-800-588-9836.  

The worst they can say is no (or words to that effect) so always worth asking the question. If they dont give you the answer you want then then it'll just be experience gained the hard way. Let us know what happens

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I'd be curious what impact a hole in the driver would have.  I played with a dented Nike Sasquatch for 6 years and pounded it.  Would a hole near the heel, smaller than a needle, affect performance dramatically?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I played with a guy last year that had a similar hole in a hybrid. Said he caught a rock in the fairway. He was proud of it and the club seemed ok. Only thing was it whistled when he swung and the guy said that was why he  still used it. 

Like a well installed lightbulb. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

4 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Like a well installed lightbulb. 

Did you come up with that on the spot or you hear it somewhere because that shit is funny... needed that. Thanks

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

1 hour ago, Abu3baid said:

Did you come up with that on the spot or you hear it somewhere because that shit is funny... needed that. Thanks

On the spot. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Well… @Macalroy38?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!