IGNORED

Phone calls on airplanes?

krupa
Note: This thread is 2705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Personal Calls on Airlines?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take flight that allowed personal calls?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only when I really have to (e.g., business trip)

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/govt-proposes-letting-airline-passengers-make-phone-calls-44073910

Once again the government is taking up the question of allowing phone calls on airplanes.  If this goes through, I will never buy a ticket on a flight that allowed personal calls.  Perhaps this will kickstart a renaissance in rail travel:  Why cram yourself into an airline seat to be forced to listen to your neighbor's 5 hour phone call?  Take Amtrak and travel in comfort and peace!  Don't like your neighbor? Get up and move whenever you want!

So, would you fly if they allowed phone calls on your flight?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably, but I wouldn't be happy about it...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Your neighbor could be talking to the person next to them as well.  I don't see much difference there either.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Just now, Papa Steve 55 said:

They have allowed phone calls on busses since cell phones were invented. What's the difference?

To me, the difference is that I don't take 5 hour bus rides. 

Just now, 14ledo81 said:

Your neighbor could be talking to the person next to them as well.  I don't see much difference there either.

In my experience, flights are surprisingly quiet in that regard.  People fall asleep or talk to each other by leaning closer so they're not quite as intrusive.  People on cell phones automatically talk louder for some reason (not all, but a lot) and if you have access to not just the person next to you but anyone you want to talk to... well, that's a different story.  

I would and from the sounds of it people wouldn't really have a choice to take "non call flights" as all calls will be made through WiFi and pretty much all planes have it now. I don't think it would impact me a whole lot given I listen to music most flights plus I have a feeling a lot of people would prefer to text instead of talk on the phone especially in that kind of public space.

Edited by JxQx

It's hard to take a train to Singapore from Boston. And what, no one would use their phone on a train or bus?

I have no problem with it. People talk all the time on planes. What difference does it make whether they are talking to a person near them or on a phone?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

As others have said, it's a complete non issue.  If you want it quiet, get some noise canceling headphones.  (Non) Problem solved.

I should add that when I fly it's usually alongside 3 kids, currently 7, 5, and 2 ... our neighbors would probably welcome adults on phones in those seats if given the option.

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

What difference does it make whether they are talking to a person near them or on a phone?

The person next to you is one person.  When they fall asleep, your conversation is over.  If you can call people... well, you can call people.  

27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

What difference does it make whether they are talking to a person near them or on a phone?

From what I can find, it appears to be a combination of 1) it's more distracting to hear only half of a conversation, even if we're not trying to listen to the conversation and 2) people speak more loudly using cell phones.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-talk-so-loudly-on-mobile-phones

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160303-the-reason-people-shout-into-their-mobile-phones

http://lifehacker.com/5991664/why-its-so-annoying-to-overhear-someones-cellphone-conversation

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

17 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

As others have said, it's a complete non issue.  If you want it quiet, get some noise canceling headphones.  (Non) Problem solved.

I should add that when I fly it's usually alongside 3 kids, currently 7, 5, and 2 ... our neighbors would probably welcome adults on phones in those seats if given the option.

Funny thing is, I can tolerate kids.  The last flight I took (from San Antonio to Syracuse) had a screaming baby directly behind me on one leg and, I shit you not, the same baby directly in front of me on my connection.   I'm all right with that.  I'm all right with older, but still small, kids and their behavior.  If they kick my seat, I politely ask them to stop.  The parents usually appreciate it and watch their kids more closely after that.

I realize kids are still learning how to act in public and around strangers.  I also understand how kids can have trouble sitting still for long periods of time.  But adults who talk loudly into cellphones when you're boarding and taxiing (yeah, a lot of people don't get off their phone when they're supposed to) just drive me crazy.    And don't get me started on people who try to recline.  "Luckily" for me, my knees naturally jam up against their seat preventing it from happening.

So basically, I'm turning this thread into a rant against air travel.  If I was President I'd create jobs by devoting all available resources to high-speed railroads from NY to CA and all points in between.  :)

It wouldn't bother me, I wear noise cancelling headphones whenever I have to fly.  

I started wearing headphones 5 - 6 years ago when I was forced to listen to a baby behind me cry the entire 5 hour flight.  

I understand the pressure on airlines to allow cell phone use, some business people spend a lot of their time on flights where they are unable to communicate so it makes sense.  

Joe Paradiso

I think it stinks.  BUT

1 - I can bring earplugs

2 - I'd rather they talk and text while passengers vs talking and texting as drivers - this is really getting out of control.

Bill - 

Just one of those things we gotta deal with on an airplane. My folks fondly remember when people would dress up to travel by airplane. Decorum has taken a back seat to individual liberty. So whereas my personal life is better, the community is degraded.

Hey it can't be any worse than guys yakking on their phones at the range.. Go to the parking lot, please. 

I take an average of 40-50 flights a year. I would hate it if they allowed phone calls. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Non issue for me.  When I'm traveling for business it would be great to be connected instead of losing those couple hours, and when it's personal I'm usually with 3 kids.  By all means talk away, it'll keep you busy from paying attention yo how loud and annoying my kids can be!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I fly 12-15 times/year so not a major issue, so ok, but I will buy:

1. Noise cancelling head phones. I prefer not to put anything on my head but I will do so.

2. Stock in noise cancelling head phone cos.

Vishal S.

The genie is not going back in the bottle. Until social more's catch up with the tech your just going to have to learn to deal with it. I had friends who used to swear they would not attend an event where the invite was via email. I'm sure they used to say they would not attend an event where the invite was via phone call and before that would not attend an event where it was via mail vs a face to face invite.

Times change, quicker now than they used to. If you don't like cell phones in a public place, stay home.

Note: This thread is 2705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!