IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Played another rusty 18 holes yesterday, but made some good shots along the way. 

The best one was on a 370 yard par 4, where I missed the fairway left and dumped the approach in a pond short left of the green. Took a drop and had 85 yards into the wind left to the pin over the same pond, landed it directly in the cup and broke both the cup and the Covid-filler put into it. The hole spat it back out to a 5 inch tap-in bogey, but it was still pretty amazing shot. Wonder if it would've stayed in without the covid-filler in the hole.  

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Very windy day. I hit a pretty solid drive on the 14th hole, but the wind knocked it down and left me with 175 yards to a tucked back left pin. The wind was quartering at me from the left so the shot required about 185-190 yards and a draw, which ain't in my bag. My go to shot is always a fade. So I hit my 190 club (5-wood) and aimed a little left left of the green with the idea to let the wind move it toward the middle of the green, along with my fade. My intent was nothing more than the middle of the green. I hit it solid and there was no fade so I was worried I would miss left, but the wind did it's magic and ball landed 15 feet short of the pin, almost went in the hole, and stopped 3 feet past. Awesome birdie. 

That was my best shot this year, let alone this week. 

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I duffed my tee shot into a steep bank on the other side of a pond, wedged it into the fairway from so deep, gnarly rough, and hit a six iron up to about twenty five yards short and right of the green, so as Winnie the Pooh would say, I'm in a spot of bother.

I pull my 58° wedge - which had not been treating me well - and line up my shot.  I open the face and my stance, take a big swing, and watch the ball rocket up into the air.  It landed about five feet short of the pin and rolled to inside a foot. 

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Short par-4 #6 hole. Depending on where the tee box is, it plays between 265-295 yards, and maybe plays 10 yards downhill. It's a driveable green, but a creek running down the right side pinches in and makes the tee shot riskier the closer to the hole you get, so there is a lot of LSW black that starts to come into play for 200+ yard tee shots. The smart play is a mid iron down the left side, taking the creek mostly out play. But since I didn't have a great start to the round so I decided to go for the green with 3W.

Sunday it was 275 to center of the green. Hit 3W about as good as can hit it, dead straight toward the middle of the green. The ball landed just short of the green and pitched right due to fairway undulation for drainage. A little bit unlucky, because if it had landed a few yards short or long of the undulation, it probably would bounce straight and would have left about a 30-ft eagle putt, but instead the ball ended up almost pin high, 13 yards from the hole.

1396031648_Screenshot2021-04-20092953.png.4cb243826998d2f5e2a710ab85424827.png

My pitch from the greenside rough lipped out, and I tapped in for birdie.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Forgot this, it was last week!

Eighth hole at El Rio, good drive in the middle of the fairway, about 125 out.  Nine iron, right at it, bounced a couple times, and thought I heard a clank.  As I got closer, I could see the ball, it stopped about three inches from the hole.  Would have been a nice eagle!

I had two exceptional shots this week.
The first occurred with a wedge approach.
The ball landed just to the right of the pin and spun left resting a few inches from the hole.

The second shot was from a fairway bunker.
There was a small tree inline to the hole and I was trying to draw the shot around it.
I managed to draw the shot, but not completely around the tree.
The ball went through clean and landed dead on the target.
Once on the green, it rolled out coming to rest just a foot behind the hole.

Both shots had good potential to drop for eagles but were just easy tap in birds.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

My shot of the week was a 3/4 punch hybrid into a 15 to 20 mph wind that faded slightly to the left edge of the green. I wanted to avoid the bunker due to the water on the other side. The greens here are firm and landing on the green from that far out will go over and roll down into the pond as my playing partner found out.
208FBA99-DD2A-4B66-B23A-19BAABDEF6EC.png

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I played 9 holes poorly last week. The only good shot was a stinger driver I hit on a tight par 5. It was the only fairway I hit all day.

I do love it when I execute a shot exactly as I envision it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Best shot this week was a punch 4-iron recovery shot that almost ended up as a GIR.

Hole #14, short par-4 that is all about position off the tee. I pulled my 7-iron onto the adjacent fairway, and had a small gap between the trees separating the fairways to hit a low punch toward the green. My goal was just to get back onto the correct fairway, and advance the ball to within 50 yards of the green. I hit a crisp, partial 4-iron under the trunks but below the boughs of two big redwood trees. The ball took one skip on the fairway, missed a greenside bunker, and settled in the rough around pin high to the right of the green.

Pitched on and lipped out a 5-foot par putt.

image.png.9f6dd3910f804fc79d6cd0187a988f19.png

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Skins game yesterday. Hit every range shot well, encouraging! Then proceeded to play a below average, bordering on poor round. Hole 13, par 5 - drive pulled short and left. Finally hit a good fairway wood (no usual draw) thru elevated fairway and over hill, leaving a blind approach from 152yds. Playing partners lined me up and I flushed a 7, just happy I finally hit a solid shot. Back up to fairway and see it ended up 3 ft. from pin. Rolled in putt for birdie. The best part...the birdie held up...for 11 Skin$500+!  Whoo-Hoo! And yes, I ran a beer tab.

Yesterday, 545 yd par 5 dead into an 15mph gusting to mid 20's wind. A whole 46 degrees out. I took out the driver and hit a low draw that just never came out the air, just kept boring into it for what seemed to be quite some time and finally settled into the center of the fairway.. It measured 276 yards on Google earth. I know you young bucks are scoffing at that, but I'm 61.........my felow golfers were impressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Played 9 at The Links at Brigantine Beach near Atlantic City. Was there for my bro’s bachelor party. Was way more inebriated than usual but still managed a 47 for 9 after an 8 on the first hole. 18 capper here to that’s pretty solid.

Best shot was the second to last. Approach landed in a bunker and had a short sided downhiller. Hit my 60 degree K grind and ball bounced once in the rough, once off the fringe then gently trickled down, narrowly missing the hole and stopping a foot away. Made the par putt then kept the party goin!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Best shot of the week for my was my dad finally getting his second Pfizer vaccination.😉

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

400 yard uphill par 4, a very difficult hole for me because there is a fairway bunker right in my sweet landing zone. Hence, the fairway shrinks significantly for me. I hit a solid drive down the middle and, with the firm conditions, I got some bounce and had 172 yards to the pin. This is where the firm conditions betray me. If I hit the club I need to get to the middle of the green (21 degree hybrid), it will invariably bounce over the green and that is not where you want to be on this hole. So what I try to do when I have this opportunity is to hit my 25 degree hybrid just short and bounce it onto the green. There are bunkers on both sides that leave a very narrow opening so it is a risky shot, but I would rather be in one of those bunkers than off the back of this green. It is rare that I pull it off but yesterday I did and left myself 12 feet for birdie. Didn't make it but it was a solid par. 

Bill M

As much as my short game has betrayed me as of late, I have to give it credit for this week's best shot.  I had bladed a wedge over the green and my ball had nestled into the rough at the back of the green.  The green slopes severely downhill toward the front and the pin was in the center of the green.  I pulled my 54° wedge and played the most delicate of chips into the fringe.  The ball trickled onto the green and started curving toward the pin.  It slid about four feet past the hole, and I made the putt for a bogey, because I had chunked a six-iron from the middle of the fairway.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Made a double breaking putt from 70+ feet along with several other putts just inside 10 ft. on Saturday
Happy Day putting ...  :whistle:

• Like 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Nearly drove the green on a 370 yard par 4, ended up in the left green side bunker. Downhill and cutting the dogleg both contributed, but it was still 330+.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Played three rounds of golf this weekend on a short (5600 yards), very tight and difficult course where a missed fairway is either a lost ball or a short pitch back into fairway. My long game was completely lost with shanks, misshits and uncontrolled slices all weekend so I played my worst golf in 15 years (100+ on 2 of the rounds). My short game and wedgegame was still ok though, and I scored good on the short par 3s. My best shot of the week came on one of those: A short par 3 (113 yards) into a light breeze and I hit a smooth AW (48°) to a foot for an easy birdie. 

Attended a golfschool this weekend so hopefully my longgame suffered from 1000+ shots (spread out between 3 days) from matts on the range before the rounds. I can feel this weekend in my lower back, arms and hands to say the least. I guess we'll see later this week if the long game is really damaged or not.... 😨 

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping.