IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

• Administrator

Love it! And hate it at the same time, you jerk! 😉

Took me a second to figure out your scoring system, but I've got it now… 😉

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 months later...

My first round in 4 months so I was excited to get out. Playing TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course. I was playing less than stellar through the first 5 holes (Par, Double Bogey, Par, Par, bogey). Hadn’t been great off the tee. 
Came to the 6th hole and finally hit a FW. I was lying 190yds to hole and pulled my 25* hybrid and hit the best shot of the day. It landed about 5yds short of green and bounced up, rolling to about 10” from the hole. It was a great pick-me-up to get a birdie. I still didn’t play great the rest of the day, but it definitely was a memorable shot for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Yesterday, on my sim league.  Back finally loosened up and my 63 yr old self unleashed a 272 yard drive followed by a 277 yard drive, of course it took till I got to 17 & 18 for the back to let me go after it a bit........ I had been driving in the 220's the first 3 holes, then the 230's and 240s  prior to the last two holes. LOL

Pretty soon it will warm up and the back might cooperate quicker outdoors.

Edited by Esox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Played out in Vegas for a few days. This was my best shot while I was out there. We were playing at Paiute Golf Club on the Wolf Course. BTW - It's beautiful. I highly recommend giving it a go.

Anyhow, hole 15 is an island green. All day I'd been trying to knock the ball onto the middle of the green. I tried to ignore the flag, go for the middle of the green.

From the tee-boxes we were playing this is a 140 yard shot to the middle of the green and about 135 to the flag. Initially I took 9 iron and planned on going for the middle of the green. But changed my mind at the last moment and took P-wedge and dead aim at the flag. My P wedge tends to draw a lot, so I figured it was a good choice against a left to right wind. 

I hit a high towering shot that held it's line against a left to right wind and just caught the edge of the green, coming to rest on the fringe. 

One six foot putt from the collar and a tap in later, I had a par. 

2023-03-16.thumb.png.0e2aa4a6c5caa1accde2ae44b46b2e38.png

In case you are curious. One of the other guys in my foursome hit a safe shot to the center of the green. He also made par. 

The other two guys both hit the water. One guy is lefty and hit a high fade that fought the wind and drifted all the way left of the green. He went to the drop area, popped it on and made 5. The other guy (a righty) put two in the water, both short. Then he went to the drop area and added another to the water. Finally making a 9. The funny thing is that other than his 9 on this hole, he had the best round of all of us. He played really well, other than on this hole. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Playing a 235 yard par three, a little downwind and pretty firm conditions. 

It is hit solid with a slight fade, going right on line with the pin. One of those shots when everyone goes “ooh” after it is in the air. A few bounces short of the green and it is still on line, finally rolling toward the hole. It slows down, breaks a little right and stops three feet short. If it had the right speed it would have been in the hole. It would have been historic, as there have only been 7 holes-in-one on that hole in 115 years, and that's with a PGA event there for 18 years. 

Edited by phan52
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bill M

Hit a really satisfying shot into the par-3 7th this morning. Only played a partial bag and didn’t have my preferred 5-iron for this shot, but it was windy and rainy so just went with a full 4-iron. Landed soft on the back fringe and left around 20ft downhill downhill out which dropped for a birdie.

image.thumb.png.071dcac9c4318b6b96ab839928e0c19c.png

Edited by Darkfrog
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Had back issues early in the week. Got over it Thursday. Happened to have fair enough weather to play Friday after work... WHOOOPS!!!

I forgot to put ANY clubs in the car that morning and didn't have my usual three-sets to choose from (just in the car).  I knew I had some balls, but wasn't about to drive home and back for clubs (an hour round-trip).

It's just a par-3, six-hole course, so I only needed one or two clubs and a putter. I called my pal to see if he wanted to play (and we could share), nope he was busy. I went by a second-hand sporting good store to see if they had a cheap single club I liked (trying not to buy the Hogan Cameos they've yet got in there-at this time). No dice there. 

So I dug around in my car and did find ONE old ratty 5i from about 1968. I don't even know where I came up with it, but it's a lot like the irons I started with as a boy. Still has the original leather grip with a reminder ridge (hate those).  Anyway.  I went to the course, sat out the downpour, and did a one-club challenge with that old blade.

Result: I was on ALL but one of the greens for birdie putts. Three of which were short birdie putts, but hey I was putting with a 5-iron. I did two bump and runs and three landed on the wet greens and stopped.

The first hole is about 88 yards down hill and very damp in front of the green, any sort of flier will plug up if it hits short.  I bumped one up there it hit about two thirds of the way to the green and rolled up about 10' right of the hole. Then I hit the second green about about 110 yards and the ball stuck (fresh downpour had the greens a little softer than usual) but had a long putt-toughest green on the course. Then I hit the third, missed the fourth--bumped up and two-putted for bogey. The fifth hole is about 55 yards and has a postage-stamp sized green, and a three-foot tall bump right in front of the green, to prevent rolling one from tee to green over the flat fairway.  I chopped one into that bump and it bounced right up and over--rolling up about 12' from the hole.  Missed it, but would have only been my second birdie ever on that miniature hole. (I nearly holed one there last year). The very longest hole, about 130 yards I pulled the shot left somewhat--but not off the green!

I knew it was time to leave. Going around another time might have been as good, but it could have easily been a lot worse. And the sun had popped out making the humidity rather thick, plus I had other stuff to do and a social. 

Now I'm going to polish up that club and hang it on the wall. And I'll keep a set in the car at all times now--never know when the opportunity can strike and my opportunities are limited.  As I had long suspected--it ain't the equipment that makes the game. I had a great day with about the last club I would have ever selected for a one-club challenge-just because circumstances and some well-practiced rhythmo!

Edited by Wade Patton
editing

This ain't no Party, this ain't no Disco...

• 2 weeks later...

Best shot of the week was my tee shot at Pasatiempo’s 3rd hole. Beautiful clear, sunny day, but it was 39 degrees out at 8am when we got to this hole.

602D5E46-FC86-4AAC-89C7-1F4FDDFFFF2F.thumb.jpeg.4710f8c455ee6c4778164ccbcbe37af8.jpeg

Distance from middle tees was about 187, but it’s uphill so clubbed up to 4-iron. It’s a tough hole with not a lot of fun places to miss left or right, but short is okay. Both guys I played with took a club short to avoid the greenside bunkering. I hit just about a perfect shot, ball mark was about a yard short of the pin, and rolled around 10 feet past. Lipped out the birdie putt.

7328C95A-AF51-427F-B443-CE6BE242F692.thumb.png.5713616c3bafd802982e26a08f9ee900.png

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On Fri, I was playing in a Skins game.  Approach shot landed in front right, greenside bunker.  I hit the ball from the sand to 2 ft from the cup and saved par.

Luis

On 4/8/2023 at 7:47 PM, klineka said:

Finally managed to join the elusive Hole In One club today!

Well done and welcome to the club. I am sure you have actually hit better shots but just never had the combination of great shot AND a bit of luck. Hope you have many more in a long golf career.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

• 3 weeks later...

My first "Home" round of 2023 found me floundering a bit. I was 11 over after ten holes. A decent but slightly pulled drive on the par-5 11th left me with a lengthy layup shot that required a bit of a draw to assure a good position for my 3rd. I hit the perfect 3-wood to about 85 yards out in the fairway. From there everything went as planned for a birdie 4. Shot a 2-over 38 on the back nine. It all started with that 3-wood.

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Got my second round of the year in, I'm hoping to get out again this week but a) who knows and b) this was a heck of a shot for me.

First hole I hook a drive left, I have an opening between some trees but I still need to put a fade on it to hit the green. I weaken my grip slightly, slightly open my stance, and swing. I actually caught it a little thin, but the ball starts on my intended line, and starts to fade. I was hoping for more center of the green but it turns into a hole hunter and I'm left with a very makeable birdie putt of probably less than 10 feet. I miss the putt, but tap in for par. 

Considering my skill level and that I generally don't try to shape shots, I was very happy with what I pulled off.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

After an Ok drive, I cold shanked a 6 iron, but then hit a great pitch from 50 yards that bounced once and rolled into the hole, for an "easy" birdie. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• 2 weeks later...

15th hole. 185 yds out approach. Incline (plays as 205). 7W to pin high 8' from the hole. 

Edited by DrvFrShow
  • Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart