IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

• Administrator

Hit driver up the right side of a par five (because if you hit it in the fairway or left, a tree at the corner totally blocks you out, and it's TALL, too).

image.jpeg

Had 244 to the flag that was middle-left. Had to go under a tree that scrapes the top of the cart very lightly with the lower limbs. Had a bunker in the way, and a pond left.

Hit a punched, pure 3W that rolled just a foot or two off the back right of the green. Ball never got much more than 10-15' in the air, and landed just over the bunker with a slight cut to roll to the back corner.

Was very solid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMG_3869.jpeg

I hit a drive that cut the dogleg out of a par 5 and let me inside of 100 yards for my second shot.

And the weather was great, @bkuehn1952 😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hit my best drive of the day on 17. Left me with a simple partial lob wedge to a back pin. Should have been a good birdie chance, or at worst an easy par, but I chunked the partial wedge. Made it to the green but came up well short and then 3 putted for bogey. 

IMG_3059.thumb.png.9c142f345ff848d363ea039838933c68.png

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

This was not my best shot of the week*, but it was my favorite. I had about 100 yards to a back pin, with 105 to the back edge of the green. The pin was on a bit of a plateau back there, and with how wet it was, I was worried about a full wedge spinning back too far. I hit a knockdown gap wedge that hit just short of pin high, took one hop, and stopped just beyond pin high. I had about 15 feet left for birdie. The +3 I was playing with was really impressed that I was able to control the spin like that (although I think he thought I was full of shit when I said I was trying to do that). Didn't make the birdie putt, but I thought it was really cool to hit the exact shot I was trying to, with the result exactly as I was envisioning. 

I was chasing birdies to try to make the cut at this qualifier, which is also why I hit that shot. Normally, I would have been fine with a 30 foot, uphill putt that my full sand wedge would have left me.

*Best shot of the week was a 4 iron from 225 yards to 5 feet to set up an eagle.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Actually my best shot of the week was a putt. A putt that I didn't even make. I haven't been playing terribly lately but haven't made any great shots. This hole is one I don't usually play well, I pushed my drive to the right, but less right than usual, and hit a good approach shot and I'm on the green. Problem is the approach was a little longer than I would have liked and I'm just at the top of a hill with the flag on a lower tier.

As I'm approaching the green I'm seeing the hill and planning my putt. It looks like one of those where you take a line that's almost 90° perpendicular to the hole and let the slope take it. I get to the green and it actually looks flatter than it did as I approached it. I think maybe I don't have to take the line I originally planned. I quickly banish that thought, and line up like I planned on the approach. I hit the putt on my intended line and watch the slope take it. The ball travels towards the hole and stops 6 inches from the hole. I sink the par putt. 

Wow, I basically have written a novel about this putt lol. I think it's because it was a very difficult putt, but I had made a plan and stuck to it, and the plan had good results. The fact that I parred a hole I usually struggle on helps too.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

• Administrator

Worked on my swing today in a round with @DrizZzY. Not a particularly hot day (61°), not windy, overcast… fairways aren't particularly firm.

Hit this shot today.

image.jpeg

It was a 3W. I don't often reach the green here, as in sometimes never in a calendar year, and today I reached it 3W, chippy hybrid from 220.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Played poopy today. On the 410 yard closing hole, the helping wind allowed me to reach the green in regulation. I stroked my 30 foot putt and it was tracking to the hole. A leaf landed a foot from the hole. The ball hit it, was deflected a bit, and it was going to miss. Arrrgggghhhh! But it caught the edge of the hole and fell in.

I had been irritated most of the day with my play but sinking that birdie putt was like a little ray of sunshine on a gloomy day.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Had my best chip of the year on SAT medal comp blue tees... PAR4 412yards smashed a baby fade to 290yards elevated location middle fairway 120yards to hole ...used my 50deg wedge hit it pure high ..was perfect straight at the hole (seemed to hang for a few seconds longer than expected) dropped 1ft front of hole and disappeared ???? thought it might have went right behind flag but no one hit and straight into hole on its second bounce .... 

my third only chip in from 100yds+,.....

Go Foxy Go

Hit the best shot of the year today. Par 5 15th into a gentle breeze. There is a ditch running across the fairway at an angle so hit 3 Wood out to the right. I was left with 245 to the pin and hit another 3 wood which did not leave the pin the whole way, landing on the green and rolled up to 6ft. Holed the eagle putt as well, which was nice.

IMG_4520.thumb.jpeg.a251173efd8b4024c7fd0ccecf358265.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Stevie T

5 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

Had my best chip of the year on SAT medal comp blue tees... PAR4 412yards smashed a baby fade to 290yards elevated location middle fairway 120yards to hole ...used my 50deg wedge hit it pure high ..was perfect straight at the hole (seemed to hang for a few seconds longer than expected) dropped 1ft front of hole and disappeared ???? thought it might have went right behind flag but no one hit and straight into hole on its second bounce .... 

my third only chip in from 100yds+,.....

Great shot.

It's interesting to me that you call that a chip. 

Is that a New Zealand thing? I'm pretty sure I'd call that an approach shot. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

8 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Great shot.

It’s New Zealand. They’re upside down from us so everything is opposite. Putt is a drive, chip is an approach shot……

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I forgot to post this one last week. I was having an absolutely terrible round where nothing was going well for me, not even the weather. It rained on and off all day and I was in full rain gear the entire time. I got to 18 thinking I just want the stupid round to be over and hit a worm burner off the tee into the left rough. I had 240 left to the middle of the green and of course I striped the 3w and put it on. Two-putt for par. Stupid game.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

#4 par 5 I had hit my second shot to the bunker. Hit a beautiful 56* 72yds to 4’ and made the birdie putt.🙂IMG_4435.thumb.jpeg.5ca83e1892529e9d28800db6bcba2fbe.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Played 18 holes at Bent Tree Golf Course in Sunbury, OH yesterday.

Hole number 2 is a par-3 that can range from about 145 to 190 yards from the tees I play. I'm playing alone and get to the teebox. I see there are two of the grounds crew working on the left side bunker. They wave to me to let me know its safe to hit. Shot scope says it's like 152 to the center and 163 to the back edge. Its a back pin so I'm guestimating about 159-160 yards. It's into a slight breeze so, 7-iron. 

Take my swing and have that "Wow, that felt good." feeling. 

I look up and the ball is tracking right at it. Right at the center of the green, right at the flag, It lands within a foot of the flag stick takes a small hop and sits there. I hit it to inside a foot. Not even I could miss the tap-in birdie. 👍😁👍

Nearly.thumb.jpg.6af02594c6696c8e22378ca56073a090.jpgNearly2.thumb.jpg.6955d215464e23aee7fd9eb043cc26fb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Playing a difficult (for me) 432 yard, dogleg right par four. I hit a serviceable drive down the left side that gave me a rare look at the green. The green is smallish and narrow, with some tightly mown swales around it, and my second shot ended up in one of the swales, leaving me with not a lot of green to work with. To compound the problem, I couldn't putt it because of two sprinkler heads directly in my line (I wasn't close enough to them to be able to get relief). My only choice was a lofted club off of a very tight lie. I pulled it off, getting enough spin when it landed on the very firm green that it only went about five feet past, and I made it for a satisfying par. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M

• 3 weeks later...

5th hole yesterday, 15mph downwind, hit one of the furthest drives of my life, 350yds to about 10yds short of front edge on a ~380yd par 4. 

Flag was middle-back, told my playing partner I was going to hit a low driving pitch that was going to fly about halfway to the hole, check, and release the rest of the way. Executed it perfectly and thought I holed it but ended up 1 foot away for a tap in birdie.

Golf's easy when the tee shots go 350 🤣

Hole 5.png

Runner up shot from yesterday was my tee shot on hole 2, also downwind and the furthest I've ever hit on this hole, it went 325yds. I usually aim just right of the fairway bunker, this shot started right where I wanted and it started fading a bit. Wasn't quite sure if it faded too much or not but it ended up just fine. This green is very tough and I had to hit a flop shot to clear a big knob right where I normally would land a pitch, hit a decent flop shot to about 10 feet and lipped out the birdie putt.

Hole 2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 3:17 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Great shot.

LOL, that's just me ... when I use my PITCHING Wedge to 50deg. I keep thinking that's a Pitch shot and when I use my 54-58 deg wedges I think of a chip closer (sometimes on the fringe... approach shot when I use any other club to the green. I know it's wrong just what has stuck in my self-taught golf mind ..

. I never got GOLF coaching, school golf etc ..just a golf hack that took up the game socially in my mid 20's(not playing in comps till my 40's) ...

still, I was 2 under after 15 holes on Wednesday .. wish I hadn't tried to play conservatively thinking PARs to finish would be insane to get a 70 score over a pretty hard course with some tough pin positions 

... ended up with a 73 +1 ...

pretty confident I'll be able to get to 5-6 HC this summer if I can tidy up my putting ... at 7.1 at present..

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

• 1 month later...

It was 23°F on the first tee yesterday… so needless to say the game was kind of silly. I almost drove the green on a 340 yard par 4.

Best shot by far though was my second on the par 3 16th. Hit the green off the tee and watched the ball bounce hard through it and almost over the boundary fence. It ended up sitting a foot and a half away from the fence and about 80’ from the hole. I gripped down on my GW well into the shaft and just brought the clubhead straight up and chopped down on the ball. It rolled out to about 4’ from the hole and I saved par.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Bill

My Swing Thread