IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Friday Hole 9 - Par 5 2nd shot, about 260, uphill to a tight area, have to fade it, wind hurting slightly.

3w, clean strike, a little fade, starting at the left edge of green.  Just short of the green, centered.  Leaving a little up and down for birdie.

My 3w is either my favorite club that day or the most hated.  Friday it was favored.  Saturday???? not so much.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On the 10th hole this morning, I hit a really poor tee shot with a 4 iron.  I pulled it and it had a little draw on it, so it hit the trees bordering the 10th and 18th holes.  It kicked to the right and into the 10th fairway but left me about 220 to the pin, over a creek that runs short of the green.

I decided to lay up with a 6 iron and hit the ball into a good position on the left side of the fairway.  From there, I was left with 77 yards to the hole.  I hit a perfect lob wedge which hit the green just beyond the pin and it spun back to within 3 feet of the hole.  I made the slippery downhill putt for an unlikely par.  

I had another good one on the 4th hole.  After blasting a drive over all the trouble on the hole, I was left with 43 yards to the hole.  I hit a low, checking pitch that hit the front of the green and lipped out.  That left me a 4 foot putt for birdie which I converted.  

Over my last 2 rounds, I've hit the cup or pin on 6 different holes.  Only 1 has gone in, but... it's been a nice little run!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Close...no cigar. ;-)

This was last evening - my approach to our short, par-4 6th.  52° GW from 104yds.  I usually struggle with this approach a little, as the slope throughout this hole puts the ball below your feet; I have trouble with jumping over the top a little with my wedges in that scenario.  But this was the best swing and strike I can put on a golf ball - quiet hand action with the core doing the work, nice and smooth.  If I could only do that more often....

The green slopes a bit (to the left in the image), so I thought this would roll in - you can see the pitch mark a few feet right and above ball.  But it trickled down and stopped.  Would've been my first eagle on this course since joining in June, and my longest hole-out that I can recall.  Oh well, there would've been no witnesses, anyway.  Easy birdie, I guess.

BamaWade

Nice_shot_9-20-2016.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Played Treetops in Gaylord, MI yesterday.   OMG.. It's a must play site.    On the par 3 ninth hole I hit my tee shot to within 1 1/2 feet.    Very great facility.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

370 yard par 4. with a water hazard on the right and in front of the green. Aim a little left off the tee, trying to fade it into the fairway, but double cross myself and it stays left, landing in the rough just inside a tree line. Decent lie.The yardage tells me 8 iron to a back pin, but an 8 will get up a little too much into some overhanging branches. I choke down on a 7, play it a little to the back of my stance, and hit a low dart that lands on the front of the green and rolls back to the pin, finishing about five feet to the right. Birdie.

Bill M

I'm going with my 4 iron to 10' on a par 3. Didn't make the putt :( 

• Upvote 1

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Played the front nine at my home course twice yesterday (once in the morning and once in the evening).  

The best shot came from the morning round on the 5th hole.  After I put my tee shot in the fairway, it started to drizzle a little bit.  By the time I walked to my ball... it had become a full-on rain.  

I was sitting at about 170 yards out with a strong wind into me and from the right.  The ball was also slightly above my feet, so I knew it was going to work back to the left with the lie and the wind.  I decided to play the shot like I would play a 180-185 yard shot.  I choked down on a 4 iron a bit and put a really nice swing on the ball.  It started at the bunker to the right of the green and turned beautifully towards the pin.  When the ball hit the green, it ran to pin high and finished about 11 feet to the left of the hole.  

I darted beneath an awning at the restrooms between the 5th green and 6th tee and waited 2 minutes for the rain to pass.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sink the birdie putt, but... seeing the shot come off exactly as I had planned was a great feeling!

CY

Career Bests

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I came close to an Ace as the ball tracked towards the hole, did a little dance with the pin and ended up 18" below the hole.

My Sweetheart also played in the afternoon, as it was the Ladies' Closing Day. She gets home hours later and I ask if she had fun golfing and proceed to tell her about my almost miracle on the fourth hole. She the pulls out her phone and shows me a picture of her standing next to the same hole with the ball only four inches from the hole.

• Upvote 4

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Friday's round two identical approaches on two holes - 478 yard par 5 and a 458 yard par 4.  Both approaches were 215 or so - between my 4h and my 2h.  I hit 2h on both.  Both were into a slight wind - parallel holes on the back....

Each approach was pretty much straight at the pin.  On both holes, I thought I was gonna hole it from the fairway.  Even after, from the fairway both shots looked like 'kick in' putts.  (reality is I went past each by about 10 feet - of course you don't see this until you're let down as you pull up to the green....)  I holed the putt on the par 4, two putted the par 5 - so both were birdies.

the neat thing is both ball marks were within 2 feet of the hole.  so I suspect it was a bit wet and I did play the shot to get it high in the breeze to take off 10-15 yards.

(I really thought I'd eagled the first one - until I looked at the card saw it was a 4....)

A couple great approaches on Sunday - LW from 98 to within a foot and a 9i from 142 on 18 to within 5, but they don't compare

odd weekend - great shots or horrible shots, nothing really in the middle

Bill - 

After pushing a 4 iron off the tee, I was between the 14th and 15th fairways, below some trees and next to a rock.  I failed miserably at punching a 4 iron into the fairway as I let the rock get in my head.  I advanced the ball about 20 yards and was left with 148 yards, slightly uphill with the wind at my back.  The ball was sitting nicely in the rough, so I took an 8 iron and hit a beautifully pure shot that landed on the green and funneled to the right directly at the hole.  

The ball stopped and, from my vantage point, it looked close.  I didn't realize how close until I actually got up to the green.  

20161004_104712.jpg

Not the way I usually draw up a par, but... I'll take it.

CY

Career Bests

3 way tie during my lowest round ever!

1) 264 yard deive down the middle

2) Chip in from ten feet off the green

3) 8 foot downhill putt for par. 

All were awesome and I just cant chose for a change. :banana:

I won one of the long drives of my league's end of year tournament on the last hole yesterday. The distance? 180 yards! :-P It is an uphill par 4 and by the time we got to the last hole, it was windy. I know the distance was correct because my ball was at the 200 yard marker!

I ended up parring the hole with a 3H approach shot to 20 yards short of the green and a nice chip up and 4 foot putt to par.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This isn't my best shot of the week, but it is my best shot of the last month or so. 

Playing with a friend of mine who is better than I am, we were both in a bunker about 30 feet from the pin.  He went first, and he hit a shot that came out with a lot of backspin, landed right next to the hole and stopped.   I asked him how he did that, and he said he hit down hard on the back of the ball.   So I tried the same thing, and it flew right up next to the hole and stopped about 2 feet from the hole.   

I'm not sure I can do that again in a million years.  

• Administrator

Oh, I forgot to post this picture from Forsgate CC (12th hole). 168, 7I. Never left the flagstick. Still looking for my first…

2016-09-23 17.58.04 50%.jpg

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

#18 at Hudson Mills today.  A cart path runs up the right side of this fairly long hole.  I typically try to hit a slight draw up the right side in hopes of hitting the cart path. Today I managed to do it, leaving me a pitching wedge approach, which I left about 12 feet away and canned the putt for birdie.  Without the cart path I typically hit a fairway wood approach.  Last birdie on this hole I had to fight off a dinosaur prior to holing out.

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

I played our weekly dogfight last night.  On the 6th hole, a shortish, downhill par 3 of about 160, I hit a 7 iron that I choked down on just to the right of the pin.  It caught the slope and fed the ball towards the pin on the front-middle portion of the green.  It left me a quick, downhill 10 footer running with the grain that I was unable to make... but it was still a good shot and led to a par.  

On the final hole, I bombed a drive and left myself 103 yards to the flag.  I hit a very poor sand wedge from the fairway that came up well short.  My chip from there was okay but left me a 10 footer.  The slope was going right to left and then it flattened out at the hole.  I knew that the grain was going to grab it there and push it back left to right.  I hit the exact putt I needed and dropped the putt for a par which sealed a win in the dogfight and a $35 profit on the night.

CY

Career Bests

Let me start by saying I'm not a great golfer, but have been working on my swing alot to use the power of the hips more, and playing more of a inside-out swing path vs. a 'straight through' swing path.

As a result,  my distances have been increasing by a least 1/2 - 1 club quite rapidly, but I've been hitting draws more often than my usual 5 yard fade, so my aiming has been off as well, making it frustrating, especially on Par 3s being in greenside bunkers on a great strike.

I went out and shot a 95 two days ago on a Par 71 / Slope 126, and had a few good shots, but one great one stood out for me:

Par 5 [460 yds]  I hit a mediocre tee shot, about 240 yards over the cart path into the right rough on top of a small mound.  It is a narrow fairway, so I pulled my Pitching Wedge, and tried to hit a cut back into the fairway around a tree line to leave around 100 yards in.  I took the swing... and duffed it about 30 feet back over the cart path, but closer to the fairway, and had a semi-clear shot to the green.  I had about 210 yds in, but the pin was in the back, so I took a 6 iron (normally hit 185 yds), and set up to hit a small cut, but lined up so that if I caught it well and hit the draw I've been hitting occasionally with the new swing, I wouldn't put it into the trees out of bounds on the other side of the fairway.  I was planning to lay up just in front of the green, and hope for a chip and a putt to save par.

I hit the shot, and actually hit the small cut I was hoping for, but the ball kept going farther than I expected.  The green is set very slightly downhill from where I was at, with a small mound in front, so I wasn't able to see anything more than the ball bounce once.  I assumed it was about 5-10 yds in front of the green...

When I walked up, I couldn't find the ball anywhere in front of the green.  I looked for about 2 minutes, and didn't see the ball on the green either.  I walked onto the green, and lo and behold, the ball was about 4 feet short of the pin, just on the border of the fringe and the rough.  It traveled about 215 yards in total!!  I missed the birdie put, but made the Par putt!

WITB:
TM R580 9.5* Driver /  Adams Tight Lies 16* FW /  Adams 9031 18* 3H / Adams A7 4H 22* / Adams Super S 5-PW / Adams CB3 GW 49* / Pinemeadow AW 52* / Vokey SW 56* / Ping Pal Putter

This might be the best shot of the month.  On the closing par 4 at University of Michigan Golf Course (formerly #5), I hit my drive well but clipped a few branches that over hang the fairway on the right.  The ball ended up on the left hand side of the fairway, 200+ yards away from a back left pin position protected by a large bunker.  I said to my friends, "I am going to try to hit this as hard and straight as I can and hope I run it up the green."  For once my plans and performance were in sync.  I hit a very solid fairway wood and managed to run the ball up the length of the long steep green, stopping 3 feet from the hole.  Made it for birdie.

Brian Kuehn