IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

He won't play. I'd bet a LOT on that at this point.

I agree. Be shocked if he did. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

He won't play. I'd bet a LOT on that at this point.

20-1 odds and you got a bet.

I think it's more likely than not he doesn't play but with how (relatively) outspoken he and Steinberg have been over the past few days, it wouldn't surprise me if he tees it up. If there were zero (or close to zero chance) in his mind that he would play, they wouldn't have said a thing.

Entertaining interview on GMA. He at least doesn't look like he's in pain just being vertical like he did in the interview before Dubai.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, skydog said:

20-1 odds and you got a bet.

I think it's more likely than not he doesn't play but with how (relatively) outspoken he and Steinberg have been over the past few days, it wouldn't surprise me if he tees it up. If there were zero (or close to zero chance) in his mind that he would play, they wouldn't have said a thing.

Entertaining interview on GMA. He at least doesn't look like he's in pain just being vertical like he did in the interview before Dubai.

Thing is, they haven't really said anything. They've said he's "working hard to get back into it" or something. Not practicing. Not playing. "Working hard."

Walking around the course at Dubai was after he warmed up and swung on the range.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

Thing is, they haven't really said anything. They've said he's "working hard to get back into it" or something. Not practicing. Not playing. "Working hard."

Well, yes and no. Steinberg made a point to adamantly refute the allegations that it's 'highly unlikely' that Tiger plays. I know the guy is a professional smoke blower and all, but IMO for the sake of what credibility he has left, he would have just said nothing if it were looking close to a definite that Tiger was going to sit it out.

I think Tiger is genuine when he says he's going to try to do everything to tee it up in a few weeks....that doesn't mean he should (for his health's sake) or will, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to force it....we've all seen this movie before. Again, I think it's more likely than not that he doesn't play, but I won't be overly surprised either way.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, skydog said:

Well, yes and no. Steinberg made a point to adamantly refute the allegations that it's 'highly unlikely' that Tiger plays.

I think that he refuted that people had talked. Yeah, look:

"I have no idea who Mr. Wacker’s really close sources are. I can tell you this, nobody spoke to him (Wacker); so how he could know something that Tiger and I don’t know is comical," Steinberg said. "I talked to Tiger four hours ago on the phone. We’re not in a situation to even talk about playing in the Masters now. He’s gotten treatments and is progressing and hoping he can do it. There’s not been a decision one way or the other. I couldn’t give you a fair assessment, but to say it’s doubtful is an absolutely inaccurate statement."

"He's gotten treatments" is not "he's practicing hard and hoping to tee it up."

I know the guy is a professional smoke blower and all, but IMO for the sake of what credibility he has left, he would have just said nothing if it were looking close to a definite that Tiger was going to sit it out.

Why? They could always say "it was close, and he tried, but he's just not quite ready to compete."

I think Tiger is genuine when he says he's going to try to do everything to tee it up in a few weeks....that doesn't mean he should (for his health's sake) or will, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to force it....we've all seen this movie before. Again, I think it's more likely than not that he doesn't play, but I won't be overly surprised either way.

I'm still going with "no way."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

First post here in 6 months :) Good to be back.

I do think Tiger desperately wants to play since it's the 20-year anniversary of that first major, but I am highly doubtful he will play. The guy's gotten all the treatments in the world, he's taken all the rest in the world and he's still having problems with his back. That's an indication it's just never going to come together for him. I feel for the guy because he wants so bad to win again and just can't play without pain no matter what he does.

As for the Masters, if Dustin Johnson is on his game that weekend, I'll take $50 to Vegas and won't think twice about putting it on anyone else. He's the best in the world right now, hands down. He has the ability to destroy the par-5s there. It's just a matter of whether he can continue to stay sharp with his short game which has been his downfall at Augusta in the past. I think Rory will contend, but once again, his putter will prevent him from winning a green jacket just like his putter has prevented him from winning a lot more majors than what he has. Oh Rory, if ye could only putt.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I just saw some of Tigs on the GMA recap, Holy smokes he's balder than I thought...

Low T.

:-)

(Or, wait, the opposite… right?)

I heard some outtakes of Tiger's interview on GMA on the radio. To me it sounded a lot like, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!"

And I wouldn't put too much stock in what Steinberg says. Remember he's buttering his own bread when he manages to make Tiger money.

We are two weeks away from Masters week! You shouldn't be "hoping" you can tee it up, you should know by now!

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

I just saw some of Tigs on the GMA recap, Holy smokes he's balder than I thought...

Dude just shave it all off. Go Jordan. Maybe the hair is having an opposite of Samson effect. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

$50 says that he doesn't play in the Masters, but another $25 says he's at least there on the grounds of Augusta National at least once during the event. 

7 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

$50 says that he doesn't play in the Masters, but another $25 says he's at least there on the grounds of Augusta National at least once during the event. 

I don't think you'll get any takers, both safe bets

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

25 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Define the term "during the event".

Thur-Sunday or Monday - Sunday

Players play, tough players win!

31 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Define the term "during the event".

Thur-Sunday or Monday - Sunday

Monday to Sunday. I don't know for certain he'd be there during the tournament since it might just make him really wish he could be playing.

If Augusta allows him, I bet we see him putting on the practice green. I don't know that he'd be allowed though if he doesn't compete.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Monday to Sunday. I don't know for certain he'd be there during the tournament since it might just make him really wish he could be playing.

If Augusta allows him, I bet we see him putting on the practice green. I don't know that he'd be allowed though if he doesn't compete.

Uh, they'll allow him to do pretty much whatever he wants. Remember, any previous winner of OTHER majors has some privileges, let alone Masters winners too. :-)

3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Tiger has already committed to attended the Champions dinner.

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!