IGNORED

Is the 5 wood dead?

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Still bag a 5w. I prefer a 3h off the deck but there are holes on one of the courses i play where a 5w off the tee is just the ticket.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hybrids I hit were mostly old ones.  My fitter told me it's the lie angle being too upright.  Fairway woods just suit me better.

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

Hybrids I hit were mostly old ones.  My fitter told me it's the lie angle being too upright.  Fairway woods just suit me better.

I think the CBX has a little flatter lie. My 20° I think has a 60° lie angle. But fairway woods do have a flatter lie angle than hybrids... That is true.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Rory uses a 5 wood.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 460 (8.5 degrees)
Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 70TX

3 Wood: TaylorMade M3 (15 degrees)
Shaft: Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 80TX

5 Wood: TaylorMade M3 (19 degrees)
Shaft: Fujikura Rombax P95X

Irons: TaylorMade P-750 (4), TaylorMade “Rors Proto” P-730 (5-9)
Shafts: Project X 7.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (48, 52 and 58 degrees), Taylormade Hi-Toe (60 degrees)
Shafts: Project X 6.5

Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Black Copper Soto (with slant neck)

Golf Ball: TaylorMade TP5x

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

Rory uses a 5 wood.

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (48, 52 and 58 degrees), Taylormade Hi-Toe (60 degrees)

That's what he won at Bay Hill with he had been going with the 54° and 60° set up, with a P750 3-iron and a P790 2-iron.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Unreal someone posted this as a discussion as I have been trying to figure out what to do with that part of my bag.  Just got the i200s after getting the Ping G 4H last year, which I hit some great shots with last year.  Hitting at the range, it appears that the 4H and my R9 5w go the same distance, however, I think it is more the range balls / cold weather than actually real world yardage.  

Decided to play a few holes over the weekend, in between snow storms, low 40s, decent wind.  8th hole, wind down and out of the right, par 5, 495 yds.  Hit decent drive 265 ish, leaving 225 ish in.  Being a little wind behind, i choose the 5w, see attached picture.  5w is going no where.  Closest I have ever hit one from outside 200 yards.  Bag is good for now, other than testing some drivers come may / june.

34 minutes ago, Bluefin646 said:

Unreal someone posted this as a discussion as I have been trying to figure out what to do with that part of my bag.  Just got the i200s after getting the Ping G 4H last year, which I hit some great shots with last year.  Hitting at the range, it appears that the 4H and my R9 5w go the same distance, however, I think it is more the range balls / cold weather than actually real world yardage.  

Decided to play a few holes over the weekend, in between snow storms, low 40s, decent wind.  8th hole, wind down and out of the right, par 5, 495 yds.  Hit decent drive 265 ish, leaving 225 ish in.  Being a little wind behind, i choose the 5w, see attached picture.  5w is going no where.  Closest I have ever hit one from outside 200 yards.  Bag is good for now, other than testing some drivers come may / june.

Dude, how cold are we talking? The cold doesn't necessarily effect distance that much, it really depends on how "heavy" the air is? Your 5 wood might be going nowhere because the air is heavy.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

Rory uses a 5 wood.

This he doesn't have the 5-wood.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Dude, how cold are we talking? The cold doesn't necessarily effect distance that much, it really depends on how "heavy" the air is? Your 5 wood might be going nowhere because the air is heavy.

Temperature affects air density. It makes the largest variance probably not including altitude.

Trollin' is the life

cold being high 30s low 40s temperature, with wind chill being another 5-7 degrees cooler, so cold.  Not typical golf weather.

I was concerned that the 4H and 5w were going the same distance, so why have both in the bag.  But from reading different posts, and my own experience, I feel like I am set up really good.  4H gives a ton of versatility and shot options, including out of rough to advance the ball to the right place.  the 5w is great off the tee, short par 4s, and am confident with it off of the fairways as well.  

but yes, temperature plays a factor in ball distance, esp when considering real feel of 32 vs real feel of 74.  The ball is going to fly farther in warmer / dryer air.

On 3/27/2017 at 12:05 AM, onthehunt526 said:

This is my question for the TST Universe, is the old two fairway wood set-up dead?

The set-up: somewhere back in the year 1991 and a half, Some cool dude named Ely Callaway decided to make lofted fairway metals for his "Big Bertha" line. The 7,9, and 11 wood were made for people who couldn't 3, 4 or 5 irons. And Garfield was talking about Leo Fudge having a putt to win $100,000, after already winning the $25,000 "Funniest Pants Award".

Fast forward to 2017 and a quarter, Ely's lofted woods still exist but most people prefer hybrids... To replace longer irons.

rewind to 2007 and three quarters: Most people still carried 3 wood/5 wood... 

So why is it most people carry, D/FW/H as opposed to D/FW/FW/H... Is even the 5 wood dead and the 3 wood on life support?

I carry a 5-wood since I can get the ball up in the air more consistently than with my equivalent hybrid.  I also carry a 22-deg 7-wood to replace my 3-iron.  They are both well worth in the bag.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

I don't think the 5w is dead at all.  For me, I use the Adams Tight lies 3w and 5w (the newer ones not the 90s woods, which were good too).  The 5w goes a similar distance as my 4 hybrid, but much higher peak height so I go with the 5w.  I really like the shallow faced fairway woods, as I feel I can get some forward lean and hit higher on the face for higher launch and spin it a bit less when I need to.

I still carry a TM V-Steel 4-wood.  Modern 3-woods are too hot for me.  I need something that will land softer/go higher.  I have a 18* 2-iron if I want low.  I rarely find myself 3-wood distance from a green, so the swap was easy.  Love this club, but one of these days it's gonna wear out.  I think a modern 5-wood would likely give a similar performance, with the hotter faces etc.  Throw in adj hosel and it's a slam dunk.  But I'll stick with old faithful for now.

I carry a 5 wood and 4 hybrid.  I dropped the 3 wood out of my bag as I seldom hit it during a season.  If I do not want to hit my Driver off the tee the 5 wood gives me the extra control and not a lot of distance loss in comparison to the 3 wood.  Plus it is easier for me to hit a 5 wood off the deck. 

Last year I finally figured out to hit a 4 hybrid and now really enjoy that club a lot.  Using those two clubs fit gapping needs after my 5 iron.  By dropping the 3 wood I am able to carry another wedge in my bag.  Overall a better fit for me.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

It seemed to me that a lot of pros and amateurs alike were swapping 5-wood (as a second fairway) for a hybrid in that spot.

I don't believe that now it is per se dead. But it's definitely on life support.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I love mine.  Play the Ping G10.  Love the "tink" sound it makes.  It is one of my most reliable clubs in the bag.  My question is why do so many people carry fairway metals/hybrids and long irons?  Are you really in need of that variance on 200 yard + shots?

2 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

I love mine.  Play the Ping G10.  Love the "tink" sound it makes.  It is one of my most reliable clubs in the bag.  My question is why do so many people carry fairway metals/hybrids and long irons?  Are you really in need of that variance on 200 yard + shots?

It's a fair question, @Nutsmacker.

Some players are longer than others, but I believe the answer is natural transition. You don't really need a plethora of long clubs. Some only need 2 between 3-wood and 5-iron (or equivalent), some play 3. 

I personally play a 4-wood instead of a 3-wood. I have 3 transition clubs between (most rounds it would be two). 20° hybrid, 3-iron, and 4-iron. For most rounds it will just be the hybrid and 4-iron. For others the 3-iron might come in, while the 60° sand wedge comes out.

It's just a matter of personal preference I suppose.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

On 3/31/2018 at 12:07 PM, Nutsmacker said:

Need a strong 3, regular 3 and a 4 wood to go along with your 5?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!