IGNORED

Dustin Johnson questions

golfer6258
Note: This thread is 2566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are the pros and cons of teeing off and withdrawing the Masters? I do not know the rules on how it effects money earned, ranking, etc if you tee off and withdraw after a handful of holes.

3 hours ago, golfer6258 said:

What are the pros and cons of teeing off and withdrawing the Masters? I do not know the rules on how it effects money earned, ranking, etc if you tee off and withdraw after a handful of holes.

Not sure there is anything to be gained or not. I wouldn't look at it someone trying to gain the system. Not everything is underhanded. He probably gave it a try and figured he would end up shooting such a bad round or further injure himself that it was better to not play at all. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He warmed up, but he probably decided against playing because he had to leave the range in the middle of his warm up to get something tweaked on his back and didn't have time for any short game or putting warm ups. That is to say that his back prevented him from properly preparing and he also didn't feel comfortable with it, since he had to leave the range mid warm-up. 

Lower left back is not a great place to have hurting for a righty. If you look at his swing the bend near impact really stretches out that side of the back, in addition to the stretch on that portion of your back when you coil in the backswing. 

15 hours ago, golfer6258 said:

That's actually an interesting question.   I have no idea.   But I'm interested in an answer, if anyone can come up with one.  

15 hours ago, golfer6258 said:

As far as the Official World Golf Ranking, it is better to withdraw before teeing off. Your total ranking points are divided by your events played to determine your ranking; a withdrawal after 2 holes counts as an "event played" but earns no points (same as a missed cut). 

In other tournaments, it might be considered bad form to start playing and then immediately withdraw, since that would deny an alternate the opportunity to play. But the Masters doesn't have alternates.

In 2016, a missed cut at the Masters still earned $10,000 in prize money. A withdrawal would earn nothing.

• Upvote 2

- John

8 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

As far as the Official World Golf Ranking, it is better to withdraw before teeing off. Your total ranking points are divided by your events played to determine your ranking; a withdrawal after 2 holes counts as an "event played" but earns no points (same as a missed cut). 

In other tournaments, it might be considered bad form to start playing and then immediately withdraw, since that would deny an alternate the opportunity to play. But the Masters doesn't have alternates.

In 2016, a missed cut at the Masters still earned $10,000 in prize money. A withdrawal would earn nothing.

Cripes....that's a good portion of my yearly salary LOL....

Colin P.

4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Cripes....that's a good portion of my yearly salary LOL....

I think DJ could find that just by lifting the couch cushions. :-P

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Pro:  You don't slip into a Tiger-esque roller coaster of back problems.

Con:  Your chances of winning the Masters are significantly reduced.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

He warmed up and told ESPN's Tom Rinaldi and gave it a go. Then went to tee box and then left. 

My point or question was. If he teed off and withdrew after 2nd hole, for example would he drop in rankings or have any effect on earnings?

35 minutes ago, golfer6258 said:

My point or question was. If he teed off and withdrew after 2nd hole, for example would he drop in rankings or have any effect on earnings?

I think @Hardspoon answered this.

18 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

With the year DJ has had so far I'm guessing it wouldn't have had a huge effect on his ranking.

I don't think his earnings or world ranking had anything to do with why he withdrew. It most likely had to do with him not feeling he could compete and not wanting to injury it further.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Someone smarter than me will have to confirm, and/or provide details, but if I remember correctly, there's also a component with respect to the annual money title...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If he had tried to continue and then hurt his back further and then withdrew he would have won no money so he would have had to have played and made the cut to earn money. So it did not hurt his money ranking it was like he skipped the tournament. Now for his ranking as number one his WD would count as a tournament played and thus could affect his ranking depending who was close enough to go past him if they did well at the Masters. To make his ranking points stay the same he would have had to earn more point than he had drop off from his finish last year. Yet he could have lost his ranking as number one if who ever was behind him won the Masters and they may have jumped over him. I guess we will know Monday. This is confusing me and making me dizzy so if you feel the same way don't feel bad. :-D

Edited by shanksalot

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Someone smarter than me will have to confirm, and/or provide details, but if I remember correctly, there's also a component with respect to the annual money title...

I think the scoring title requires that you never withdraw mid-round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:48 AM, shanksalot said:

If he had tried to continue and then hurt his back further and then withdrew he would have won no money so he would have had to have played and made the cut to earn money. So it did not hurt his money ranking it was like he skipped the tournament. Now for his ranking as number one his WD would count as a tournament played and thus could affect his ranking depending who was close enough to go past him if they did well at the Masters. To make his ranking points stay the same he would have had to earn more point than he had drop off from his finish last year. Yet he could have lost his ranking as number one if who ever was behind him won the Masters and they may have jumped over him. I guess we will know Monday. This is confusing me and making me dizzy so if you feel the same way don't feel bad. :-D

If he would have played and then WD a few holes in, then it would have counted as a event played, yes, but since he didn't start, it is like he skipped the event.  Rory is a little under 4 points behind him, his world ranking will not be in jeopardy unless Rory/Day start winning and DJ has to sit out for a substantial amount of time.  The World Golf Ranking is a two year "rolling" period...confusing, but it will take quite a bit for him to lose his #1 ranking.

On 4/7/2017 at 5:35 AM, Hardspoon said:

This is a key point. The Masters is an invitational tournament, and the field is largely set a few weeks out. Exceptions: People who win a spring PGA tournament or have a major points jump.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

This is DJ we're talking about here....I don't think any of it is as nuanced or complicated or thought out to the little details like world ranking or getting a paycheck.......or anything like that.

I think he wanted to play the Masters, decided to warm up as best he could and see how it felt all the way up to the first tee.....it felt bad.....he decided to not risk it, didn't feel up to giving this competition his best effort.....and withdrew.

Guys like this don't like to do anything halfway.  If he didn't feel he was 'good to go', he should step away.

I admire the decision.  It had to have been difficult to skip a major for a competitor like him.

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

I had placed a bet on him in Las Vegas to win. Since he didn't tee off it was no action and i got my $20 bet back.

I am certain this entered his mind when making the decision.:-D

Edited by ev780

Note: This thread is 2566 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!