IGNORED

17 at Sawgrass - What Would You Do?

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 2537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What would you do - 17 at Sawgrass?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Drop zone or retee?

• Reload on the tee
    • Hike to the drop zone

I'd reload on the tee. I trust my full swing more than my possibly twitchy half swing and that first shot I dunked gave me some practice.

Charles P.

:cobra: Fly-Z, Paderson shaft. :callaway: 15o XR, steelhead XR 6-PW. :adams: 16o fairway, 3 & 4 hybrids. :titleist: Vokey 48o, 52o, & 58o.  :odyssey:Toulon San Diego AR.

Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

Atlantic...  ;-)

OK, but I don't like hitting partial wedges over the Atlantic either! :-(

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would re-tee. I can't hit a wedge to save my life (I can just either fat or thin) If I hit 8 or 9i in the water. I'm hitting it again. If I put that in the water, i'll hit it again.  Then after three times in the water, I'm walking to the 18th tee.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I heard from the commentators that the grass grouth was against the shot on the drop zone, so that makes the 65 yards shot even harder to judge the correct distance.

I will choose the shorter shot everytime but what i wrote above make me doubt.  

Drop zone.  Would prefer to not try and hit the same exact shot I just dunked...and prefer the shorter wedge shot.  Not as afraid of those shots.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

3 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

I heard from the commentators that the grass grouth was against the shot on the drop zone, so that makes the 65 yards shot even harder to judge the correct distance.

I will choose the shorter shot everytime but what i wrote above make me doubt.  

I've heard the announcers say nonsense like this before and my only question is ... what does that even mean??  Fairway grass is cut really tight, the ball is contacted by the club BEFORE the club hits the ground, and the path of the ball immediately upon impact is UP ... so what the heck does the grass have to do with anything?

I'm pretty sure that this is just TV commentators doing what they do best ... talking out of their butts. ;)

• Upvote 2

I don't see the reward by re-loading from the tee..a shorter shot should be more forgiving than trying to hit an island from 145..

I'd drop.

On 14/05/2017 at 1:26 PM, billchao said:

I'm not worried about stopping the ball at either distance but the shorter shot is significantly easier. 

It is possible that you have never played a course with fast greens.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I'll take the shorter shot, but I can see why the decision would give some people pause. Neither of the options are particularly attractive.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

12 hours ago, Shorty said:

And you'd be wrong.

But we're not talking about what I'd do after I hit my first putt into the water. ;-)

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, Shorty said:

Even playing a course with fast and firm greens it is possible to stop the golf ball on that lower shelf. If you slightly open the face of your wedge and make crisp contact you can get a shot with high spin and a fairly steep trajectory that stops within 5-10 feet even on a firm and fast green. 

25 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Even playing a course with fast and firm greens it is possible to stop the golf ball on that lower shelf. If you slightly open the face of your wedge and make crisp contact you can get a shot with high spin and a fairly steep trajectory that stops within 5-10 feet even on a firm and fast green. 

The pros were having trouble from the drop zone on that front left pin location from the drop zone.

Trollin' is the life

35 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

The pros were having trouble from the drop zone on that front left pin location from the drop zone.

You could get the ball closer from the tee, yes, but the average distance from the hole is going to be a lot more than it is from the drop zone. You have the spin off the tee to get the ball to end up a couple feet from the hole, but the odds of that happening are very low and the average approach distance would still likely be further from the hole than it is from the drop zone. 

I'd be willing to bet if you took the entire field and had them hit five shots from the tee and five from the drop zone, the average proximity to the hole from the drop zone would be less than the average proximity to the hole from the tee (especially since more people are going to dunk it in the water off the tee than from the drop zone).

54 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

You could get the ball closer from the tee, yes, but the average distance from the hole is going to be a lot more than it is from the drop zone. You have the spin off the tee to get the ball to end up a couple feet from the hole, but the odds of that happening are very low and the average approach distance would still likely be further from the hole than it is from the drop zone. 

I'd be willing to bet if you took the entire field and had them hit five shots from the tee and five from the drop zone, the average proximity to the hole from the drop zone would be less than the average proximity to the hole from the tee (especially since more people are going to dunk it in the water off the tee than from the drop zone).

Like I said in my initial post I would use the pin placement to determine whether or not to go to drop zone. Front left rd 3 you could definitely get closer from the tee as it was too close and downwind when they were playing to knock it close. 

Trollin' is the life

(edited)
1 hour ago, MuniGrit said:

Like I said in my initial post I would use the pin placement to determine whether or not to go to drop zone. Front left rd 3 you could definitely get closer from the tee as it was too close and downwind when they were playing to knock it close. 

My argument is not that you can get it closer from the drop zone, but that it's the smarter play to make because the average shot will be better. The exceptional shot from the tee will likely be closer than the exceptional shot from the drop zone, I readily admit that much. It's not the back nine on Sunday though, so it wasn't time in the tournament yet to take a risky gamble that could potentially give you a marginally better result when the other play is both safer (you're less likely to dunk it again) and will give you a better result (closer to the hole on average).

Edited by Pretzel

• 2 weeks later...

Playing there next year. My buddy is getting married there, we have discussed this very topic and have agreed to re-tee as we will never play there again. Plus with our scores it really doesn't matter an 8 there will match a couple others on the card.

• Administrator
On 5/16/2017 at 6:38 PM, Pretzel said:

My argument is not that you can get it closer from the drop zone, but that it's the smarter play to make because the average shot will be better. The exceptional shot from the tee will likely be closer than the exceptional shot from the drop zone, I readily admit that much. It's not the back nine on Sunday though, so it wasn't time in the tournament yet to take a risky gamble that could potentially give you a marginally better result when the other play is both safer (you're less likely to dunk it again) and will give you a better result (closer to the hole on average).

This is why I voted drop zone, absolutely.

(Assuming I'm playing for the best score, not to say something like "I holed out from the tee on 17 at Sawgrass!" or something.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2537 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!