IGNORED

What are your wedge yardages?

Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit 60 LW (when I can hit it) about 60-70 full. 

55 SW 80-90

54 SW 90-105

PW (used to hit it) 110-120 but struggling with it recently. I either pull it hard or shank slice it right. It's driving me crazy because I used to be automatic with it. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My 60 is good up to about 75-80 yards mostly

56 is good up to around 100

50 is good up to about 125 ish

PW is good up to about 135-140 

Of course the are all to be taken with a grain of salt because my swing is pretty junk so these are expected distances on good strikes which do not happen as often as I like. Most of the time I prefer to fall a bit short of my target as opposed to long as the courses around here tend have harder ground and/or more trouble long of the green.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I carry 4 wedges right now...

PW - 122 Yards (Max)  115 Yards (90%)
AW - 107 Yards (Max)  100 Yards (90%)
54° - 95 Yards (Max)  85 Yards (90%)
58° - 80 Yards (Max)  75 Yards (90%)

Inside of 100 yards... it really depends a lot on my lie and where the flag is located.  I like to play a lower flight with my 54° when a pin is back... but I prefer a higher shot with my 58° when a pin is up front.  

I'm inconsistent (at best) when I get inside 70 yards.  I've tried the 'clock' system with my arms, but I find that if I pay too much attention to my arms, I forget to move my lower body and that leads to some really, really bad results. 

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

25 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

I carry 4 wedges right now...

PW - 122 Yards (Max)  115 Yards (90%)
AW - 107 Yards (Max)  100 Yards (90%)
54° - 95 Yards (Max)  85 Yards (90%)
58° - 80 Yards (Max)  75 Yards (90%)

Inside of 100 yards... it really depends a lot on my lie and where the flag is located.  I like to play a lower flight with my 54° when a pin is back... but I prefer a higher shot with my 58° when a pin is up front.  

I'm inconsistent (at best) when I get inside 70 yards.  I've tried the 'clock' system with my arms, but I find that if I pay too much attention to my arms, I forget to move my lower body and that leads to some really, really bad results. 

CY

Read more  

A bit like this for me. Tried the clock idea, worked okay at times but it messes up my rhythm and feel. I play in a fair bit of wind and most of the year round so I just know my maximums (80% swing) and short pitch shot swing distance. Anything else is less precise (or maybe just familiar). I change club choice based on what flight i need to get it there. I like lower flight wedges most of the time but finding it better just being positive and getting solid contact. 

Besides my 47 degree, i don't know. PW is the only one of my wedges i take full swings with. I don't even practice full swings with my 52 and 58 degree.  A typical full swing with PW flies 130.  For anything less, its more of a feel thing for me with lie, pin position and wind considered. I hit everything from my 58 to an 9iron from 125 and in. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

46 degree: 145, 120, 95

52 degree: 125, 100, 75

56 degree: 112, 87, 62

60 degree: 100, 75, 50

These go Full, A3, A2.5

Read more  

What? No quarter length wedge shot distances?:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Full Swings

PW (Mizuno MP15) - 46 degree -  120

GW (Mizuno MP15) - 50 degree - 110

SW (Callaway Mack Daddy 2) 54 degree - 100

LW (Callaway Mack Daddy 2) 58 degree - 85

The LW has become more and more versatile for me and I use it for 40-90 yards much of the time now...Really liking it.

fixed the mistakes

Bill - 

PW:  135 - 110

UW:  125 - 100

SW(54):  105 - 60 (below 60 I still use it but with a pitching motion)

LW(58):  85 - 75 (I suppose) ... I rarely take regular swings with this club.  It's usually reserved for when I want higher and softer pitches or bunker shots.

In all honesty, I would be okay with the following 75% effort yardages. 

PW: 110

48°: 100

54°: 85

58° or 60°: 70-75... 

If I made solid contact with every wedge. 

It doesn't really matter if you know everyone else's wedge yardages. You need to know your own. I tape my yardages of all my irons and wedges to the shaft. I actually use the Pelz clock system for wedges... So I have 4 yardages taped on all my wedges. (And I have a lot of wedges). I mentioned my full yardages above.

There is no rule that says you cant tape your average yardages to your clubs.. I recommend everyone do it.

Edited by onthehunt526

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

It doesn't really matter if you know everyone else's wedge yardages. You need to know your own. 

I maybe wasn't clear in the original post but I know my full swing yardages and my intermediate distances for my current set of wedges.  I'm just wondering if there is a better way to arrange the gaps based on the experience of others.  I like the clock face system for hitting intermediate distances so I'm interested in how to optimize it.

When I bought my first set of wedges I only thought about the gaps in loft.  I then worked out out the yardages afterwards, but that means I ended up with some uneven yardage gaps.  So second time round I am going to look at things by distance i.e. I am going to buy a wedge that goes X yards with a full swing.

My current wedge profile looks like this (distance along the x axis, %age effort on the y axis, each wedge has a different color)

wedge_current.jpg.e1cd634a4c805f87f61030944c807008.jpg

So I could bunch the full swing yardages closer together, but then I lose a high lofted wedge around the green:

wedge_top.jpg.3427406d7e0b24bd2cc8db790c1029db.jpg

Or I can spread out the full swing yardages:

wedge_wide.jpg.80da5e2544c91029fd05b8d2608d52ef.jpg

Or maybe I can learn to hit more intermediate distances with each wedge.  

4 wedges and 3-4 distances seems to be a common approach so I am just interested in how people put their yardages together.  Or maybe, like me, they just bought the wedges and then see what yardages they end up with. 

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

@ZappyAd, I figured you knew your wedge distances, I was more talking to the whole TST universe, it was more rhetorical than anything.

I also mentioned taping personal yardages for wedges either below the grip or just above the head on your wedge shafts. I have mine on all my wedges and irons... My irons, though I only have 10:30 and full yardages, I haven't worked out the 9:00 and 7:30 yet, there some clubs I need to though, for the 5 or less tournament I'm playing soon.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!