IGNORED

What are your wedge yardages?

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm considering updating my wedges so I started thinking about the distances I wanted to cover with each one.

My current full swing yardages from PW are 122 110 90 70.  I then use a 10:30, 9:00, 7:30 system to hit intermediate yardages.  I'm wondering if it would be better to tighten the full swing yardages (120 110 100 90) or make the gaps a bit bigger (120 105 90 75 or 120 100 80 60). I'm leaning towards making the gaps a bit bigger and learning a way to consistently take 10 yards off to fill in the holes.

What yardages do you play with your wedges and do you think bigger or smaller gaps is the way to go?

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

3 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

I'm considering updating my wedges so I started thinking about the distances I wanted to cover with each one.

My current full swing yardages from PW are 122 110 90 70.  I then use a 10:30, 9:00, 7:30 system to hit intermediate yardages.  I'm wondering if it would be better to tighten the full swing yardages (120 110 100 90) or make the gaps a bit bigger (120 105 90 75 or 120 100 80 60). I'm leaning towards making the gaps a bit bigger and learning a way to consistently take 10 yards off to fill in the holes.

What yardages do you play with your wedges and do you think bigger or smaller gaps is the way to go?

Those are almost exactly my yardages too. I have a PW, GW, 54 and 58. For 100 yard shots, it's a 3/4 PW. So I've got the gaps covered. I rarely use the 58 for full swings. I would think more about the short game and up before deciding.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With a full swing, my pitching wedge goes about 130, my 54˚ SW goes 105, and my 60˚ LW goes about 90.  

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I play my wedges from 100 yards and further away with a full swing or a knockdown type swing 

Inside 90 yards I tend to use 1/2 swing and fade the ball with a 52 or 60 wedge most of the time.  If the lie is awkward and I am closer to the green say for example 30-40 yards on a upslope without any elevated green then I use a 9 iron and play more of a pitch and run 

Edited by dchoye

I agree with the Boogie man...I take away from the top of the bag and give to the lower.  Top of the bag, I just want to be on or close enough to the Green for par.  If I'm going to take a little off a 5 wood, I'd rather do that since I'm not looking to get it to tap in distance from 220...

With wedges however...I'm looking for either saving par with tap in distance or setting up a makeable birdie.

That being said, for me...

W - 135-140

50 degreee 120-125

56 degree 110

60 degree 100

64 degree..80

Considering bending the 56 to 54 and the 60 to 58.

I hit alot of full shots with my wedges so I went to the same weight shaft but in wedge flex.

PW- 125

48°- 110

54°- dont hit full maybe 95

60° dont hit full maybe 80

I thought of playing 5 wedges however it's pointless.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

My 49-degree GW goes 120 with a full swing. Inside of that, I don't take full swings.

I'll play the GW down to about 100 yards, which is a 90% swing with my 54-degree SW. I'll play that down to about 70 yards, which is 90% swing with my 60-degree LW. I use the 60 inside of that.

I'm fully aware that a better system exists, described in the book Lowest Score Wins, and I plan on implementing that soon. 

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

It all depends on the distance, lie, and spin....right?

What ever the type of shot you play it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to know how far you hit your clubs.  There is no magic wedge combination.    

53 minutes ago, vjgidda said:

It all depends on the distance, lie, and spin....right?

What ever the type of shot you play it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to know how far you hit your clubs.  There is no magic wedge combination.    

Not really helpful. Seems OP does know his distances, and was just asking for opinions on gapping at the low end of the scale.

I only carry three wedges...

PW: ~113
52: ~87
56: ~73

I use full swings with all three clubs, and normally choke-down, add a little cut, and/or shorten my swing a bit (feeling-wise) to take off 5-10 yards as needed. Except on long par 5s, I don't tend to have many approach shots between 60-100, and rely heavily on pitching for everything less than ~60 yards. For now, it's really just a feel thing. Me and my 56, playing lawn darts. :-)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

I haven't played enough to know for sure. I do know that I usually blade my 60 degree wedge to around 200 yards... LOL

• Upvote 1

46 degree: 145, 120, 95

52 degree: 125, 100, 75

56 degree: 112, 87, 62

60 degree: 100, 75, 50

These go Full, A3, A2.5

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

From my Game Golf...

wedges.JPG.00abd80837e4aee0cd46865ed4c12aa9.JPG

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

My wedge gaps go:

PW - 145

GW - 135

SW - 120

LW - 110

I just take 1/2 - 3/4 swings if I need to hit a yardage in one of those gaps.  My loft gaps aren't all the same as I have anywhere from 4-6 degrees of loft between these clubs, but I know I can hit a PW 100 yards if I change my backswing with it.  I think that would be something to work on for you, get the most out of each club, but then work on the 1/2-3/4 swings to fill in the gaps.

The only wedge I ever hit full is my PW.  123 yds.  And even that's pretty infrequent, as a little flighted 9-iron is a favorite alternative if conditions call for it.

Everything else is some sort of smooth/flighted/partial shot that varies depending on the specific circumstances in front of me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Full Swings

PW (Mizuno MP53) 120

GW (Mizuno MP53) 110

SW (Callaway Mack Daddy 2) 100

LW (Callaway Mack Daddy 2) 85

The LW has become more and more versatile for me and I use it for 40-90 yards much of the time now...Really liking it.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I only have 2 wedges at the moment, I need to add a gap wedge.

PW - smooth swing 135, 140 is max yardage

SW 56 degree 110, 115 is max yardage

clearly there is room for a 50 or 52 degree which I think should put me right about 120-125.

Being 6'4" with really long arms any only being in my mid 20's has its advantages. Typically 1-2 clubs further than most of my playing partners, shot direction is a different story hehe

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!