IGNORED

What Is Your Favorite Movie About Each Sport?

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Football: Varsity Blues

Baseball: Rookie of the Year

Basketball: Space Jam

Hockey: Miracle

Soccer: Lady Bugs

Auto Racing: Ricky Bobby

Bowling: The Big Lebowski

Surfing: n/a

Golf: Caddyshack

Boxing: The Cinderella Man

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, upndown21 said:

Soccer: Lady Bugs

Oh my, how could I have forgotten Lady Bugs?  I may have to try to dig up my VHS copy of it.  And a VHS player.  Or rent it some night on Google Play if it's there.  Great recall!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Football: Johnny Be Good.  Anthony Michael Hall, Robert Downey Jr. and Uma Thurman in a funny movie about a high school football star going through the recruiting process as we might have imagined it in the 80s.

Baseball: Field of Dreams

Basketball: Hoosiers.  Nothing else really comes close for me on this one.  Classic.

Hockey:  Miracle.  Wasn't quite old enough to remember it when it happened, and I love that the actors were actual hockey players.  Very realistic action scenes.

Soccer:  Victory.  Loved this movie as a kid.  Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, and Pele.  How could you not!!!

Auto Racing:  Talladega Nights.

Bowling:  Don't know why this is even on the list, by default, I feel like I have to go with The Big Lebowski.  I've never seen Kingpin and I don't know any other movies that deal with bowlng.

Surfing:  North Shore. Learned a lot about surfing culture, Hawaii, and Pidgin from this movie.

Golf:  Greatest Game Ever Played.  I was tempted to leave this one off the list because I know what most of answers are going to be.  Yawn.

Boxing:  Rocky III.  Just because that was the first one I remember watching when it came out.  I was too young for the previous two, and Clubber Lang was a perfect villian too.

Amazing, I'm Identical to GolfingDad except for Baaeball which is Field of Dreams for me.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Not on the list but I want to see Dangal, open in YT for CC.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I thought of another one as we were talking about bicycle jerseys.

Bike Racing - American Flyers with Kevin Costner

Skiing - Hot Dog the Movie

"WTF is a Chinese Downhill"  :beer:

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

15 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I thought of another one as we were talking about bicycle jerseys.

Bike Racing - American Flyers with Kevin Costner

Skiing - Hot Dog the Movie

"WTF is a Chinese Downhill"  :beer:

What about Better Off Dead for Skiing?

"I want my two dollars."

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Football: Rudy or Friday Night Lights

Baseball: The Natural

Basketball: Hoosiers

Hockey: Miracle

Soccer: No Clue

Auto Racing: Talladega Nights

Bowling: King Pin

Surfing: Point Break Vaya con Dios.

Golf: Caddyshack and Tin Cup

Boxing: Southpaw

Other all sports: Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Remember the Titans, The Program, Semi-Pro

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

Just now, boogielicious said:

What about Better Off Dead for Skiing?

"I want my two dollars."

I forgot about that one, very good flick.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

5 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I forgot about that one, very good flick.  

"Sorry I blew up your Mom Ricky."

Scott

My Swing Thread

Just now, boogielicious said:

"Sorry I blew up your Mom Ricky."

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

-Jerry

Just now, jsgolfer said:

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

:dance:

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I generally won't even consider a sports movie unless it's a comedy.

Football: Water Boy

Baseball: Major League

Golf: Happy Gilmore or Caddyshack, both are great.

Auto Racing: Does Mad Max count?

On 6/11/2017 at 7:08 AM, Vinsk said:

Football: Johnny Be Good.  Anthony Michael Hall, Robert Downey Jr. and Uma Thurman in a funny movie about a high school football star going through the recruiting process as we might have imagined it in the 80s.

Baseball: Field of Dreams

Basketball: Hoosiers.  Nothing else really comes close for me on this one.  Classic.

Hockey:  Miracle.  Wasn't quite old enough to remember it when it happened, and I love that the actors were actual hockey players.  Very realistic action scenes.

Soccer:  Victory.  Loved this movie as a kid.  Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, and Pele.  How could you not!!!

Auto Racing:  Talladega Nights.

Bowling:  Don't know why this is even on the list, by default, I feel like I have to go with The Big Lebowski.  I've never seen Kingpin and I don't know any other movies that deal with bowlng.

Surfing:  North Shore. Learned a lot about surfing culture, Hawaii, and Pidgin from this movie.

Golf:  Greatest Game Ever Played.  I was tempted to leave this one off the list because I know what most of answers are going to be.  Yawn.

Boxing:  Rocky III.  Just because that was the first one I remember watching when it came out.  I was too young for the previous two, and Clubber Lang was a perfect villian too.

Amazing, I'm Identical to GolfingDad except for Baaeball which is Field of Dreams for me.

And Field of Dreams is way up there for me too.  There have been times when I would've considered it my favorite.

"Dad???  Wanna have a catch?" :~(:cry::cry::cry:

19 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

And Field of Dreams is way up there for me too.  There have been times when I would've considered it my favorite.

"Dad???  Wanna have a catch?" :~(:cry::cry::cry:

LOL! Yeah ...I'm not ashamed to say my throat gets a little tight at that scene....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 1 month later...

This is very difficult haha...

Baseball: Major League
Football: Friday Night Lights
Basketball: Space Jam
Wrestling: Vision Quest
Bowling: Kingpin
Golf: Happy Gilmore
Racing: Talladega Nights
Boxing: Rocky IV

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

• 2 weeks later...

Football: Rudy

Baseball: Eight Men Out

Basketball: Hoosiers

Hockey: Slap Shot

Soccer: The Damned United... though Bend it Like Beckham for Keira Knightley in a sports bra

Auto Racing: LeMans

Bowling: The Big Lebowski

Surfing: Endless Summer

Golf: The Greatest Game Ever Played

Boxing: Cinderella Man

Other: Seabiscuit

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Note: This thread is 2167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!