• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
    • iacas

      Win a Cart with Sun Mountain and TST!   06/02/2017

      You can win a Speed Cart GT or a Micro Cart GT from Sun Mountain!
ERLoft

PW to match wedges rather than iron set?

Pitching Wedge Matching   36 members have voted

  1. 1. Does you pitching wedge match your iron set?

    • Yes
    • No, my pitching wedge matches my other wedges
    • Actually, my pitching wedge doesn't really match either
    • They all match!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

While I'm sure this largely comes down to personal preference, I'm wondering how many people have a PW that matches the rest of their wedges rather than one that matches their irons?  I got my new clubs last week (insurance assisted replacements for my clubs that were stolen from the garage).  I had them semi-fit at a local golf shop, then took them to the range where I again had a second fitting session - this time outdoors.  Played rounds with them Saturday and Sunday.  Definitely happy with them overall, except possibly the pitching wedge.  Essentially my range time and Trackman numbers said I was hitting my 46* M1 PW only 5 yards farther than my 50* SM6 GW.  My fitter bent it back to the stock 45*, but it still doesn't seem to have the same zing that the SM6 does, nor does it have the same feel.  I'm pretty happy with the M1 9i - averaging about 140-145 with it.  Only two on course shots with the M1 PW and they're averaging about 118.  My 50* SM6 is averaging just over 110 so far.  With these early results, I'm considering getting a SM6 46* wedge to replace the M1 PW.  I'm thinking the 46* would be good for about 125-130.

So, does anyone else set up their set like this?  Any other feedback or thoughts?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Poll added. Interesting question. Mine matches my set.

Glad to see you're back up and running with a set of clubs after the theft!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give it some time before u do anything.  U won't always have the same gaps from club to club.  If u have wedge shafts in your wedges they might feel better because they play softer than whatever your stock shafts are...plus maybe heavier?...you like Heavy?   I don't know what shafts are in your m1's

Still, I'd give it 5 rounds of so before I did anything..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Post #4   Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Give it some time before u do anything.  U won't always have the same gaps from club to club.  If u have wedge shafts in your wedges they might feel better because they play softer than whatever your stock shafts are...plus maybe heavier?...you like Heavy?   I don't know what shafts are in your m1's

Still, I'd give it 5 rounds of so before I did anything..

Definitely heavier on the wedge swingweight, but not by a huge amount.  M1 PW is a D2, 50* SM6 is a D3.  I do prefer the heavier feel on the wedges, but there's no good way to increase swingweight on the M1 irons due to the nature of their construction.

Shafts in the M1's is the KBS Tour 105 - Stiff flex.  Shafts in the wedges is the stock Vokey wedge shaft.  

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that my set that was stolen was a mixed set of TaylorMade Tour Preferred irons.  I used the MB for 8i-PW, the MC for the 7i and the CB for 3i-6i.  As such, the feel of moving to a full cavity back design for the short irons is a definite change.  I also moved from using Project X 6.0 shafts to the KBS shafts.

5 rounds seems pretty reasonable, although I have a tournament a week from today and would like to feel some confidence in the PW going into that.  I'm going to try to hit the range a couple of times this week if I can get enough free time.

Edited by ERLoft
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My PW came with the iron set (Mizuno MP-15)

My GW is same brand, but a wedge vs the iron set (Mizuno JPX wedge)

SW and LW different brand completely (Callaway Mack Daddy 2)

I'm happy.  Gaps are fine, they don't feel terribly different even if they perform a bit different (the MDs are higher end and get more response).  But since they are for different types of shots, I'm good with that.  Loving the LW this year - really getting great results.

Little low PW chips are maybe something I'd consider making a change for. But I need to learn to hit that shot better before even thinking it's the gear vs just me (it's me).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, ERLoft said:

While I'm sure this largely comes down to personal preference, I'm wondering how many people have a PW that matches the rest of their wedges rather than one that matches their irons?  I got my new clubs last week (insurance assisted replacements for my clubs that were stolen from the garage).  I had them semi-fit at a local golf shop, then took them to the range where I again had a second fitting session - this time outdoors.  Played rounds with them Saturday and Sunday.  Definitely happy with them overall, except possibly the pitching wedge.  Essentially my range time and Trackman numbers said I was hitting my 46* M1 PW only 5 yards farther than my 50* SM6 GW.  My fitter bent it back to the stock 45*, but it still doesn't seem to have the same zing that the SM6 does, nor does it have the same feel.  I'm pretty happy with the M1 9i - averaging about 140-145 with it.  Only two on course shots with the M1 PW and they're averaging about 118.  My 50* SM6 is averaging just over 110 so far.  With these early results, I'm considering getting a SM6 46* wedge to replace the M1 PW.  I'm thinking the 46* would be good for about 125-130.

So, does anyone else set up their set like this?  Any other feedback or thoughts?

@ERLoft,

I think it depends on two things. Personal preference and feel. As you stated you aren't getting the results with the M1 PW that you are looking for.

It seems to me maybe the SM6 would be the club you are looking for. But be wary. For whatever reason, in my experience, speciality PW (46°-48°) tend to have a little more spin than their iron mate counterparts. If you are mostly using it for full shots, you should be fine. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if your going to keep your stock pw bag it has the same shaft as your irons as it comes as a set. now if you want to pick up a 46º wedge and take out the stock wedge. then you want to get a different shaft besides the stock wedge shaft that comes with the wedges that says wedge flex. stock wedge might be more forgiving then a 46º but  a 46º wedge will give you better spin and control. stock wedge is easier to hit i think. but a sm6 46º feels and spins so much more. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine matches my set. Never had a PW that wasn't iron-like. I use my PW more as an iron than a wedge anyway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got new wedges last fall, and went with 48 - 54 - 60. With my old combo, I had X20T PW and 50 / 54 / 58 CG14s.

Before switching, I found in most rounds I used either the PW or the 50, but not usually both. Also, my old wedge matrix had several cells with distance overlaps. And, it's easier to practice three vs. four wedges.

I sometimes have to grip down on my 9i if the 48* seems a little short.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My PW matches the rest of my wedges.  I wish I could actually have my 8 and 9 irons the same as well.  I have found I am more consistent with my Edel PW compared to the PW from my iron set. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, cipher said:

My PW matches the rest of my wedges.  I wish I could actually have my 8 and 9 irons the same as well.  I have found I am more consistent with my Edel PW compared to the PW from my iron set. 

I'm thinking the same thing.  I'll give the M1 irons a few more rounds, but am considering going to P770 irons for the 8 & 9 as well.  Would make for a reasonable stepping stone going from pure blade wedges to those to the full cavity back 7i-4i.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is a yes because the PW is 47 degrees. I have a gap wedge at 52 degrees that is not the same as the iron set. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went with jpx900 5i-LW. Just because I wanted everything the same, look- shaft- everything. So far so good. I do need to get my GW tweaked a bit to adjust a gap between the PW

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My PW, GW, and SW match the rest of my Mizuno MX-100 and MX-200 iron sets, except I used a Mizuno 56/10 as the SW for the MX-100's.

BUT BLESSINGS OF ALL BLESSINGS...I helped two famous (in the industry among golf pros) custom club builders in a project without charge, because I like them so much. They just bestowed 5 (that's FIVE) custom made wedges. I carried three in a tournament last week and immediately noticed the precise weights and balances. So I voted that my wedges don't match my irons. -Marv  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you went from almost 120 gram shafts down to 105 with the KBS...that's gonna take some getting used to besides the fact that Project x and KBS are pretty different.

The vokey shafts are probably 120-125 gram wedge shafts so now you have a big difference between M1 and those.

I reshafted my Cally pm grind wedges with the Nippon Modus 105 wedge shafts.  I play the modus 105 in my iron set.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know I am the oddball here because I don't carry irons.  After I got injured I found that I was having trouble hitting my 19 and 17 woods consistently.  So to cover the gap between my 49 degree wedge and my 15 wood I put together a 46 degree wedge and 42 degree wedge.  So now I carry 5 wedges from 42 to 59 degree.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now