IGNORED

PW to match wedges rather than iron set?

Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pitching Wedge Matching  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Does you pitching wedge match your iron set?

• Yes
    • No, my pitching wedge matches my other wedges
    • Actually, my pitching wedge doesn't really match either
    • They all match!

While I'm sure this largely comes down to personal preference, I'm wondering how many people have a PW that matches the rest of their wedges rather than one that matches their irons?  I got my new clubs last week (insurance assisted replacements for my clubs that were stolen from the garage).  I had them semi-fit at a local golf shop, then took them to the range where I again had a second fitting session - this time outdoors.  Played rounds with them Saturday and Sunday.  Definitely happy with them overall, except possibly the pitching wedge.  Essentially my range time and Trackman numbers said I was hitting my 46* M1 PW only 5 yards farther than my 50* SM6 GW.  My fitter bent it back to the stock 45*, but it still doesn't seem to have the same zing that the SM6 does, nor does it have the same feel.  I'm pretty happy with the M1 9i - averaging about 140-145 with it.  Only two on course shots with the M1 PW and they're averaging about 118.  My 50* SM6 is averaging just over 110 so far.  With these early results, I'm considering getting a SM6 46* wedge to replace the M1 PW.  I'm thinking the 46* would be good for about 125-130.

So, does anyone else set up their set like this?  Any other feedback or thoughts?

:tmade: R11 9* Blur Stiff --- R11 14* 3w Blur Stiff --- Rescue 11 21* Aldila RIP Stiff :tmade: Tour Preferred CB 3i-6i --- MC 7i --- MB 8i-PW - Project X Flighted 6.0, custom lie and lofts :vokey: Oil Can 52.08 --- Oil Can 56.11 --- Oil Can 60.07 :cameron: 1996 Catalina - Custom specs made @ :titleist:

Poll added. Interesting question. Mine matches my set.

Glad to see you're back up and running with a set of clubs after the theft!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give it some time before u do anything.  U won't always have the same gaps from club to club.  If u have wedge shafts in your wedges they might feel better because they play softer than whatever your stock shafts are...plus maybe heavier?...you like Heavy?   I don't know what shafts are in your m1's

Still, I'd give it 5 rounds of so before I did anything..

• Like 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Give it some time before u do anything.  U won't always have the same gaps from club to club.  If u have wedge shafts in your wedges they might feel better because they play softer than whatever your stock shafts are...plus maybe heavier?...you like Heavy?   I don't know what shafts are in your m1's

Still, I'd give it 5 rounds of so before I did anything..

Definitely heavier on the wedge swingweight, but not by a huge amount.  M1 PW is a D2, 50* SM6 is a D3.  I do prefer the heavier feel on the wedges, but there's no good way to increase swingweight on the M1 irons due to the nature of their construction.

Shafts in the M1's is the KBS Tour 105 - Stiff flex.  Shafts in the wedges is the stock Vokey wedge shaft.  

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that my set that was stolen was a mixed set of TaylorMade Tour Preferred irons.  I used the MB for 8i-PW, the MC for the 7i and the CB for 3i-6i.  As such, the feel of moving to a full cavity back design for the short irons is a definite change.  I also moved from using Project X 6.0 shafts to the KBS shafts.

5 rounds seems pretty reasonable, although I have a tournament a week from today and would like to feel some confidence in the PW going into that.  I'm going to try to hit the range a couple of times this week if I can get enough free time.

Edited by ERLoft

:tmade: R11 9* Blur Stiff --- R11 14* 3w Blur Stiff --- Rescue 11 21* Aldila RIP Stiff :tmade: Tour Preferred CB 3i-6i --- MC 7i --- MB 8i-PW - Project X Flighted 6.0, custom lie and lofts :vokey: Oil Can 52.08 --- Oil Can 56.11 --- Oil Can 60.07 :cameron: 1996 Catalina - Custom specs made @ :titleist:

My PW came with the iron set (Mizuno MP-15)

My GW is same brand, but a wedge vs the iron set (Mizuno JPX wedge)

SW and LW different brand completely (Callaway Mack Daddy 2)

I'm happy.  Gaps are fine, they don't feel terribly different even if they perform a bit different (the MDs are higher end and get more response).  But since they are for different types of shots, I'm good with that.  Loving the LW this year - really getting great results.

Little low PW chips are maybe something I'd consider making a change for. But I need to learn to hit that shot better before even thinking it's the gear vs just me (it's me).

Bill - 

13 hours ago, ERLoft said:

While I'm sure this largely comes down to personal preference, I'm wondering how many people have a PW that matches the rest of their wedges rather than one that matches their irons?  I got my new clubs last week (insurance assisted replacements for my clubs that were stolen from the garage).  I had them semi-fit at a local golf shop, then took them to the range where I again had a second fitting session - this time outdoors.  Played rounds with them Saturday and Sunday.  Definitely happy with them overall, except possibly the pitching wedge.  Essentially my range time and Trackman numbers said I was hitting my 46* M1 PW only 5 yards farther than my 50* SM6 GW.  My fitter bent it back to the stock 45*, but it still doesn't seem to have the same zing that the SM6 does, nor does it have the same feel.  I'm pretty happy with the M1 9i - averaging about 140-145 with it.  Only two on course shots with the M1 PW and they're averaging about 118.  My 50* SM6 is averaging just over 110 so far.  With these early results, I'm considering getting a SM6 46* wedge to replace the M1 PW.  I'm thinking the 46* would be good for about 125-130.

So, does anyone else set up their set like this?  Any other feedback or thoughts?

@ERLoft,

I think it depends on two things. Personal preference and feel. As you stated you aren't getting the results with the M1 PW that you are looking for.

It seems to me maybe the SM6 would be the club you are looking for. But be wary. For whatever reason, in my experience, speciality PW (46°-48°) tend to have a little more spin than their iron mate counterparts. If you are mostly using it for full shots, you should be fine. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

if your going to keep your stock pw bag it has the same shaft as your irons as it comes as a set. now if you want to pick up a 46º wedge and take out the stock wedge. then you want to get a different shaft besides the stock wedge shaft that comes with the wedges that says wedge flex. stock wedge might be more forgiving then a 46º but  a 46º wedge will give you better spin and control. stock wedge is easier to hit i think. but a sm6 46º feels and spins so much more. 

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

Mine matches my set. Never had a PW that wasn't iron-like. I use my PW more as an iron than a wedge anyway.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I got new wedges last fall, and went with 48 - 54 - 60. With my old combo, I had X20T PW and 50 / 54 / 58 CG14s.

Before switching, I found in most rounds I used either the PW or the 50, but not usually both. Also, my old wedge matrix had several cells with distance overlaps. And, it's easier to practice three vs. four wedges.

I sometimes have to grip down on my 9i if the 48* seems a little short.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My PW matches the rest of my wedges.  I wish I could actually have my 8 and 9 irons the same as well.  I have found I am more consistent with my Edel PW compared to the PW from my iron set. 

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

2 minutes ago, cipher said:

My PW matches the rest of my wedges.  I wish I could actually have my 8 and 9 irons the same as well.  I have found I am more consistent with my Edel PW compared to the PW from my iron set. 

I'm thinking the same thing.  I'll give the M1 irons a few more rounds, but am considering going to P770 irons for the 8 & 9 as well.  Would make for a reasonable stepping stone going from pure blade wedges to those to the full cavity back 7i-4i.

Mine is a yes because the PW is 47 degrees. I have a gap wedge at 52 degrees that is not the same as the iron set. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I went with jpx900 5i-LW. Just because I wanted everything the same, look- shaft- everything. So far so good. I do need to get my GW tweaked a bit to adjust a gap between the PW

My PW, GW, and SW match the rest of my Mizuno MX-100 and MX-200 iron sets, except I used a Mizuno 56/10 as the SW for the MX-100's.

BUT BLESSINGS OF ALL BLESSINGS...I helped two famous (in the industry among golf pros) custom club builders in a project without charge, because I like them so much. They just bestowed 5 (that's FIVE) custom made wedges. I carried three in a tournament last week and immediately noticed the precise weights and balances. So I voted that my wedges don't match my irons. -Marv  

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Yeah, you went from almost 120 gram shafts down to 105 with the KBS...that's gonna take some getting used to besides the fact that Project x and KBS are pretty different.

The vokey shafts are probably 120-125 gram wedge shafts so now you have a big difference between M1 and those.

I reshafted my Cally pm grind wedges with the Nippon Modus 105 wedge shafts.  I play the modus 105 in my iron set.

I know I am the oddball here because I don't carry irons.  After I got injured I found that I was having trouble hitting my 19 and 17 woods consistently.  So to cover the gap between my 49 degree wedge and my 15 wood I put together a 46 degree wedge and 42 degree wedge.  So now I carry 5 wedges from 42 to 59 degree.

• 2 months later...

Brought this thread back because I just replaced the pitching wedge in my set for a 48° Vokey SM6. It took some fiddling around with the Vokey to get my yardages correct, but now its dead on. I had to get the Vokey bent 1° stronger to 47° (actually had to get it bent a little more than that turns out the 48° Vokey was closer to 49° when I bought it). The difference I feel out of the rough and using it around the green is far superior to my old pitching wedge. 

I got the idea looking at WITB pictures of several of the TOUR players. Justin Thomas and Jordan Speith both have Vokeys in place of the stock pitching wedges that come with their sets.

Has anyone else ever given this a try?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

18 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Brought this thread back because I just replaced the pitching wedge in my set for a 48° Vokey SM6. It took some fiddling around with the Vokey to get my yardages correct, but now its dead on. I had to get the Vokey bent 1° stronger to 47° (actually had to get it bent a little more than that turns out the 48° Vokey was closer to 49° when I bought it). The difference I feel out of the rough and using it around the green is far superior to my old pitching wedge. 

I got the idea looking at WITB pictures of several of the TOUR players. Justin Thomas and Jordan Speith both have Vokeys in place of the stock pitching wedges that come with their sets.

Has anyone else ever given this a try?

I just answered the poll with stock set, because I just don't swing fast enough to use only wedges up to 150 yards. In fact, my 50 degree is the U wedge in a set of Ping i20 with a 56 and 60 following and the U only goes 120 on a full swing which I almost never do on the course.

My guess is you'll only get affirmation with golfers who swing 116+ with their drivers. . .

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!