IGNORED

LPGA To Enforce more Strict Dress Code

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Dude, move on.

Telling professional golfers to make sure their ass cheeks are not hanging out of their shorts or skirts will do nothing to stifle the growth of the game or make golf "stuffy."

Jeez.

This. And really, with all the venues, websites and other shows for that kind of stuff, I don't think golfers tune in to LPGA to see if anyone's wearing something skimpy. I watch LPGA often when there's a good leaderboard. Sure I prefer to watch Wie over Shan Shan, but what they wear isn't going to change the viewership, nor make golf appear 'stuffy.'

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's appropriate for the tour to require the players to hold certain standards.

The only lpga player in recent memory that brought me to watch was Creamer.  

My wife and her friend watch the LPGA and I often hear them say "cute outfit".  Never have they said anything about the attire being unprofessional.  They are in their 50s and both play golf and buy golf outfits.  I sometimes thing they are as much into the fasion on the tour as they are into watching the golf.

The LPGA was becoming a fasion trend setter.  That has to be good for the tour.  They should leave it alone.  

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, MRR said:

My fiancee forbids me from agreeing with that post.

Maybe a reconsideration is in order. You are not married yet.

If they going to even try to police this, a playing "uniform" should be dictated. Why not require pants and a collared shirt if they are looking for equality? I think Brook Henderson's attire is attractive and falls in guidelines of the pga uniform. This being said, I love seeing a woman in a sporty fashionable golf short skirt much better than I like someone packed like a sardine in cow print. I find it perplexing that women want respect and to be viewed for their golfing abilities but also want to wear as little of clothes as possible.

I really don't know where I am going here except it seems like they need to pull the sexy out of the lpga to achieve this.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I don't think golfers tune in to LPGA to see if anyone's wearing something skimpy.

I would tend to agree. I don't think they'll lose any viewership because Michelle Wie can't wear a tank tap anymore. I read somewhere that viewership has been going up the past couple years, that's great and hopefully that's more due to women and young girls watching.

For me the issue isn't that the attire is revealing, it's that it doesn't resemble golf attire. It's almost something you'd wear to play tennis or for a workout. The "dress code" is part of how golf sets itself apart from other sports so I think it's good to keep things within the professional realm. I personally don't even like the collar-less Nike shirts that Rory and Day are wearing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

My wife and her friend watch the LPGA and I often hear them say "cute outfit".  Never have they said anything about the attire being unprofessional.  They are in their 50s and both play golf and buy golf outfits.  I sometimes thing they are as much into the fasion on the tour as they are into watching the golf.

My wife has commented on how short some skirts are for sure. Or how tight some tops are. Etc.

She was a buyer for a clothing store too, years ago, and is still up on fashion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What a joke.  Next they'll tell Michelle Wie when's she's bent over to putt, that it resembles the start position of twerking..... she'll have to change it.  Their clothing is an issue?  Classic example of somebody making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, ckp160 said:

Classic example of somebody making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If it's a mole hill, then it's not nothing.

And I disagree that they're making a "mountain" out of this. They're just asking players to dress a little differently. Maybe they're just making a mole hill out of a mole hill?

And a big part of the message pertained to things we don't see on TV - the pro-ams, the sponsor meet-ups, etc. Judging by the message, players were wearing ratty jeans and stuff to meet up with sponsors. Nobody's talking about that part, and that was a good chunk of the message.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, mvmac said:

I personally don't even like the collar-less Nike shirts that Rory and Day are wearing.

A friend of mine got me one of those many years ago.  In white.  And it wasn't Nike, and the brand didn't have a prominent logo.

It felt like I was wearing an expensive undershirt.  I never wore it to the golf course or even the range.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On a completely unrelated and off-topic note, I think Annika Sorenstam was my favorite golfer ever to watch.  She really wrote the book on how a golfer that plays the same distances as I do, or even less, can completely dominate a golf course. Even a long course.

Edited by lastings
  • Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

My guess is the tour wants uniformity in the way the players dress. Because women tend to be more fashion conscience and the LPGA is rapidly being populated by younger members in recent years the clothing choices have started to get away from a golf look to a more personalized look. Some of the stuff I've seen had me wondering if it was even designed for golf.

The men have also started getting away from traditional styles, Rickie's baseball pants/jogger things were directly inspired by what was being worn on the street. Times change, styles change but I can see how professional golf wants to retain some tradition as well parity in how the players present to the viewing audience.

Dave :-)

I saw an interview with the author of the Golf Digest article on the Golf Channel this morning.  Sounds like the issues might have been with Symetra tour.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I saw an interview with the author of the Golf Digest article on the Golf Channel this morning.  Sounds like the issues might have been with Symetra tour.

Interesting, and another thing nobody here has considered when making their posts, like my comment above about how we don't see what players are wearing when meeting with sponsors or to pro-am parties.

51 minutes ago, lastings said:

On a completely unrelated and off-topic note, I think Annika Sorenstam was my favorite golfer ever to watch.  She really wrote the book on how a golfer that plays the same distances as I do, or even less, can completely dominate a golf course. Even a long course.

Well, except Colonial CC. Which wasn't long.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well, except Colonial CC. Which wasn't long.

Come on, man.  She shot 71-74 under what had to be outrageous pressure.  I bet if she plays on the men's tour that whole summer she makes at least a handful of cuts.  Maybe more than she misses.  Who knows?  She was pretty damn good.

• Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

13 minutes ago, lastings said:

Come on, man.  She shot 71-74 under what had to be outrageous pressure.  I bet if she plays on the men's tour that whole summer she makes at least a handful of cuts.  Maybe more than she misses.  Who knows?  She was pretty damn good.

She was awesome. One if not the best female golfer ever. But just saying, she didn't dominate Colonial CC. But on topic, her attire was always professional and classy looking!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, lastings said:

His point was that she didn't "dominate" it, and that was a hand-selected course because it was one of the shortest the guys play. It's not "long" by even my standards, and I'm far from a PGA Tour player.

17 hours ago, David in FL said:

Yeah.  Nobody wants to see Laura Davies' butt cheeks!  :no:

I wish i could un-read that!  :cry:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!