IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, skydog said:

Maybe after tomorrow, people will actually start to acknowledge how good Spieth is. The dude is a gamer and knows how to post a score like no one I've seen before. He has a three shot lead and is playing with his B game (at best) this week.

Absolutely.  Though I am a big fan and never doubt his talent.  But sometimes you watch him when he playing without his best and you're just wondering "ok is he gonna even make double bogey here or worse?" And there he is making a par a few minutes later.  It seems sometimes like he fights super hard for pars, harded than he should have to.  I think it's interesting when you watch Golf Channel and they're always trying to figure out what makes him so good because aside from his putting nothing seems spectacular about his game but it really is underappreciated.  Just because he doesn't hit the kind of golf shots Tiger did doesn't mean Jordan isn't arguably the best player in the world right now

9 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I wasn't sure whether Bones was taking a little side shot at Phil or just complimenting Jordan, but I found it interesting when he said, "It's good to hear a golfer use the word 'We' and mean it."

Thats not what I heard him say.  I heard him say "yea when he says we he really means it" right after one of the other commentators was talking about how dedicated an effort it is from both.   I don't think Phil ever used the term "we" when I remember hearing him speak, but neither do 99% of players really.  I didn't take it as a shot at Phil at all.  Can't imagine they would have lasted 25 years if Bones didn't think he was appreciated

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

23 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Thats not what I heard him say.  I heard him say "yea when he says we he really means it" right after one of the other commentators was talking about how dedicated an effort it is from both.   I don't think Phil ever used the term "we" when I remember hearing him speak, but neither do 99% of players really.  I didn't take it as a shot at Phil at all.  Can't imagine they would have lasted 25 years if Bones didn't think he was appreciated

Oh ok. I must have misheard it. I just remember thinking "I wonder if he may be taking a little dig at Phil." But I probably just read too much into it. But Bones had a lot of great praise for Jordan. Not that I don't think he'd ever say anything bad about him, but you can tell from his perspective that he has a lot of respect for both him and his game. 

I think Spieth is great to watch.  He truly wants to win.  Can't say Mcilroy is as hungry or DJ.

Koepka is a slasher but he is dangerous if rolling the rock.  I think he wants it.   I don't like the slasher style though.

Spieth makes me nervous over four or five footers and his driver makes me nervous too.  Today his tempo was great I hope he can keep it up tomorrow ftw!

2 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

From the cadre of phenomenal players out there today, can't think of two nicer guys to go head to head in a Major than Kuch and Spieth.  Kuch is a "nice guy"... maybe too nice.  Has never appeared to have the "killer instinct" it takes to win decisively and often.  OTOH, I don't remember him being in a final group in a Major.  That casual demeanor may pay great dividends.  Spieth has upchucked on the final day of a Major before.  If he goes off the first tee aggressively and trying to make birdies... he will win.  If he plays to not lose and gets too tense worrying that someone might catch him, he is apt to tank.  Koepka has been playing great all year and has just won a Major.  He could easily walk away with this.  Looking for a great day of golf on television!!!!

Don't they call Kuchar the Smiling Assasin?

Acting like a good sportsman doesn't mean you're not ultra competitive inside.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Can't say Mcilroy is as hungry or DJ.

Has nothing to do with "want".......it has to do with talent and the ability to get it done........Jordon just has a bit more than both imo.....end of story

BTW....been kind of waiting all night for someone to day that "so and so" has more "talent" than Jordon speith.........and then just laugh

• Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Meh talent is the prerequisite.  Desire to win motivates the hard work that maximizes talent.  I think Rory has more talent wise than Jordan.  Check this out

• Upvote 1

I haven't really heard much of Bones' commentary, but the way he talks, phrasing and intonation, it's similar to Mickelson. Maybe just hearing things.

Johnny Miller, you the king still.

Awww man, that sucks, lemme stretch my hams.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

44 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Desire to win motivates the hard work that maximizes talent.  I think Rory has more talent wise than Jordan.

Desire to win IS TALENT.....can anyone grasp that

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Antneye said:

He's now a name...... Pretty obvious, no? 

I don't think he is. Casual golf fans won't know who he is in three weeks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Slightly annoyingly, I'm in Sri Lanka on holiday for this week, so have had to rely on a daily tw=o hour highlight package, which just isn't the same as it mostly shows putts... For me, the last two days have showcased the greatness of links golf with how much the weather changes how the course plays. It was great to watch the 12th and 14th live stream (both par threes on the back nine) in the wind on Friday afternoon when about 1 in 3 managed to find the green. You then had the contrast with the stunning conditions and good scoring, making for an interesting leaderboard (at least until Spieth and Kuchar hit -9/-8 respectively). Not as good as last year's Open, but the course is a better one than Troon for my money. Hard to see past Spieth if he keeps that big right off the tee at bay, but if he starts losing his drives like at last year's Masters, that could do it.

@iacas By the way, for the front page, whilst the clubhouse doesn't look dissimilar, that's a picture of Castle Stuart, rather than Royal Birkdale - you can see the Scottish flag in the full-size pic below: 

http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Castle-Stuart-9th-Green.jpg

If you'd like a suggestion for a different picture, I'd go for the par 5 6th :-)

http://globalgolflinks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/birkdale-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Spieth seems less jittery this week. I think the gum is helping. He also seems to be playing faster, but that might be the camera work. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

So, no it wasn't, @Golfingdad. ;-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't think he is. Casual golf fans won't know who he is in three weeks.

You are probably correct, but his name will be repeated over and over again at every major. If the record stands the test of time his name will be well known. 

I'm on team Kuch today. Would love to see him finally win one. 

Edited by Antneye

• Administrator

Spieth hits it in the junk and then says "that's crap not getting rewarded for a good shot."

Huh?

You hit it in the shit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Spieth hits it in the junk and then says "that's crap not getting rewarded for a good shot."

Huh?

You hit it in the shit.

Yeah - his caddie's response: "Get over it."

- John

• Administrator

Kuch to a foot on two!

Jordan to 10.

Note: This thread is 2467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!