IGNORED

POLL: Is Jordan Spieth a Whiny Baby?

Phil McGleno
Note: This thread is 2457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jordan Spieth  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jordan Spieth a Whiny Baby?

• Yes
    • A Little
    • No
  2. 2. Given the above do you like Jordan or dislike Jordan?

• He is not whiny and I like him
    • He is not whiny but I dislike him
    • He is sometimes or usually whiny but I like him
    • He is sometimes or usually whiny and I dislike him

Some members today were talking about how Jordan Spieth is a whiny baby-Their words not mine. That he whines about bad breaks or bad shots or putts that lip out or whatever. That if Tiger did those things thousands would hate him but because he is Jordan he is okay still.-But they did not like him.

What do you all think?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not whiney and I like him.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

I voted that he is whiny, but I like him (not a lot, but I don't dislike him) anyway.

I've long since said I don't like everyone being robots on the PGA Tour.

I've heard people saying this too. You can google things and get a good number of results. It's not an uncommon opinion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't pay attention enough to notice really. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

From what little I have seen of him, he is not whiny.. If I was at tourney he was in, he'd be one of my favorites to watch. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

He sounds whiney but he is just vocal and says out loud what a lot of us think about after a shot. If he dwelled on a outcome for more than a hole or pissed about it in the press box, I would say he was whiney. Sounds like a group of fuddy duddies.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I don't think he's whiny and I like him.  

Some people don't like golfers that don't show emotion.  Some people don't like golfers that do show emotion.  Whatever.  For whatever reason, hyperbole has become the new normal.  So if you don't like someone, you're a hater.  if a golfer vocalizes his frustration or disappointment, he's a "whiny baby."

Edited by krupa

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I would say he is animated and acts like a 23-year old that hates to lose. I think he's a little over the top at times and once in a while will have the case of the "Keegan Bradley jitters", but at the same time, I've never heard the guy curse and have never once seen him throw his club. The people that complain about his whining never mention that part. 

If you ask me if I'd rather see him act the way he does or act the way DJ does and not show any emotion, I'll take the Jordan Spieth way. I think it's entertaining for the game. I have always liked a guy who isn't afraid to show his emotion. It is good for the game.

Edited by ChrisP

Anyone who calls him that needs to get their head checked.  He's just vocal and provides his own very entertaining commentary for us to watch, but he is not what I would call whiney.

• Upvote 1

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I don't see him as whiny--he just talks a lot and the networks know this so they always have a mic pointed at him.  Other than complaining about that one hole back in the 2015 US Open I can't remember him ever complaining about a course setup or anything other than remarking on his own bad shot or bad break which he is only doing to his caddie anyway.  

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

He may be a bit whiney but I don't watch professional sports because of personality. He's yet to do or say anything that would make me dislike him.

Jon

I think he's a little whiny at times but I still like him and enjoy cheering for him. I appreciate he seems genuine.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Anyone who calls him that needs to get their head checked.

No, that's not how that stuff works. There are a lot of people - not a majority, but a lot of people - who see some of his commentary as whiny. Like after his tee shot on the first hole. He hit in the left rough, it didn't pop out, and he whined about his "bad luck" or whatever that he hit a "perfect golf shot" and didn't get rewarded (or something like that). It wasn't perfect - it was in the left long rough.

He's a bit of a whiner, yes.

I don't really care. In fact, I kinda like that about him. It's a personality, which is sorely missing from many PGA Tour players.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Then you also have that situation where a person took a picture in his backswing and he stopped his backswing. His caddie was pissed, but Jordan was actually laughing it off at the time. 

Yea, I can see some of his actions as whining. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I voted whiny at times but I like him. But I'm not too absolute on either. I agree with @iacas regarding robots being unfavorable. I think just about any player can act whiny at times, but overall I don't think he's too bad. Bubba is whiny. I do think when Jordan is on the mic he's too PC and saying what he thinks (knows) will be the nice apple pie American kid comments. He did say, "this is  crap, pure crap..hit a great shot and not get rewarded"..yeah, it wasn't a great shot, he hit it in the long rough. 

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, that's not how that stuff works. There are a lot of people - not a majority, but a lot of people - who see some of his commentary as whiny. Like after his tee shot on the first hole. He hit in the left rough, it didn't pop out, and he whined about his "bad luck" or whatever that he hit a "perfect golf shot" and didn't get rewarded (or something like that). It wasn't perfect - it was in the left long rough.

He's a bit of a whiner, yes.

I don't really care. In fact, I kinda like that about him. It's a personality, which is sorely missing from many PGA Tour players.

I remember that, I guess I just don't consider that to be whining.  He was upset, voiced his opinion about it to his caddie and moved on.  If thats whining then jesus.  Better than club throwing swearing Tiger.  "Tiger Woods you SUCK, God Damnit!" at The Masters was a real hoot lol.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 2457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!