IGNORED

Neither Rory Nor JDay Will Win Another Major

Seals
Note: This thread is 2420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rory and JDay  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rory and JDay win another major?

• Yes, one or both of them will win another major (post-2017)
    • No, neither will win another major

17 hours ago, Vinsk said:

No problem. Yeah I mean I'd like to think that as well. But my concern is that...he's young. And I don't mean to sound like the 'I walked up hill both ways to school' dude, but the 'healthy' thing is a bit irritating to me. I've been in full contact, high intensity sports. Never, never in my 20's would an injury at the level of what Rory has had be a deterrent for me. I mean ....cracked rib? Come on.... I know the younger generation is really soft on average...but I can't imagine sprains, aches ...minor injuries such as Rory, DJ's back (give me a break)...actually effecting my drive to play. If Rory REALLY wanted to win and was passionate..he would win...or come damn close...he's that good. But he isn't. And I don't see him being real bummed about it. It's more of a ..' Yeah.oh well...the game is there..but just not putting it all together....hey..did you see the Real Madrid game the other day?"  Pure speculation and opinion...but just the feeling I get with Rory and Day both.

All these younger guys have seen what happened to tiger when he rushed back from injuries so I doubt they wanna risk their future career on a single major or tournament. The level of competition is so high that winning while injured seems fairly unlikely, so why risk it. Seems like a smarter choice, more so than being soft.

I think one of them will win another major, if not both. Having one or two "bad years" seems like a stretch to justify that they will never win another major again.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Were you playing those sports at a professional level?

No, but I'm quite certain that college football and MMA bear quite a bit more demand on the body than what a golf pro is subjected to.

4 minutes ago, JxQx said:

All these younger guys have seen what happened to tiger when he rushed back from injuries

True, but a herniated disc, torn acl is quite different from a contusion or a cracked rib.

6 minutes ago, JxQx said:

Having one or two "bad years" seems like a stretch to justify that they will never win another major again.

Again, I'm not suggesting these players suck, or that they've lost their swing. I'm saying I don't think they are mentally in the game like they once were which can be a huge factor.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No, but I'm quite certain that college football and MMA bear quite a bit more demand on the body than what a golf pro is subjected to.

True, but a herniated disc, torn acl is quite different from a contusion or a cracked rib.

Except not really. Golf is a game of absolute precision and consistency. By introducing even small injuries you will certainly create idiosyncrasies in that persons golf swing that are not at all the norm producing a result that person is simply not adjusted to and therefore unable to control. The same really can't be said for football or MMA. Sure the way you throw an uppercut might slightly change but the level of precision needed isn't 1/10000 what a professional golf player needs. 

1 minute ago, Grizvok said:

Except not really. Golf is a game of absolute precision and consistency. By introducing even small injuries you will certainly create idiosyncrasies in that persons golf swing that are not at all the norm producing a result that person is simply not adjusted to and therefore unable to control. The same really can't be said for football or MMA. Sure the way you throw an uppercut might slightly change but the level of precision needed isn't 1/10000 what a professional golf player needs. 

You mean like when Tiger won while playing with a shredded knee? Sorry, we're gonna disagree on this. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Rory will win another major if he really wants to. Rory  so talented the only thing standing in his way is himself. He could dominate if he wanted to work hard. I don't think he likes golf like he did when he was younger. Guess his interests have changed now that he has money 

I see DJ and Spieth are the more dominant golfers today IMO

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

For sure, but why risk furthering an injury or delay the healing by playing through it. Seems like it'd be better to miss a tournament or two to come back at 100% than play the next six at 80%

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Again, I'm not suggesting these players suck, or that they've lost their swing. I'm saying I don't think they are mentally in the game like they once were which can be a huge factor.

Yeah I agree with you, but I think the mental side is something that can be changed very fast. Just look at how Ricky Fowler played after he got called overrated, that seemed like it light a fire under him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RWalker84 said:

. Rory  so talented the only thing standing in his way is himself.

Along with ball striking with mid and short irons and short game/putting. 

Trollin' is the life

3 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Along with ball striking with mid and short irons and short game/putting. 

Especially putting. He's an awful putter. In fact, look at his major championships. They're all won on slow greens where putting is a little easier. It's why he's had troubles breaking through at Augusta. It's always the putter that fails him on those fast greens, and until he fixes it, he'll never win a green jacket. Rory will still win a major or two and more tournaments, but he's never going to be a dominant player if his putting continues to suck.

This seems like an unnecessarily bold proclamation.  The fact that Rory has kept collecting top tens (if only rarely being thick in the hunt) despite not really being in top form over the last three years indicates to me that he could win one almost by accident.  If he keeps consistently being near the top of the leaderboard, he could catch a goofy US or British when the rest of the field struggles with a hard course or weather or something.

Day is still a bit more up in the air right now since he's in the midst of a 'swing change year,' so we'll have to see how he comes out of it.  Wouldn't shock me at all if he returns to his old form in 2018, however.

Golfing fortunes can change in a heartbeat.  At this time last year, nobody believed Sergio had the mental fortitude to win a major, and there were whispers that Spieth's Masters collapse had broken him for good as an elite player.  Dustin Johnson looked to be penciled in for a monster season and then he slipped down the stairs in Augusta.

8 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Especially putting. He's an awful putter. In fact, look at his major championships. They're all won on slow greens where putting is a little easier. It's why he's had troubles breaking through at Augusta. It's always the putter that fails him on those fast greens, and until he fixes it, he'll never win a green jacket. Rory will still win a major or two and more tournaments, but he's never going to be a dominant player if his putting continues to suck.

What counts as "dominant" in this post-Tiger world?  Not sure what your timeframe was for Rory's future, but that's a 5-10 year stretch where he wins "a major or two and more tournaments," that's pretty darn good.  That's close to a HOF resume itself, which would be an incredible second act to an already-superb career.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:20 PM, David in FL said:

I'll take some of that action.

Seriously. I'll go so far as to say they'll both win multiple majors from this point forward.

"Witty golf quote."

I don't know about Jason, but Rory will definitely win another major; I would guess at least 2-3 more.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On 8/22/2017 at 3:53 PM, StefanUrkel said:

What a silly thread. There is no "special sauce" to win a major.  They both are going to win many tournaments. Statistics say it is likely one of them will be a major. 

Tell me then, did you predict that Tiger wouldn't have a major after 2008? I bet statistics said he would. It is not silly. Bold predictions occur because someone went out on a limb. If everything was based on stats, then they would be no human aspect to it. 

They have as good a chance as any if they can hit a good seam of form and a few lucky breaks.

How many people thought Darren Clarke or Danny Willett or even Sergio Garcia would win a major? I certainly didnt.

Rory isnt having them best of times at the moment but he's only human and alllowed the odd bad day like the rest of us.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

11 hours ago, RussUK said:

They have as good a chance as any if they can hit a good seam of form and a few lucky breaks.

How many people thought Darren Clarke or Danny Willett or even Sergio Garcia would win a major? I certainly didnt.

Rory isnt having them best of times at the moment but he's only human and alllowed the odd bad day like the rest of us.

Danny Willet does not belong in the same category as Sergio or Rory for that matter. Danny was a pure fluke and will never contend in a Major again. I wish my bad days were like Rory's! lol. Yeah golf is a strange beast. Rory certainly has the skills to win another major, I just hope he wants to.

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Danny was a pure fluke and will never contend in a Major again.

This might happen, but it isn't an absolute.

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Rory certainly has the skills to win another major, I just hope he wants to.

I'm pretty sure he wants to.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think both of them will contend and win many majors in the future.

Neither of them are that far off their A game at the moment.

All this talk about Rory's percieved lack of hunger,I have a theory that it stems from his openess with the media.He does expose himself a bit more than many golfers,express's interests in other sports,off the cuff remarks about courses,a lot of which is probably not well thought out.When compared to other pros who only talk stoicly of the game,rory can appear as though he does'nt care as much.Which I doubt,the hunger will always be there.

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I'm pretty sure he wants to

This may happen. But it isn't an absolute.

Note: This thread is 2420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!