IGNORED

Body vs Arm Swing

dchoye
Note: This thread is 2344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Read a few threads about this topic and I really don't understand why it is describe as body vs arms?

shouldnt it be arms&body swing vs arms swing? 

If I just use just my arms ball generally goes shorter   The most maybe 60 yards before my rest of my body gets involved 

The more I get my body involved and synch with my arms the further the ball travels 

I never been able to move the ball with just a so call "body" swing   Maybe a body swing mean arms + rest of the body swing as that makes more sense to me 

Edited by dchoye

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Grizvok said:

The arms are THE biggest contributor to power in a golf swing.

I tend to agree. And made a video with Dave showing this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Body vs arms is just a feel thing, IMO. You can't really separate one from the other in a full swing motion.

Some people need more shoulder or hip turn so their swing looks all arms and some drag their arms behind them as they turn through.

A good swing will have both firing in sync, which is kind of funny because the traditionalists will claim it's a pure body motion. Feel ain't real. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I am also of the camp that arms are the biggest contributor to power. But the body sets up that power. For example, I have a feel of not pulling my arms down from the top, so as to give my feet/knees, hips and chest more time to open before the arms come powering down - I guess that's the whip action of which you hear. I recently gained 10 yards on my irons working on opening and not pulling the club down - but still using the arms - still talking with my guy about this... But the arms come down so fast that they can "outrace"? the body (and you lose the "whip"), so I am giving the body more time to open up. Interesting stuff.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I suspect that a successful "arm swing" and a successful "body swing" look pretty damn similar on video. It's all about what feels you need to get a good result. Remember, feel ain't real. All good swings are "Arms AND Body" swings, but they may feel vastly different to the swinger (or hitter, but that's a different, albeit very similar discussion ;-))

Edited by Ernest Jones
Can't spell.
  • Like 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

9 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

But the arms come down so fast that they can "outrace"? the body (and you lose the "whip"), so I am giving the body more time to open up. Interesting stuff.

If you watch the weekend PGA tournaments, a frequent TV swing replay involves a pro who has a severe pull or duck hook on a golf shot. More often than not, the golfer let the arms take over and outrace the body.

Here's a YouTube clip that shows Rory McIlroy launch a hard left - first in real time, then in slo-mo.

• Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
4 hours ago, WUTiger said:

If you watch the weekend PGA tournaments, a frequent TV swing replay involves a pro who has a severe pull or duck hook on a golf shot. More often than not, the golfer let the arms take over and outrace the body.

@WUTiger, please don't listen to what TV announcers have to say about the golf swing.

6 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Bradley Hughes has a good video of the two types of releases aka swings.

I don't agree that there are "two types of releases." I don't even think everyone agrees on what a "release" is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2017-08-20 at 5:15 AM, billchao said:

Body vs arms is just a feel thing, IMO. You can't really separate one from the other in a full swing motion.

Some people need more shoulder or hip turn so their swing looks all arms and some drag their arms behind them as they turn through.

A good swing will have both firing in sync, which is kind of funny because the traditionalists will claim it's a pure body motion. Feel ain't real. 

When the swing is all arms for me I feel like the rest of my body is just there for alignment 

It hard for me to develop synch though sometimes I could and when I do then  my arms don't really "swing " but" release" with the club  as one unit and my body doesn't swing My body turns and my arms and clubs swing in synch

When I feel like it's only arms swing with no body turn or pivot then the club doesn't not release naturally with my elbows or wrist   The face is generally held off or the at the shaft angle 

On 2017-08-20 at 9:06 PM, iacas said:

@WUTiger, please don't listen to what TV announcers have to say about the golf swing.

I don't agree that there are "two types of releases." I don't even think everyone agrees on what a "release" is.

I get confused by the interchanging terms of "release" and "swing" 

i can get how I can swing my arms but not release the club 

I can also get releasing my arms and club together with just turning my body but not swinging 

On 8/20/2017 at 0:13 AM, Grizvok said:

The arms are THE biggest contributor to power in a golf swing.

On 8/20/2017 at 7:07 AM, iacas said:

I tend to agree. And made a video with Dave showing this.

I tend to agree with both of these thoughts. Once I started making a more aggressive move through the ball with my arms, while ignoring my hands entirely, I hit much more solid shots! With better direction and distance, to boot!

I was getting much too passive in my golf swing. You know what happened? I ended up short and crooked! Take a rip at it!

On 8/20/2017 at 8:59 PM, MuniGrit said:

Bradley Hughes has a good video of the two types of releases aka swings.

It's not two types...Release is a dumb term generally(not totally). I have seen the results of the abs snake oil and it's not pretty.

RE body vs arms it was already said but I must reiterate that's all intent and feel.

A good golf swing has everything in a nice synch.  In actual fact the arms contribute a large percent to speed.

If you don't get that find a good pro.  

Bradley Hughes when playing well was very upright.  He teaches from the camp that says the flatter the functional plane the better which is total bollocks.

Some players swing more around the corner than others some are more upright but good players have good swings.  If you have trouble identifying that,  you need a teacher.

You tube is not a teacher.

Edited by Jack Watson

On 8/23/2017 at 7:12 PM, Jack Watson said:

Bradley Hughes when playing well was very upright.  He teaches from the camp that says the flatter the functional plane the better which is total bollocks.

Nick Price, Jack, Norman are all guys Hughes uses to teach. It is FAKE NEWS that he teaches a flat swing. Show me where he teaches a flat swing. He is big on everyone is different based on body type.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

Body vs Arms is a good way to describe many of the swings one sees.  The better the swing - the less conflict is evident.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I do not understand an 'arms only' swing.Guess I agree with those that have said that it is a 'feel' thing.  

My understanding of release - The part of swing after or right at about impact when the trail arm stops thrusting down and out whether deliberately or when its range of motion is physically maxed out. Obviously as fast as things happen in downswing I think it is a fool's errand to try time it deliberately.  

Vishal S.

I have an instructor who tried to get me to not swing with my arms so much. I'm a muscular guy so I'm not very flexible so that is very hard for me. Once I threw that out the window I started hitting much better and lowering my score. He told me I wouldn't get any power with arm swings yet I'm hitting 150 yards with an old 9 iron. 

6 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

e all guys Hughes uses to teach. It is FAKE NEWS that he teaches a flat swing. Show me where he teaches a flat swing. He is big on everyone is different based on body type.

Watch this

First he goes to Hogan.  He's actually trying to say that joe blow has a better chance of emulating Hogan than anything else saying everything else is a throw with too much timing.

Beyond that he says point the club anywhere you want at the top because that doesn't matter.  He says pressures and feels are more important than WHAT THE CLUB IS ACTUALLY DOING!

I am not saying having an open torso at impact is not a good thing but in fact for most joe blows being taught this way they will never achieve it.  I have seen ZERO examples from players in the abs method attaining impact alignments with open torso.

Beyond that,  what matters at impact is one of the keys.

Hogan practiced more than anyone in his era.  He had to because his method was so difficult to execute.  Bradley and others in abs create a huge straw man which they constantly attack which is that swinging upright necessitates a stall throw through the ball.   BUT AND THIS IS RICH,  emulating Hogan will be much EASIER for joe blow.  :pound:

You can't tell me you believe this snake oil marketing strategy.

Finally what point does he make in this almost ten minute long video about swingplane?  I don't see any real point at all just talk of pressures.  I played with Brad Hughes coach at his home course maybe five or six times.  He writes all the time about how stiff his clubs are.  I waggled his driver and was shocked.  Noodle!  

Way softer than my aldila I was using at the time.

Brad had a great swing at one point,  but it was a result of tons of hours of practice with immense natural talent.  Once he got instructions he was done for because he never really had much idea what he was doing!  Many good players are like that and it's why they should not try to teach.

He seems like a great guy I'd love to have a beer with but his knowledge level is NOT modern or correct to what we know.

Since he coached Appleby his ranking has tanked!

Typical you tube snake oil golf.  All mareketing no meat on the bone.  Teaching based on feel in this case is bad juju.

Fwiw I like his online persona seems like a great guy it's just he's filled with mistaken concepts like the heavy hit.

You can find videos of pros clubheads fsnapping off the shaft at impact and they still get 300 in the fw.  Heavy hit is a myth.  Hughes loves to rag current players but I don't see him or anyone he teaches 'showing the new guys how it's done'

snake oil imo 

Edited by Jack Watson

Note: This thread is 2344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!