iacas

The Golf Ball "Problem": PGA Tour Players Hitting it Far is a Problem for All of Golf?

The Golf Ball "Problem"  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Does the distance modern PGA Tour pros hit the ball pose a problem to golf as a whole?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is the main source of the "problem" above?

• The golf ball goes too far, primarily.
    • Several factors all contribute heavily.
    • I voted "No" above, and I don't think there's really a "problem" right now.

551 posts in this topic Last Reply

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

He forgot the use of launch monitors during practice! :-D

Edited by Lihu

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Might be a seperate poll, but even if you dont think this is a problem that needs fixing, would you still use the rollback balls?

24 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Might be a seperate poll, but even if you dont think this is a problem that needs fixing, would you still use the rollback balls?

Only if they were the only option available.   I'd pay extra to keep the current ball instead of a limited flight ball. 

It isn't a problem for me first of all because nothing they do affects my golf in any way. This is like asking if Indy racers affect my daily driving.

In the 1960s, if a major league baseball team had a pitcher of two who threw in the 90s with regularity they were gold. Now, not being able to throw that hard is almost the exception.

Professional golfers hitting it farther than before should be expected, and professional golf needs to adjust to it. Recreational golf on recreational courses is just fine.

http://www.golf.com/equipment/2018/03/13/taylormade-ceo-firmly-opposes-rolling-back-golf-ball-these-movements-will-be-detrimental-game-every

TaylorMade CEO David Abeles put out a strong statement Tuesday, clarifying the company's opposition concerning any potential technology rollback in the wake of a new USGA/R&A report on increased driving distance. The report called the three-yard increase "unusual and concerning" and said that golf ball distance "requires closer inspection and monitoring to fully understand the causes and effects." Abeles disagreed.

"We have meticulously reviewed the USGA and R&A's 2017 Distance Report and discussed its findings with key stakeholders," his statement reads. "Additionally, we have carefully considered the inferred implications that the study may have on the game moving forward. The TaylorMade Golf Company firmly opposes any potential rollback of product performance or bifurcation of the rules in any form as we believe these movements will be detrimental to the game at every level."

1 hour ago, iacas said:

http://www.golf.com/equipment/2018/03/13/taylormade-ceo-firmly-opposes-rolling-back-golf-ball-these-movements-will-be-detrimental-game-every

TaylorMade CEO David Abeles put out a strong statement Tuesday, clarifying the company's opposition concerning any potential technology rollback in the wake of a new USGA/R&A report on increased driving distance. The report called the three-yard increase "unusual and concerning" and said that golf ball distance "requires closer inspection and monitoring to fully understand the causes and effects." Abeles disagreed.

"We have meticulously reviewed the USGA and R&A's 2017 Distance Report and discussed its findings with key stakeholders," his statement reads. "Additionally, we have carefully considered the inferred implications that the study may have on the game moving forward. The TaylorMade Golf Company firmly opposes any potential rollback of product performance or bifurcation of the rules in any form as we believe these movements will be detrimental to the game at every level."

Good

I think at times people forget who pays the bills in the golf industry. It isn't the touring pros but joe blow who needs to buy a driver or new putter every year. The guys who pay the green fees around the country. They guys who buy all the apparel. I think the rollback talk is kind of just something to talk about. I think it would be cool if they did a PGA tournament with persimmons and balata balls during the silly season.

The PGA of America's poll said that of the 7500 professionals that responded, 70% oppose a rollback.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22992057/masters-2018-keep-golfer-playing-augusta

"I'm going to go out on a limb here ... make a standardized golf ball."

"If they designed their own golf ball? They don't get to decide that."

"I wouldn't play if they decided to make their own rules compared to what we play every day out on tour."