IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would love to play again as well. October actually works even better for me.

I would also understand if the event wasn't able to happen because of other stuff going on in everyone's life. 

Either way it was a great time last time and would love to again be a part of it. 

• Upvote 1

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Can anyone who played in the Newport Cup last year comment on what their general cost for the travel/golf was last year?

Travel is whatever it is for you.

The total cost for the lodging/golf last year was, what, $550?

@mvmac and I will exchange as much promotion as I can to bring the rates for the house(s) and golf down to as low as possible. Moon Valley offered us great rates, but we booked the house on our own as they weren't associated with anything.

10 hours ago, mchepp said:

I would also understand if the event wasn't able to happen because of other stuff going on in everyone's life.

I think we can make it work. Looks like a "go" as of right now.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Can anyone who played in the Newport Cup last year comment on what their general cost for the travel/golf was last year?

"Priceless"
Under $600, but I traveled the scenic route, via automobile.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Like everyone else, I had a blast at the 2015 Newport Cup and would love to participate again if my schedule permits. Our family calendar is pretty hectic next year, but by the time the captains start looking at teams, I should have a much better idea of my availability.

12 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Yes, as Erik mentioned the golf/lodging/extracurricular fun was all included in one price and it came out to something very reasonable.  I don't remember the exact number, but something close to $550 like he mentioned is probably right.

All we had to handle above that was travel, food and souvenirs.  We all joined together to rent cars or ride along with one of the people that drove out so those costs were split up pretty well too.  Your flight will be the only other big ticket item.  (Looks like about $400 from Denver to Charlotte ... pretty good deal considering its around $700 for me)

• Administrator

I've added a badge or award to "candidates" for both squads.

Right now the count is 11-7, so you west siders (west of the Mississippi) are already losing! :-D

• Upvote 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just wanted to say this is a really fun event, hope we can get a bunch of people on a "waiting list". I look forward to captaining again, getting the teams together and possibly meeting some new people.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Travel is whatever it is for you.

The total cost for the lodging/golf last year was, what, $550?

@mvmac and I will exchange as much promotion as I can to bring the rates for the house(s) and golf down to as low as possible. Moon Valley offered us great rates, but we booked the house on our own as they weren't associated with anything.

Yep last time we got a sweet deal and we'll do our best to keep it in the same ballpark. 

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

you west siders (west of the Mississippi) are already losing! :-D

So, it's now "OFFICIAL" the SMACK TALK has begun .....  :whistle:

I think I'll go sharpen my "Chip In" skills .....  ;-)

The new award looks great, I'll cherish it forever.....

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I'd love to participate again. @OrangeHog you should consider this. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

5 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I'd love to participate again. @OrangeHog you should consider this. 

I'm going to follow the thread for now but can't commit right now.  I might be out in Palm Springs for a week long tournament in September, so following up that with another golf trip in October might get vetoed by "the boss".  Nevertheless, I'll stay close to this and begin negotiations on the home front.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

I'm interested in playing, but I won't be able to fully commit for a while. The dates actually line up well for me, I think. It's more of a matter of getting the Mrs. to sign off on a golfing weekend :)

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

@OrangeHog, @DeadMan, and any others… If you think there's a decent chance you'll be able to go if chosen and want a Candidate badge/award (it'll help us keep track of this sort of thing), please officially put your hat in the ring as a candidate. You can withdraw later, and you might not be chosen anyway.

If you think the odds are slim that you can play, and don't want to be listed as a candidate, then that's where I've left things for now.

And of course if anything changes to firm up plans for or against, post later on when that happens, too.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

@OrangeHog, @DeadMan, and any others… If you think there's a decent chance you'll be able to go if chosen and want a Candidate badge/award (it'll help us keep track of this sort of thing), please officially put your hat in the ring as a candidate. You can withdraw later, and you might not be chosen anyway.

If you think the odds are slim that you can play, and don't want to be listed as a candidate, then that's where I've left things for now.

And of course if anything changes to firm up plans for or against, post later on when that happens, too.

Got it. I'll declare myself a candidate then.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'll add, to anybody who is on the fence that you should read up about the last one.  If it ends and any portion of your reason for not participating was that you just didn't think it would be any fun, then you're probably going to regret that decision. :) ...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

In that case put me down as a candidate.  I'll keep everyone updated if anything changes.

I read through the thread on the 2015 NC and it looks like you guys had an awesome time!  Now I just need to shave a few strokes off the old handicap. :)

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

My plan was to jump in on this next one....until my wife decided to finish nursing school....dang education...haha. So, I guess I'll wait on 2019. 

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Put me in the hat.  It's a long trip but it may be possible for me.

If SoCal for 2019, Im definitely in for that.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 2349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!