IGNORED

How Often Do You Hit the Sweet Spot? (Deprecated)

Midpack
Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

How about, life is short, what are you waiting for?  Money that goes un-spent is completely wasted!  Why are you sitting around dreaming of having something when you can actually have it?  Grab life by the horns!  The time for enjoyment is NOW. 

Ha!  I appreciate the help.  :beer:

I still can't get past the fact that I'm not a good enough ball-striker to play the damn things though!  :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

How about, life is short, what are you waiting for?  Money that goes un-spent is completely wasted!  Why are you sitting around dreaming of having something when you can actually have it?  Grab life by the horns!  The time for enjoyment is NOW. 

Well you've convinced me, but good luck trying to convince the wife ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Speaking of that ... I hit precisely one ball on the range yesterday with @Pretzel‘s 7 iron (MP-4) and I’ve already begun trying to talk myself into needing a set. :P

Those clubs you KNOW when you hit the sweet spot. Had a perfectly pure 4-iron on Friday afternoon that prompted Erik to ask me whether I needed a change of pants afterwords, but then again I probably was just getting a bit excited in the middle of the competition. If you hit a fair number of shots with them you can see if the penalty for mishits is acceptable to you based on how often and how badly you usually miss.

The sweet spot is definitely a bit different than hitting it solid. Solid is going to feel really nice, and it's going to fly well, but the sweet spot is that ball that usually goes further than you expected. It's the drive you got 15 extra yards on, or the iron shot that flew the pin to land at the back of the green. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Those clubs you KNOW when you hit the sweet spot. Had a perfectly pure 4-iron on Friday afternoon that prompted Erik to ask me whether I needed a change of pants afterwords, but then again I probably was just getting a bit excited in the middle of the competition. If you hit a fair number of shots with them you can see if the penalty for mishits is acceptable to you based on how often and how badly you usually miss.

The sweet spot is definitely a bit different than hitting it solid. Solid is going to feel really nice, and it's going to fly well, but the sweet spot is that ball that usually goes further than you expected. It's the drive you got 15 extra yards on, or the iron shot that flew the pin to land at the back of the green. 

That doesn't seem like it's necessarily a good thing- to unexpectedly fly over your target and land on the back of the green.  It doesn't seem like something you'd want to happen.  That seems like a shot you'd want to avoid. 

Edited by Marty2019

43 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

That doesn't seem like it's necessarily a good thing- to unexpectedly fly over your target and land on the back of the green.  It doesn't seem like something you'd want to happen.  That seems like a shot you'd want to avoid. 

It’s the nature of the game for amateurs.  We don’t hit the sweet spot that often so there is going to be some variation in our distances based on contact.  You account for it how you see fit.  I do it by always trying for the center of the green or thereabouts, giving me the most room for error long and short (and not accidentally, left and right). I can’t remember where I read that advice though.  Oh well. :P

45 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

It's just a shot that you happened to hit perfectly, when you're used to the little imperfections. The difference between sweet spot and solid tends to be larger on GI irons than blades, simply because GI irons are trying to make the clubface as springy as possible while blades generally try to make the clubface as consistent as possible. For my clubs the difference between the perfect and the solid shots is only about 5 yards with my irons, so not a large enough difference usually to cause a missed green unless I tried to attack some tucked pin. For GI irons with a larger COR in the sweet spot the difference between a perfectly centered shot and an almost perfect shot will be a bit larger. It's why many pros prefer to play blades or "players" irons, since they're designed to be more consistent.

• Like 1

As a higher handicap I would be guessing at shots off the sweet spot.  There usually 3-4 shots per round that I know I had a real good swing for my level.  The majority are usually within my typical range for the club and are decent.  There are about 5 - 10 bad swings (including pitches and chips) that can cost me 10-12 shots.  I normally hit my driver 210 - 220 (carry and roll) on a good swing, but every 2 or 3 rounds I just nut one 240+.  Maybe the sweet spot, maybe better mechanics, I am not sure.  

If hitting the sweet spot is defined as the equatorial center of the ball hitting the dead center of the club-face then, honestly I have no idea and I cannot even take even an educated guess but I would imagine it would be very very low.

I do know my strikes favor the toe mostly. 

Vishal S.

Way less than half the time. Every time I hit the sweet spot I hit it too long, I club for the slight mishit on the toe! :-P

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

9 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Way less than half the time. Every time I hit the sweet spot I hit it too long, I club for the slight mishit on the toe! :-P

Definitely. It's a real stunner when the old 7I flies 15 yards over the green.

This thread has really gone off the rails.   While the OP may have said sweet spot, it's obviously not what he meant.   Obviously, he was referring to center(ish) face, solid strikes.   notice in hit graph, there is no category for center-face just off the sweetspot.  all he really wants to track is how often he is putting good contact on the ball, and how that number compares to others around here.   

I'd say I put solid contact on the ball about 70% with my 8, 9, PW.   maybe 30% of the time with my 4, and 5.    6, and 7 vary between those two depending on how well I'm swinging that day.  

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

54 minutes ago, lastings said:

This thread has really gone off the rails.   While the OP may have said sweet spot, it's obviously not what he meant.   Obviously, he was referring to center(ish) face, solid strikes.   notice in hit graph, there is no category for center-face just off the sweetspot.  all he really wants to track is how often he is putting good contact on the ball, and how that number compares to others around here.   

I'd say I put solid contact on the ball about 70% with my 8, 9, PW.   maybe 30% of the time with my 4, and 5.    6, and 7 vary between those two depending on how well I'm swinging that day.  

Sweet spot is defined pretty well:

The sweet spot is a specific area of the clubface, found within the perimeter defined by the grooves. It represents the precise area where the golf ball should be hit for optimal results. Highly skilled golfers will be able to hit the ball within the sweetspot consistently whereas average ones will struggle to.

https://www.golf-terms.com/definitions/club-parts/sweet-spot#definition

Also, it doesn't really mean a whole lot unless the swing path and face angle at impact are correct as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Sweet spot is defined pretty well:

https://www.golf-terms.com/definitions/club-parts/sweet-spot#definition

Also, it doesn't really mean a whole lot unless the swing path and face angle at impact are correct as well.

" Highly skilled golfers will be able to hit the ball within the sweetspot consistently whereas average ones will struggle to. "

So how would one define "consistently?"  Because we have highly skilled golfers in this thread saying they hit the sweet spot less than 10% of the time.   I would define "consistently" as "more than half the time." 

Just now, Marty2019 said:

" Highly skilled golfers will be able to hit the ball within the sweetspot consistently whereas average ones will struggle to. "

So how would one define "consistently?"  Because we have highly skilled golfers in this thread saying they hit the sweet spot less than 10% of the time.   I would define "consistently" as "more than half the time." 

Depends how you define "Highly skilled", I suppose? That might be just a semantics issue?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Wait..you shank the ball 72% of the time? Wut? :-$

The wear pattern on my irons and hybrids tend to be darkest very slightly towards the heel. Thats not center contact per sea, but i never have the feeling that i mishit the ball. 

so...   Do we think we are doing a better job of answering the OP's questions by arguing over semantics, trying to understand his intent and moving forward? 

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

9 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Wait..you shank the ball 72% of the time? Wut? :-$

The wear pattern on my irons and hybrids tend to be darkest very slightly towards the heel. Thats not center contact per sea, but i never have the feeling that i mishit the ball. 

Yeah, the colors match way too close between a "perfect shot" and a "shank". :-D

7 minutes ago, lastings said:

so...   Do we think we are doing a better job of answering the OP's questions by arguing over semantics, trying to understand his intent and moving forward? 

Perhaps, it's possibly better for the OP to just ask one of the mods to change the title to something like "How often do you hit the ball solid enough to consider it a good shot?" rather than sticking with his own definition of "Hitting the sweet spot".

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, the colors match way too close between a "perfect shot" and a "shank". :-D

Perhaps, it's possibly better for the OP to just ask one of the mods to change the title to something like "How often do you hit the ball solid enough to consider it a good shot?" rather than sticking with his own definition of "Hitting the sweet spot".

Oh ok. I notice that now. 

Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!