IGNORED

How Often Do You Hit the Sweet Spot? (Deprecated)

Midpack
Note: This thread is 2373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I won’t do it forever, but having just resumed golf, I’ve been keeping track of a lot of data this year. I’m sure many here would be horrified at my “sweet spot profile,” but at my age/ability/vision I assume I’ll never hit the sweet spot almost all the time like many here can. I was honestly guessing I’m about 50/50, turns out it’s a little better. I knew my most common mishits were thin and toe, but not as frequent as I guessed. Might be helpful when I go to pick new irons. This data is all my on course full swing irons only, not woods/metals, hybrids or practice sessions. And yes, it’s easier for me to hit center on shorter, more lofted clubs than long irons like most/all.

2775D9A1-225E-4EF2-9137-861E0854CC40.jpeg

Edited by Midpack

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never tracked it before. It would be interesting to see the results. I would guess mostly center with the distribution more skewed towards the toe.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would guess I hit the exact sweet spot 1 out of 10 times.   Meaning, it feels like a really solid center hit, I don't feel the club face twist even slightly and the ball flies exactly like it's supposed to.  Hitting the sweet spot with my driver is one of the greatest pleasures in life.  But, like I said, it only happens about 1 out of 10 times. 

Two days ago, I hit a 9 iron on a par 3 exactly on the sweet spot and the ball flew high and straight and stopped 6 feet from the pin.  Right when it left the club, I said to the guy I was playing with, "That's a great shot."  What a great feeling that is. 

Edited by Marty2019

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

Two days ago, I hit a 9 iron on a par 3 exactly on the sweet spot and the ball flew high and straight and stopped 6 feet from the pin.  Right when it left the club, I said to the guy I was playing with, "That's a great shot."  What a great feeling that is. 

+1. When I pure an iron the only thing I think (sometimes say) is “be right” (distance) - they usually are. Or watching a drive come off the club face long and spitting the fairway. Never get tired of those shots, it’s why many of us play the game isn’t it? To come back and have those shots again!

Edited by Midpack
  • Like 1

Not very often, but close enough to keep the next shot playable.......most of the time. When I do, it feels effortless. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

100% :-P

Seriously, I feel like I've always been pretty good at getting good contact consistently, and have had other quality golfers compliment me on that.  I've got many problems as a golfer but I don't think that's one of them.  Note of course this is all relative to handicap.  I'm not claiming I get wear spots like those from the PGA tour players you see that are the size of a nickel.  Like @saevel25, I'd bet my distribution is pretty heavy near the center but with the misses definitely skewed out towards the toe.  When I have an obvious mishit on the course it's pretty much always off the toe.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator

No you don’t @Midpack.

I just asked everyone at the Newport Cup and the average was about 6% for those here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Dead center?  One in 10? Maybe.  Probably less...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I pure one per round if I'm lucky. Mostly I hit them towards the toe and thin them every now and then.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I hit the sweet spot by accident now and then.

IMG_0085.thumb.JPG.d91dca1da1311869923cb9aa18a9d2b4.JPG

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Hit it?  Hell, I first have to find it. Darned thing keeps moving around.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

22 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I hit the sweet spot itself maybe 5-10% of the time. I hit a reasonably solid and centered shot probably 75% of the time. 

This.  (Now that I think about it). I’m not at 75% like you (stud) but I’d say I’m hitting centered shots maybe 50-60% and flushed a lot lower...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

95 percent of my shots 'feel' good but centered up flush exactly on the sweet spot?  Dunno.  I use gi irons'for the most part these days and if thy feel bad it's a horrible mishit.

I do know my distances on irons are quite repeatable.

Truly sweet?  I just don't know.  I have more feel on blades and persimmons....Gi clubs always feel good that's why I use them.

Note: This thread is 2373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!