IGNORED

For the first time, I'm 100% content with my clubs ... if you are too, whats your setup ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

couple changes, and I am as content as I can be...     for now.  

:titleist: - Driver - 915 D3 - 10.5 degree
:callaway: - Hybrid - Alpha 815
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 52 degree
:cleveland: - 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I am almost there, I use an old Cobra S3Max driver to overcome a fade (I don't slice anymore) but I hit more fairways with it. I am thinking of the new Cobra Max offset as a replacement but I'm not sure what I will gain? I have four other drivers but I don't hit them as well as my S3. The offset does help me.

Irons - Ping G25s

Wedges - Fourteen 52* and Ping G25 Sand wedge

Cobra hybrids - 25* and a 22*

Cobra 5 and 3 FW

Cobra S3Max driver as stated above.

I've dialed in my distances with each club so I'm good.

My issue is that I am 66 years old and have had three back surgeries so I don't swing like I use to, I lack distance, e.g., my 7 iron only goes like 140 yards, I think I should be getting more but that is me, not the iron.

Likewise, almost there! Just the putter that I could see changing at some point to an Edel, but I don't think it'll be for a couple of years yet. Currently:

Driver - Callaway GBB Epic 10.5
3 Wood - Titleist 915F 16.5
3 hybrid - Titleist 816H2 21

Irons - (3), 4-AW - Callaway Apex Pro, Project X Stiff, 6.0

Wedges - 56*, 60* - Edel Trapper

Putter - SeeMore FGP Mallet

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Honestly, the clubs are perfect, but not my ball striking. :-(

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

After quite a few years on tinkering I think I have finally settled on my clubs. It's taken a lot of experimenting to find what works for me but here it is

Driver, callaway big Bertha alpha

3 wood, big Bertha alpha 815

Hybrid, Titleist 913hd 18*

Mizuno MP fli hi/Adams idea pro 23*. I swap out either 4 iron or hybrid depending on course, weather or just how I'm feeling that day.

Irons, mizuno MP 57 5-pw

Wedges, cobra trusty rusty 51/55/61

Putter, odyssey white hot xg #7

Ball, Titleist dt trusoft 

Only club under threat is the putter as I haven't had it long and it has to live up to my old really beat up Scotty red X putter.

Really happy with my set up 

I’m very happy with my clubs. Since 2015 I have revamped my entire bag twice, and I’ve come to the realization that I can hit anything if I like looking down at it. Right now my focus for 2018 is entirely on getting my swing better. @DaveP043 has had the same titleist driver since I met him 3 years ago and he still hits that baby draw right in the middle of the fairway. Buying clubs is fun but I’m very content with what I’m playing in the bag right now. Maybe, next fall I’ll be looking at new irons just because my current set is getting a lot of use....maybe. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

3 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I’m very happy with my clubs. Since 2015 I have revamped my entire bag twice, and I’ve come to the realization that I can hit anything if I like looking down at it. Right now my focus for 2018 is entirely on getting my swing better. @DaveP043 has had the same titleist driver since I met him 3 years ago and he still hits that baby draw right in the middle of the fairway. Buying clubs is fun but I’m very content with what I’m playing in the bag right now. Maybe, next fall I’ll be looking at new irons just because my current set is getting a lot of use....maybe. 

I think I've had all of those clubs since before the first time we met, although maybe I got my 3-wood and hybrid just afterwards.  I did get to try the 917 driver one day, when I had a shaft issue with my own driver, and it just wasn't different enough to sink $500 into it.  

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I think I've had all of those clubs since before the first time we met, although maybe I got my 3-wood and hybrid just afterwards.  I did get to try the 917 driver one day, when I had a shaft issue with my own driver, and it just wasn't different enough to sink $500 into it.  

I will say I’ve noticed significant distance increases with the Taylormade and PXG foam injected clubs. I hit my new P790 3 iron pretty dang far. Just can’t justify the price, even though the Taylormade are $165 a club. 

Edited by kpaulhus

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

1 minute ago, kpaulhus said:

I will say I’ve noticed significant distance increases with the Taylormade and PXG foam injected clubs. I hit my new P790 3 iron pretty dang far. 

Any straighter?:-P

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Any straighter?:-P

Only when I swing slowly 

Kyle Paulhus

To the OP:

I am not sure if it is the same but I believe you just said something similar to,"I have figured out my swing".  After that sentence is put forth nothing good happens.

Edited by inthecup

I have been happy with my bag for the last 6-8  months and do not plan of any changes for a while . ( the next 3-4 years )    I only have  1 wood and 2 other putters to mix in and out any way.

I'm getting there, my bag is always work in progress.

I just ordered new woods last week. I Played the Mizuno JPX 825 woods.

I should be done for the upcoming season. 

I will play this:

Woods:

Titleist 917 D3 with Aldila ROGUE MAX 65 Stiff  0,75" shorter, on a D4 setting with 12 gram fade

Titleist 917 F2 with Aldila ROGUE MAX 75 Stiff 0,5" shorter, with the same setting as driver

Titleist 818 H1 19degrees Aldila ROGUE MAX 90 Stiff with the same setting

Irons:

3 iron to PW

Mizuno MP59 with KBS Tour Stiff shafts 

Wedges:

Mizuno MP T7 Blue IP with KBS Tour Stiff shafts lofts 52 and 58

Putter:

Taylormade Ghost 770 Tour putter

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

hups..   just looked at my last post and see a mistake...  

:titleist: - Driver - 915 D3 - 10.5 degree

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:cleveland: - rtx 588 50 degree, 54 degree (bent to 53 degrees)
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

still room for 1 more club.  Also, I don't take that hybrid out of my bag.   ever.   for any reason.   So, that should probably be replaced.  

almost perfect..  just gotta figure out that top end.   maybe a 3-wood and learn how to hit a 3-iron or 2-iron off the tee.   (i'm hitting the 4-iron quite well, so i'd guess I'd be comfortable with a 2 off the tee by mid-summer if I work hard.)   Unless I can figure out how to consistently get 20 more yards out of my Driver, I have no idea what I'm gonna do with a 3-wood.   but, I gotta fill the bag with something. 

check out my swing here

• 1 month later...

I would honestly just say look at my signature, however that wouldn't explain the why.

Driver: :touredge: Exotics EX10 Driver fitted with a Project X HZDRUS Yellow 65 6.0 shaft set at Neutral with a 10 degree head playing at 44". Now most of you who have seen me post know that I'm 6'5" so if you go by static fitting I actually would need a 45.5" driver. However, I have a reason for going shorter. I have enough distance, I'm looking for consistency. If I nut it with a 44" driver, I might lose a couple yards to nutting it with a 45.5" driver. However, I am going to catch it solid more often... So their are more benefits going with the old standard length. Don't worry, I had weight added to the head to retain the swingweight (it's a little low around D1-D2).

4-wood: :touredge: Exotics CBX with the same shaft as the driver, except it plays at 42". The winner on the PGA Tour Champions Chubb Classic, played this exact model, Just in a 3-wood loft... I like the look, I like the trajectory, and damn it I hit it well, when I was fit.

Hybrid: :touredge: Exotics CBX 20 degree (I'd do the degree sign, but alt + 248 refreshes the page). Fitted with a Project X Black 85 in 5.5. Yes, you read that correctly, regular flex... Why does a guy with a lot of leverage swing a regular flex hybrid? I average around 104 clubhead speed, If I step on it, I can get 110, but I just don't want to. I actually swing my driver more at 100 than I do at 110, but I hit it plenty far enough. I've lost some flexibility and I have a bad back, that's why the 5.5 vs 6.0

Irons (3-PW): :touredge: CBX Blades with True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT in R300. Okay, I'm a 6.7 handicap, I can handle a blade, I'm an Exotics guy and they finally made a blade... so that's why... I will say this the blade length on my CBX's vs EXi's  the EXI looks huge in comparison... I mean it isn't close... though I knew this coming in... I have a set of Tour Edge V-Blades that are 18 years old... and the profile is very similar.  Though the V-Blade Forged isn't necessarily a "blade". So I do know what to expect as far as blade length... These clubs are not very forgiving... However if you're pretty close on strike, your not punished so badly as the clubs from say the 1950s

Wedges (52, 56, 60) :touredge: CBX Blade with True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex shafts. Why? Same weight as my PW shaft. These set up a little better than their predecessor the CB Pro S. Let me tell you, why. I seemed that for what ever reason most of the bounce was toward the heel in the Pro S... where in the CBX Blade wedge, you can use more parts of the bounce... (I actually can hit somewhat full shots with these). I hit some shots around the "green" with Craig when he fitted them.... I like the action, I like the check, and you can feel a good shot...

Putter: :touredge: Exotics David Glod Series v2.3 35" standard grip.... I have a 1.3 now with a SuperStroke... I use a variation of the claw grip to help me hole putts, and I hate the SuperStroke for the claw. It's too damn big. I'm sticking with the standard grip and going from their. The putter is currently 35", I haven't gotten yet, but we're going to add an inch to it when it comes probably putt a normal oversize grip on it... something like a Winn Pistol or something..

I have Lamkin Black UTX standard grips on my irons and driver with 8 wraps of tape. My wedges, hybrid, and 4-wood have Lamkin Z5 standard black grips with 8 wraps of tape, so basically I'm +1/8" oversize on grips.

My driver like I said is 44", 4-wood 42", hybrid I think is 40", my irons are +3/4" so my 5-iron is 38.50", My lie angles in my irons and wedges are 2 degrees upright from the standard so my 5-iron lie angle is 63 degrees my pitching wedge is 65 degrees but my 52, 56, and 60 degree wedges are all 66 degree lie angles.

@iacas, could you please figure out why Alt + 248 doesn't work for the degree symbol on a computer? Unless their is a shortcut for .html that I don't know about. Shane

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

another change....     honestly, I probably don't belong in this thread.  this is probably never going to stop.  

:tmade:  - M3 Driver 10.5 degree- Fukijara Pro 53 stiff flex shaft

:cleveland: - rtx 588 50 degree, 54 degree (bent to 53 degrees)

check out my swing here

10 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@iacas, could you please figure out why Alt + 248 doesn't work for the degree symbol on a computer? Unless their is a shortcut for .html that I don't know about. Shane

I use alt+0186 to get º symbol.. It depends upon your font.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!