IGNORED

Home exercise equipment

Ty_Webb
Note: This thread is 2056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

Doing even regular push-ups on Dumbbells I prefer because of the wrist position...it actually seems easier.  My trainer suggested it to me.  All your weights not on your hands.  I'll have to try to send u the video someone took of me  doing push-ups suspended on 4 med balls.

That's impressive! I have some push up stands somewhere. Need to dig them out. 

Like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes Ty, that's it!  Push up stands are great, have them at home.  At The gym I use the dumbbells.  TRX  I never tried.  We have rings attached to our rig to do rows if u have trouble with pull ups.

On 06/01/2018 at 5:29 PM, Ty_Webb said:

Like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

This isn't as bad as it seems if the balls are small enough (as in this picture).  We do pushups on two exercise balls (the big bouncy ones) - it REALLY makes you tighten up the core during the work.  Tried for a LONG time to do them on 4 of those - it's very hard.  We named it "water bug" pushups.

As for the OP - I've run the gambit of gear until I ran into P90X.  I sold everything (full weight set, etc) in replacement for a yoga mat, dumbbells, pullup rack, and pushup stands.  Since the pullups were too much for my wife, she also has a full set of resistance bands  Did that for 18  months with incredible results.  I have my own workouts now, but the vids were a good intro to all that.  I now also have added a cardio machine for lazy days (the ProForm HIIT) and it seems to be a great setup.  I built homemade 'parallettes' for core work and got very quick results, but I lost interest pretty fast as I'm not very flexible and that's a big help for gymnastics type workouts like parallettes are made for.

Big fan of dumbbells over all the other weight gear.  I'd probably like kettlebells too.  you get resistance, but stabilizer muscles get more twitches.

My favorite was the more physical type of yoga - it works everything very much.  Those I trade that for rock climbing most of time nowadays.

The short of it is this is a much simpler and cheaper setup than anyone would think they need.  Because you can do a ton with body weight, dumbbells, and intensity of workout.

I haven't explored apps and subscriptions to on-line workouts, but that seems to be gaining popularity and might help with motivation.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

4 hours ago, rehmwa said:

This isn't as bad as it seems if the balls are small enough (as in this picture).  We do pushups on two exercise balls (the big bouncy ones) - it REALLY makes you tighten up the core during the work.  Tried for a LONG time to do them on 4 of those - it's very hard.  We named it "water bug" pushups.

As for the OP - I've run the gambit of gear until I ran into P90X.  I sold everything (full weight set, etc) in replacement for a yoga mat, dumbbells, pullup rack, and pushup stands.  Since the pullups were too much for my wife, she also has a full set of resistance bands  Did that for 18  months with incredible results.  I have my own workouts now, but the vids were a good intro to all that.  I now also have added a cardio machine for lazy days (the ProForm HIIT) and it seems to be a great setup.  I built homemade 'parallettes' for core work and got very quick results, but I lost interest pretty fast as I'm not very flexible and that's a big help for gymnastics type workouts like parallettes are made for.

Big fan of dumbbells over all the other weight gear.  I'd probably like kettlebells too.  you get resistance, but stabilizer muscles get more twitches.

My favorite was the more physical type of yoga - it works everything very much.  Those I trade that for rock climbing most of time nowadays.

The short of it is this is a much simpler and cheaper setup than anyone would think they need.  Because you can do a ton with body weight, dumbbells, and intensity of workout.

I haven't explored apps and subscriptions to on-line workouts, but that seems to be gaining popularity and might help with motivation.

you got it

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 6:29 PM, Ty_Webb said:

Like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

That actually looks kind of dangerous.  I'm not sure I would try that. 

FWIW, I have a stationary bike and a set of adjustable dumbells: PowerBlocks. I started doing a program at the beginning of the month (not a New Years thing, but the program is broken up into months and I was travelling most of December so I couldn't start then). They've been working very well.

One small downside is I cant really wear my Apple Watch while lifting because it gets in the way of the PowerBlocks, so I don't get to count any of the calories I burn while doing the program. There's no weight lifting workout on the Watch anyway, but I suppose I could use the "Other" workout (with a different set of weights).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 2 months later...

Buying my own power rack was a game changer.  I got a Titan fitness power rack which was much cheaper than a Rogue rack.  You can get safety spotter arms for benching and squatting.  Also the superspeed sticks + radar are awesome.  The rack has a pullup bar on it naturally.  Maybe a yoga mat and good youtube video for flexibility.  For cardio, you could check out "Insanity" or go for a run or do your own thing.  Maybe Martial arts, climbing, etc.

• 1 month later...

As per I understand your query that you need Exercise equipment in your basement and you the only one doing the workout right. You also mention that you have dumbles and mat. If you want to lose weight and build muscle then you have some choice that you can do by yourself. Just buy the machine that gives you the feasibility of pullover, chest, shoulder etc.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

As previously mentioned by several posters -- Concept 2 Rower is the best full-bodied workout (aerobic + anaerobic together: 30-40 minutes, 6 days per week); you won't find better cardio than indoor rowing (all things considered...)

It is, by far, the best $900 I've ever spent on any piece of exercise equipment, especially since Wifey rows as well

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, dano0726 said:

As previously mentioned by several posters -- Concept 2 Rower is the best full-bodied workout (aerobic + anaerobic together: 30-40 minutes, 6 days per week); you won't find better cardio than indoor rowing (all things considered...)

It is, by far, the best $900 I've ever spent on any piece of exercise equipment, especially since Wifey rows as well

Another vote for rowing in general and Concept2 in particular.  Lots of muscle mass engaged, using a wide range of motion, with low impact.  I find high-intensity intervals much less boring than low-intensity steady-state.

My current routine is a 4-minute warm-up,  a number of two-minute intervals consisting of 40 seconds high intensity/ 1:20 low intensity, then a cool-down. Obvious tweaks can be made in number of intervals, length of interval, HI/LI ratios, etc. 

1.8+ million meters and counting... 

I have a C2 rower at home as well. Very good piece of equipment. Just did a 2k row test yesterday.

OP, don't overlook the power of bands either. You can do SO many exercises with bands and they are much cheaper than DBs or KBs.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

On 1/26/2018 at 5:24 AM, Marty2019 said:

That actually looks kind of dangerous.  I'm not sure I would try that. 

I missed this in January.  (and I don't know your fitness level or age).  But this comment makes me sad to read.  Stepping out of comfort zones and trying to do things that look neat add a lot to our experience.  And, I've done this and it's pretty easy, and if you slip, it's like a 4 inch fall, usually on a indoor/outdoor carpet.

Bill - 

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Stepping out of comfort zones and trying to do things that look neat add a lot to our experience.

That kind of reminds me of back when I was working out, my goal was to stand on a stability ball. Never did get there.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

While we were still in snow country we wanted to workout and not be inside just sitting on the couch watching TV all winter and bought a Total Gym.  It has been great. 

Can find tons of workouts on YouTube for strength building or weight loss or whatever you are looking for.  

OK...… Let the Chuck Norris joke begin. 🙂

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Note: This thread is 2056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!