IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

On 3/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, tehuti said:

I got my first hole-in- one today. Par 3 first hole, Birch Hills GC.

4B9D8106-15FD-4045-8A86-6B65194EE2D1.jpeg

30225D9A-12A4-42FF-B8FC-551BF30BBC56.jpeg

Congrats!!

• Thumbs Up 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can play again! Last November I tore a bicep tendon (didn’t realize it at the time).  I tried to play a couple days after it happened, I hit an iron on the 2nd hole and hit the ground like I was shot lol. Like most guys I told myself it would get better if I left it alone but of course it didn’t. Fast forward to the third week of December when I finally had it diagnosed and had surgery to reattach the tendon.  Well, Sunday will be my first full 18 in four months! I’ve been out there messing around with the wedge and putter and two weeks ago I (played) 18 but I moved the ball out of any heavy rough and bunkers.

I have my last visit with the surgeon today and my first official round on Sunday. I’m sure it won’t be pretty and you know what? I don’t care! I get a day on the course with my son and that’s what matters.

Edited by jetsknicks1
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

35 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I have my last visit with the surgeon today and my first official round on Sunday. I’m sure it won’t be pretty and you know what? I don’t care! I get a day on the course with my son and that’s what matters.

Wonderful! Went through a time from October '17 to about April '18 when I couldn't play golf; then the injury flared up again a couple of times since then. I haven't fully recovered my HC, but the courses are so much more beautiful when you go back after an enforced absence. Wonderful! Thanks for reminding me! Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 2 weeks later...

Took my 5yr old son for his first taste of a real golf course on Saturday.

We played a local 9 hole course, i played tee to green and he chipped, putted (drained a 20 footer then told me to "follow that Dad!") and loved getting the ball out of the bunkers (SW from greenside bunker to 10ft!!). Never thought i'd see someone so happy to be in a bunker!!

He loved it, I played really well and we cant wait to get out again. Next time he wants his driver as the 3 tee shots he hit with his little 7 iron were fun to watch.

All in all the best afternoon of golf i've ever had.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Outing in Atlanta. Knocked 20 strokes off my 3-day score from last year and won closest to the hole on a tough par-3 over water. 

Feeling good about my game.  

Edited by gjunkie57

Happy times today! Decided that the 2 iron will stay in the bag!

Titleist 681 TT DG X100: 2 (2° weak) 4-9

Some Vokey SM wedges: 49°, 55°, 59° (bent 1°)

Callaway XR Pro 1w+3w/Titleist 975D

I had a very good round with my short game the other day. That was nice. Around the greens, I'm usually pretty good, but everything seemed to click with my SW and putter. Of course, the overall score wasn't great, but that wasn't because of the short game (irons and driver were very inconsistent). 

I'm starting to really enjoy this game. My last two rounds have been 81 & 82 (18) at this little executive course near my house (par 62 --- 66 /107 ratings; my regulation course is 69.1 / 124 from the tees I play) for 18; so like this is averaging out to be mid 90's at a regulation course). My short game has really been outstanding; good, consistent chipping and two putting. 

Also, I'm just madly in love with my Ping Eye 2 irons! 

A buddy of mine gave me a Bobby Jones 460cc black driver today and I played absolutely great with it! Highlight of today's round, however, was a beautiful 3 wood onto a par 3 that landed about 7-8 feet from the hole. There must have been a closest to the pin challenge earlier in the morning, because a marker was out there. My shot would have won it today had I been there to play in it 🙂

Overall, really solid round. Still some inconsistencies with iron play, but it's getting the better (the last three holes were really good with my 6, 7, 8, and W). 

• 3 weeks later...

Played yesterday.  On my way to a sub 90 round then it rained buckets.  

Driver was good.  Only one OB shot. Everything else was stress free. 

Then it rained😫 I felt like the Bishop in Caddyshack. 

it feels immodest of me to post this but i want to share something that's recently given me some much-needed joy. after hitting only irons for a while i recently put an old 3-wood in my bag. it took a few range sessions and some lead tape to get comfortable with the club but now i'm crushing it. today well-hit range balls were carrying 250y-260y uphill and into the wind and toey mishits would carry 230y-240y. i'm really happy about this and hope to continue improving!

Edited by hoselpalooza
some words

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

8 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

i want to share something that's recently given me some much-needed joy.

That is what this thread is about, I think. Golf can bring a player to heights of joy. Reminds me that in life there are struggles but there also are transcendent moments where I rise outside of myself. Best, -Marv (aka Shivas)

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I have an early morning routine, every day that involves something to do with my golf game. 

I wake up at 5:00 am everyday. It's a life long habit that I really don't care to stop doing. 

By 5:30 am, I am out walking with my two dogs, Mik & Moose. The walk consists of about a mile or so, with various elevation changes. This for mine, and my boys legs/hips health.  

By 6:30 am, weather permitting, I am heading to, or already at one of the two golf courses that are about 3 miles away. Most days I drive, but there have been a few occassions folks have taken a double look at some old guy, pushing his trolley full of golf clubs down a city street. 

By 9:00 am I have usually  finished my practice for that day, and probably having breakfast with a fellow golfer, or two in the 19th hole. It is here where I decide if I am going to play 9/18 holes that day. For quite a while now, I have been averaging more than 45 holes of play, per week. With play, practice, and putting, I am guessing I am probably around 500-600 strokes a week. 

I have a list of 11 practice routines I rotate through. Each routine involves specific shot(s). These routines keep my game current, and consistent. I am not a mirror, or position kind of guy. I no longer seekbout instruction from others.  I practice actual shots. Shots that I will, or might encounter when playing. I want to see the results of my practices, while practicing. I am a firm believer if my practices are good, then my playing for a score will be equally good.......most of the time. 

I am also not one to try and introduce new things to my swing. Well, not too many things. My swing is roughly 40 years old. It has served me well for a long time now. 

Most of my playing is done Mondays through Thursdays. I prefer to stay out of the way of the weekend warriors. However, if a round presents itself, weekend plays are not off limits. 

My better half, who has labled me an addicted "golf junkie" approves of my daily golf practice/play routines. Just as long as I keep some of my afternoons/evenings free for other things. Especially those things that might involve family stuff. She knows why golf is important to me. She likes the exercise part of it for me. During her own working career, she saw far too many patients, who gave up a fit life style for an unhealthy, lazy one. 

Golf and other physical endeavors have helped keep my old age issues some what slowed down. That's the serious part of golf for me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I shot a decent 37 on my home 9 hole par 29 course this morning. No really bad shots, even though I still double bogeyed the only 2 par 4 holes. But I also got 2 pars and a birdie on #9, capping it off with a long putt. So life is good.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is the place for this, but it's not about my game, it's about the strange hold that this game can have on us. I was able to get out to the range a couple of days ago. I'm taking my time through a small bucket when an elderly gentleman pulls in. Listen to me, elderly! I'm 66. What I noticed about this guy was that he had a sleeve on his left knee, and he could barely walk! But he set up his bag, got his bucket of balls, then set up a lawn chair at his station. 

There were times I thought the man might go down after he took a swing! He never did, but it was close a couple of times. I got a little distracted because I started keeping an eye on the guy in case he did need assistance, but he never did. He'd hit 5-6 balls and go sit in his lawn chair. Then he'd get up again and hit 5-6 more. 

I have to say that that guy impressed me! He could barely move, but there he was practicing his game!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I guess this is the place for this, but it's not about my game, it's about the strange hold that this game can have on us.

I will think of your story next time I feel I am too tired after work to even get in five minutes of practice in my lovely indoor golf room.  I hope it will motivate me to practice more.  Thank you for sharing it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Playing in the rain and the wind is hard for anyone, but when you are senior just the walking from the cart path to your ball is sheer torture. I don't know how many have played Oglebay, but my God walking to the elevated greens in dry conditions is tough.

My home course is a smaller version of Oglebay and this morning I awoke to a tortured body. There isn't a joint in my body that doesn't ache. WAH!! Please no cheese with my whine.

Still all in all shot 78 so I'm ok with that.

Alpha V5 9.0 XStiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 13* Stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 19* Hybrid Stiff
Cleveland CG Red Irons 4-PW Stiff
Merit Golf 52* StiffCleveland 900 series 56* & 60* RegScotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant"I hit 2 good balls today, I stepped on a rake."