IGNORED

2018 Honda Classic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger Woods will __________ the cut at the 2018 Honda Classic? (Fill in the Blank)

• make
    • miss

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, ajwk1967 said:

As the commentator a pga pro said during his first round he has so much speed he should hit more three woods and irons from the tee use the driver sparingly and see how that works?

I don't think he's willing to do that.

That would be like "playing to make the cut" instead of "playing to win." I don't think Tiger Woods plays "to make the cut."

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After the last week's performance, I am not sure how well he will do.  I am hoping something "clicks" or that he works out the driver problem before the tournament starts.

Unfortunately, with Tiger of present, it seems to be a crap shoot.  I just hope he gets a lot of tournament reps before April.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Before the Genesis, he said he had things figured out with his driver by putting the older shaft in.  I say he misses the cut again.  Sure, he could have it figured out by next week for a few holes or a round, but I don't see it happening.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think he's willing to do that.

That would be like "playing to make the cut" instead of "playing to win." I don't think Tiger Woods plays "to make the cut."

You can't win from the rough and at the moment he can't consistently hit the fairway with the tee with Driver. Didn't he win the open at Royal Liverpool without hitting Driver in the last round if memory serves?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, ajwk1967 said:

You can't win from the rough…

Sure you can. You can't win from WAY into the rough, though.

6 minutes ago, ajwk1967 said:

Didn't he win the open at Royal Liverpool without hitting Driver in the last round if memory serves?

He hit it once the entire tournament.

The British Open is not the Honda Classic, though, my man.

Tiger wants to play "the right way." And these events, while important, are not as important to him as one in April, one in June, one in July, and one in August.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think you have successfully argued with your own position well done. He wants to compete at majors where depending on the courses he may not need to hit Drivers certainly not on tight holes and therefore in the lead up to these events he has to thrash his driver all over the place?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, ajwk1967 said:

I think you have successfully argued with your own position well done. He wants to compete at majors where depending on the courses he may not need to hit Drivers

I didn't argue against my own position.

That setup, that year at Hoylake, was a different beast altogether.

To compete in the majors - particularly at Augusta National - he will need to be able to hit and trust the driver.

1 minute ago, ajwk1967 said:

I think you have successfully argued with your own position well done. He wants to compete at majors where depending on the courses he may not need to hit Drivers certainly not on tight holes and therefore in the lead up to these events he has to thrash his driver all over the place?

That's not what he said. Nobody can win at Augusta or the US Open or the PGA without the driver clicking. And that win at Carnoustie (I think?) was very unusual. It also required that he flush his mid & long irons like only he can (or could).

So here's the story behind the timing of Woods' commitment to the tournament.

Apparently, he committed to the Tour before he teed off, but he asked them to delay announcing it until 5 p.m.”

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports/golf/2018/02/19/tiger-effect-expected-felt-honda-classic/351495002/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've got a feeling he's gonna surprise people this week. Nobody will be going low here, and Tiger knows that. He might think it's possible to pull off one of those Nicklaus style (in front of Jack, no less} wins, where he knows par is good, and he just needs to be at it or 1-2 under come Sunday morning to be in contention. Put him in that spot, get the fires burning, and who knows? I actually think this week sets up really well for him.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

I'm going to guess this is the week Tiger pulls it together, is in contention and finishes with a top 10, maybe 5.

You might ask "Wally, what has changed? I thought you were a I'll have to see it to believe it guy!"

Here is the big change that will put Tiger back on the leaderboard .....

I'm not picking him for my fantasy team this week

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

Tiger will tee off at 7:45 AM on Thursday, playing with Brandt Snedeker and Patton Kizzire.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On 2/19/2018 at 1:33 PM, Yukari said:

After the last week's performance, I am not sure how well he will do.  I am hoping something "clicks" or that he works out the driver problem before the tournament starts.

Unfortunately, with Tiger of present, it seems to be a crap shoot.  I just hope he gets a lot of tournament reps before April.

I think that it will take seeing him in at least half a dozen events before a sensible conclusion about his future can even start to be arrived at.

Unless he goes ahead and just wins the Honda. :whistle:

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

19 hours ago, Zeph said:

Tiger will tee off at 7:45 AM on Thursday, playing with Brandt Snedeker and Patton Kizzire.

Kizzire has been on fire this season. Look out for him.

Note: This thread is 2222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!