IGNORED

Why Don't More Clubs Paint The Holes?

NEhomer
Note: This thread is 2179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It can't be all that expensive and it doesn't take much time to do so why don't all/most courses paint the holes white like they do in pro events? I would imagine that the bright white hole will show up much more prominently in your peripheral vision than a plain dirt edged hole.

Anyway, I wish my course did it.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

• Administrator

Because it takes time and costs money, and the white paint you see on TV is primarily… for TV.

And it may prevent the green from stitching back together quite as easily as raw dirt-on-dirt does?

Some courses used to have (I don't see them much anymore) liners they'd use.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe the paint is just a chalk solution so it shouldn't cause any contamination.

I would think that it would make putting easier.

I watched them paint the new holes at Bethpage during the open and it didn't take more than a few minutes. Place the guard over the hole, press the can upside down into it and twist once.

Can it really be that expensive?

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

• Administrator
Just now, NEhomer said:

I believe the paint is just a chalk solution so it shouldn't cause any contamination.

It's a paint. They have a contraption, they put the spray can in, and push down and twist it around. As you say later on.

Just now, NEhomer said:

I would think that it would make putting easier.

Maybe. But if you can't see the hole, you can have the flagstick tended for you.

Just now, NEhomer said:

I watched them paint the new holes at Bethpage during the open and it didn't take more than a few minutes. Place the guard over the hole, press the can upside down into it and twist once.

Can it really be that expensive?

I didn't say it was expensive, I said it has a cost. Time and money.

That's why they don't do it - time and money, and very little upside: your course is not being shown on TV.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just seems like a simple step a club could do to set themselves apart. I think it would be cool and aesthetically pleasing to boot.

John C.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, NEhomer said:

Just seems like a simple step a club could do to set themselves apart. I think it would be cool and aesthetically pleasing to boot.

Tell your home club.

I've seen it done at some fancy clubs, but even some of those only do it for special events.

I'm just sharing the reasons I was told.

I wish they still used those long liners, or painted then. It made it easier to see the break near the hole when standing on a level part of the green. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, NEhomer said:

This is not wrong, ask yourself, would you actually weigh the fact that the holes have paint in them towards your decision to play a course?  I agree that when I see it, I think to myself "that's a nice touch" however, it doesn't go beyond that.  I'm not avoiding a course because they don't paint the holes and I'm not choosing a course because they do.  Found some info:  https://parwest.com/product.php?pid=121

And a how-to ;)

It's actually fairly expensive and it takes about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can to do 18 greens. Each can cost about $9.00. So if you change cups on a daily basis (hopefully) thats approx. 3 cans a week which comes out to $27, so over $100 a month.

Basically, it's a completely unnecessary expense on the already tight maintenance budgets found at most golf courses. Pebble Beach at $500 a round has the money, my local muni that fights on a monthly basis to break even not so much.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have a cupliner for the flagstick I use for wedge practice in my back yard. I spray the area above the liner white, but it's only once a week for one hole.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 3/20/2018 at 1:44 PM, Golfingdad said:

This is not wrong, ask yourself, would you actually weigh the fact that the holes have paint in them towards your decision to play a course?  I agree that when I see it, I think to myself "that's a nice touch" however, it doesn't go beyond that.  I'm not avoiding a course because they don't paint the holes and I'm not choosing a course because they do.  Found some info:  https://parwest.com/product.php?pid=121

And a how-to ;)

But wait...it should be helpful because it says "Par Aide" on the bottle. It must then aid me in making par, no?

• Like 1

Michael

On 21/03/2018 at 6:08 AM, NEhomer said:

I've played dozens of courses and I'm pretty sure that some have done it. I can't remember which ones and I certainly don't ever recall thinking it a wonderful thing when I did see it. It is even possible that my course does, but I honestly can't remember. I'll check on Saturday.  Maybe it's something you think about when you are away from the course and told to think about it, but when you're putting, you're thinking about your putt. I don't really see how a practise that was/is design specifically for viewers watching TV relates to everyday play. I don't recall anyone ever saying they like playing at course X because they have the "cool" habit of painting the holes. :-) 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, Golfingdad said:

And a how-to ;)

Our course is going to do this starting this year, once the golf season starts.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, mchepp said:

But wait...it should be helpful because it says "Par Aide" on the bottle. It must then aid me in making par, no?

I've also seen "Par Aide" on ball washers, so Ii guess they help too.

As far as I'm concerned, the cup shouldn't be in your peripheral vision. Not even on a 2 footer!

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

As far as I'm concerned, the cup shouldn't be in your peripheral vision. Not even on a 2 footer!

:hmm: 

It's nice if a course does it, but it makes a very small difference to me. It would help a little if you play alone and got a long putt or one on different levels where the hole is difficult to see, but with the new flagstick rule next year, you can just leave the pin in.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

12 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Our course is going to do this starting this year, once the golf season starts.

I'd be interested to hear what folks think at your club. Do you know how the decision came about?

I'm at the same place I started with this. It would be a nice touch if more clubs did it. I reject that it's expensive or all that time-consuming. It's also not a difference maker as to whether I would play or join a course.

John C.

Note: This thread is 2179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!