IGNORED

60 lob wedge only for talented low cappers ?

Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see that a lot of midcappers have a 60 degree lob wedge in the bag, but I see only very few able to do some magic with them.

For me personally a 58 is the lobbiest I can handle, but I have zero use for a 60 or 62 ..... or am I wrong ?

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I used to have a 60 degree but now I use a 58. It works about the same for me but I'm much better with it for a high pitch shot (could be the bounce) than I was with the 60 degree. I'm still pretty good out of a green-side bunker with the 58 but every once in a while I wish I had the 60 for the occasional flop shot. But the 58 works pretty good for those (most of the time).

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't say you're "wrong." If you can't use it, you can't use it.

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I would not go by their hc - it's whether they can hit the shot. I can hit the shot I want on the range consistently - now on a tight lie only 12 feet off the green and on the course, I have a mental situation - me.  But I need to play that shot to overcome the nerves on the course. Sometimes, I forget to take a deep breath and mentally relax.

• Informative 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I am in that "demographic", and added a 60 this year. I am still learning to use it, but have found it useful in a number of situations. I am experimenting and practicing to learn additional applications, but it is handy on short pitches and chips. Prior to this club, the highest loft I have used is a 56. I won't say I have done things with the 60 that I could not do with the 56, but I do think they were easier. The 60 allows me to be more aggressive on these short shots. I can take a bit longer swing without worrying it will go too far.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Very few mid handicappers can do something “magic” with any of their clubs.  But if they can take their lob wedge and do exactly the same move as they might do with their sand wedge, then the ball will go higher and shorter, which is what they want.

Also a 58 and a 60 are pretty close to the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, allenc said:

Very few mid handicappers can do something “magic” with any of their clubs.  But if they can take their lob wedge and do exactly the same move as they might do with their sand wedge, then the ball will go higher and shorter, which is what they want.

I agree with this, and between the 58 and 60, bounce and grind are more important factors than the 2* of loft.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

57 minutes ago, Gerald said:

I see that a lot of midcappers have a 60 degree lob wedge in the bag, but I see only very few able to do some magic with them.

For me personally a 58 is the lobbiest I can handle, but I have zero use for a 60 or 62 ..... or am I wrong ?

Define "able to do some magic with them". 

I love my 60 degree wedge, but I know my skill limitations. Just because I have a 60 degree wedge doesnt mean I am skilled enough to open the face and hit a super high flop shot that stops on a dime like Phil Mickleson does. You aren't going to see many, if any mid handicaps capable of performing a shot like that on a consistent basis regardless of if its a 58, 60, 64 degree wedge. 

My 60 degree is useful for pitch shots especially when I have to clear a greenside bunker, I can take a pretty big swing and just pop it up. I dont consider that to be "magic" and 2 buddies I play with are 20+ handicappers and are more confident with their short game since getting a 60 degree wedge once they got used to the feeling of taking a big enough swing and trusting the loft.

I bet if I you did blind tests with identical clubs one being a 58 degree and one being a 60 degree, the results wouldnt be that different, especially as an 18 hcp. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

23 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I would not go by their hc - it's whether they can hit the shot. ...

I have seen single-digit HDCP players who won't touch a 60*, and I have seen guys break 90 only because they hit a couple of super 60* shots.

A couple of years back, Golf Digest reported on the wedge mixes of the PGA Tour pros. About half carried a 58* as their highest lofted club.

Many golf instructors encourage beginners to stay away from the 60*, mainly because it takes a lot of practice time to get the hang of it. Beginners can better use the time for other phases of the game.

As with many things in golf, go with what works - as long as it's within the rules.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My 60 doesn't has a real low bounce where my SW has quite a bit of bounce.  The only time I feel comfortable using the 60 is in rough where I don't have a tight lie.

John

39 minutes ago, allenc said:

I agree with this. You don't have to be a short game wizard to be able to use the 60° wedge.

The whole reason I carry a LW is so that I can alter the trajectory and distance of my pitches/partial wedges without having to manipulate my mechanics further.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My 60 degree wedge was my favorite club when I was a high/mid handicapper. I used it for a lot of shots, though, including pitches half wedge shots. I use it a lot less now that I'm playing tees that are further back. I've also started using my sand wedge (56 or 54 degree) for most of my pitch shots, because those clubs have more bounce.

It depends on the player. Most 60 degree wedges are low bounce, which makes it a more difficult club to use. I think that's why a lot of people struggle with a 60 degree lob wedge.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

I have seen single-digit HDCP players who won't touch a 60*, and I have seen guys break 90 only because they hit a couple of super 60* shots.

A couple of years back, Golf Digest reported on the wedge mixes of the PGA Tour pros. About half carried a 58* as their highest lofted club.

Many golf instructors encourage beginners to stay away from the 60*, mainly because it takes a lot of practice time to get the hang of it. Beginners can better use the time for other phases of the game.

As with many things in golf, go with what works - as long as it's within the rules.

Exactly.

Additionally, I don't think it is the loft but the type of shot and grind that works/doesn't work and lack of knowledge that kills many golfers -- simply put, they don't know how to use the sole of a wedge. If you are a picker, use less bounce if steep, more bounce (in general).

I also see too many golfers using their arms too much on delicate shots, without their chest turning on the downswing, too fast tempo, not enough weight on front foot.

If a golfer with limited skill wanted to use this club on more delicate shots, I'd say in general, forget the flop on the course - go weight on front foot, ball position toward forward to back foot, depending on shot height, feet maybe a foot apart and slightly open, hands slightly forward of clubhead and try an ankle to ankle swing, then a knee to knee swing to keep the ball lower and ensure decent contact. No real turn of lower body in backswing, turn chest and all weight on forward swing - don't hurry and keep arms in contact with ribcage on sides.

Here is Phil - low and high chip. See how slanted he is as to front foot - a good drill is to put your back foot behind you and the shoe toe down.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

4 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I don't get 60+ degree wedges. 56 or 58 degree wight he right bounce and grind for you work just fine. And are more versatile. 

I thought that, too, until I used a 60 for a couple of years. If you want to use one wedge around the greens, I can see a 58. I see benefits from using a 56 and 60, depending on the situation.

I carry a LW. Took it out of my bag for a while, but put it back. Through trial and error I learned when I could use it. One of my favorite shots is lob/flop, and it come in handy for that. I also use it out of the sand sometimes.

It's a tough club for a beginner. That not to say they shouldn't get one. Just dedicate a decent amount practice time to it.

One thing about a LW, you can't be afraid to swing it. Once you decide to use it, use it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Practice practice practice. I struggled with a fwy wood at one time. I took it to the range exclusively a few times, now i have confidence in it. Same with the lob wedge. 

Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!