IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I guess I am of different opinion than most, but I like the US Open to be won at even par. I want it to be hard. Let’s face it, these guys are incredible golfers. In the conditions we play, the game is easy for them. 

Here, the conditions make it hard for them because they don’t play it all the time. If they did, they would eventually figure it out and start going low. We have a formidable course with penal first cut, extremely penal fescue, lightning fast, firm greens and closely mown areas that are like vacuum cleaners drawing miscues yards away. I love it. It makes these guys look human for a change.

Berger and Finau now need to step up to the plate and repeat yesterday’s performance. It will be hard. DJ found that out yesterday. He was off target, a lot, and putted poorly. It cost him. But he still has a chance. They all do.

They have to play the course the way the find it, hit fairways and GIR and putt to win. Then need to adjust their approach to make this happen. We started seeing that yesterday, when the went with irons off the tee on 500+ yard par 4s just to get it in the fairway. The winner today will be aggressive and on target. Can’t wait to see it!

I agree with this. I love the test of the US Open. Without it, they'd lose their identity. The only part I hate is the players that whine and complain. I love Zach Johnson, but those were stupid comments yesterday. And then Nobilo and Chamblee added to the whining. David Duval at least stuck up for it saying he thought it was fair outside of a couple pin positions. I think the USGA does deserve heat for the pin position on 15 and I thought they should have given players more of a chance to go for 2 on 16, but the rest of the course played fine. The greens at the end of the day were starting to get a little goofy, like on 18, but it wasn't nearly as bad as '04. The wind blew pretty good yesterday. Newflash: It's tough to play in wind. Did you see the scores on Thursday? 

The next two years you've got really difficult courses that I hope the USGA keeps the test stern. You have Pebble next year which has had a total of 1 player break par combined in the last two U.S. Opens (Woods). And then you have Winged Foot where +6 was the winning score last time.

And I agree about the draws being a thing of luck, but I don't know if I've ever seen a round where early players had it so much easier than later players when the weather conditions never changed other than the wind blowing 5mph more. The greens just went from British Open speed to U.S. Open speed in the matter of 3 hours. It was crazy.

"The fun of golf is figuring things out."

There is a reason why Jack is in my personal Hall of Fame. Tiger, Ben, Jones, and everyone else is a nominee. Those guys had a passion for figuring it out. All of the guys who get to the Hall of Very Good, the rest of us golf nuts who pause as the funeral procession goes by, we just want to figure it out.

Nice segment to open my US Open Day, my Father's Day gift. Happy Father's Day to all of you, esp the granddads and great granddads. Best wishes.

Do the microphones make the crowd seem close to out of control? Holding back the outbursts? It's like a competition for who can make himself heard over the herd. Or am I yelling at the kids to get off the lawn?

Wayne

4 hours ago, iacas said:

The other majors don't "get" it any more than the U.S. Open. The British Open is highly subject to the weather. The Masters and PGA Championship are played under some pretty adverse conditions sometimes, too.

You are right......that wind and sideways rain yesterday was brutal....no way for the USGA to prepare for that

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

ok, so after the last two days of the US Open.....   i'm curious what is it that everyone expects from this tournament?   it's like if it's too easy, it's not worthy of being the US Open, if it's played at course X, it's considered the red headed stepchild...   if the course doesnt play the same from 8am to 8pm,  It's not fair....   

isn't this tournament suppose to be the ultimate test of skill in the PGA tour?    

yet it's like every year, this tournament get's blasted for how the course is set up

It is what it is

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, David L Yskes said:

ok, so after the last two days of the US Open.....   i'm curious what is it that everyone expects from this tournament?   it's like if it's too easy, it's not worthy of being the US Open, if it's played at course X, it's considered the red headed stepchild...   if the course doesnt play the same from 8am to 8pm,  It's not fair....   

isn't this tournament suppose to be the ultimate test of skill in the PGA tour?    

yet it's like every year, this tournament get's blasted for how the course is set up

I thought the way they had it the first three days was fine. Only issue was some of the pin placements yesterday which were dicey. Other than that, whiners gonna whine. I love the ultimate test. 

Webb Simpson and Tommy Fleetwood making a run here.

Edited by ChrisP

r/golf post on greenskeeping and USO:

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, Moxley said:

Great to see all the English players doing so well, hopefully one of them can post a good score and make it interesting

Except Poulter. He’s just a douche. 

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I am watching via the US Open website and the announcers are roasting Dechambeau on his overly extensive vocabulary lol....

Another bomb from Fleetwood!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I really need to look up how old Fleetwood is. I thought he was in his early 20's but he looks like he is mid 40's...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

It could be back to back majors for Reed.  Or back to back U.S. opens for  Koepka.  Or back to back tournaments for DJ.  Pretty cool.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allenc said:

It could be back to back majors for Reed.  Or back to back U.S. opens for  Koepka.  Or back to back tournaments for DJ.  Pretty cool.

I like all those outcomes.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Note: This thread is 2133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!