IGNORED

2018 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide

Frank-0-Sport
Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Faldo was busting on him also...Said you could make a "coffee" while waiting for him to hit. Then proceeded to order a double macchiato or something, well before hit the ball...

Good.  I like when Nick rips on people too... he can be quite funny sometimes.

Had to turn it off cause my 4 hr roast was done and he was still on the Tee box on hole 1 !!!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Worst thing about watching Sunday was Patrick Cantlay.  His pre shot routine is ridiculous!

When Johnny Miller is on commentary he totally rips him apart.  :beer:

6 - 8 foot wiggles ever time he putts gets real annoying... the feet and waggles when he has his driver... I can't watch when he is in one of the lead groups.

2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Faldo was busting on him also...Said you could make a "coffee" while waiting for him to hit. Then proceeded to order a double macchiato or something, well before hit the ball...

Yet if TW's started doing that routine, they would be lauding it and emulating it much like the club twirl.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

10 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Yet if TW's started doing that routine, they would be lauding it and emulating it much like the club twirl.

If TW had PC's routine I would turn if off as well... heck nobody should take that long before a shot.  Makes me go ZZZZZZZZ

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

1 hour ago, fishgolf said:

But he is not...so it is irrelevant.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
2 hours ago, fishgolf said:

Mere technicalities.

No it's not. You said he was a physics major who graduated. So:

• He's not a physicist. He doesn't work as a physicist, nor does he even have a degree.
  • He didn't graduate.

That's not a "technicality." It's against the actual definition of "SMU graduate."

Do I actually care that he isn't a graduate? No. I don't care one way or the other about him. But if you're gonna argue on behalf of someone, at least don't argue things that are so easily picked apart.

2 hours ago, fishgolf said:

Yeah, no.

You seem to have a very off-base opinion of how Tiger Woods folks think and behave or feel or whatever.

I'd rip on him if he took that long to hit a putt. Or a shot. Just like Faldo ripped on that guy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No it's not. You said he was a physics major who graduated. So:

• He's not a physicist. He doesn't work as a physicist, nor does he even have a degree.
  • He didn't graduate.

That's not a "technicality." It's against the actual definition of "SMU graduate."

Do I actually care that he isn't a graduate? No. I don't care one way or the other about him. But if you're gonna argue on behalf of someone, at least don't argue things that are so easily picked apart.

I still see your response as picking the fly poop out of pepper.  I'm sure you get the gist of my original question.  I'm not so much arguing on his behalf as trying to understand why he draws such ire. I've honestly not followed him that much, but he has an impressive record to a young career. It's not like he's earned the scorn of Ian "this is my IQ" Poulter. :-$

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator

I still see your response as picking the fly poop out of pepper.  I'm sure you get the gist of my original question.  I'm not so much arguing on his behalf as trying to understand why he draws such ire. I've honestly not followed him that much, but he has an impressive record to a young career. It's not like he's earned the scorn of Ian "this is my IQ" Poulter. :-$

It’s black and white. He’s not a physicist. He’s not a graduate.

Your argument is easily discarded when you make literally false statements.

He draws ire from some because he kinda acts like a prick. :-)

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have Masters in Chemical Engineering and have been a Chem E since 1982. I had more physics than Bryson did as an undergraduate. He is not a physicist. He his a very good professional golfer who studied 3 years of physics and is a bit of a science nerd. Let's let his record as a golfer speak for itself. He has no record as a physicist and never will unless he quits golf and finishes school with at least a masters.  Please move on.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, fishgolf said:

Mere technicalities.  He was a Physics major while at SMU and opted to turn pro largely because of sanctions levied against the golf program.  Personally, I think he should have finished his degree, but can hardly argue the high likelihood that he will earn significantly more money on tour.

What @iacas said first of all. Uh yeah ...pretty solid. Bryson can do all the calculating he wants. But they way he presents himself to adults is like the annoying kid at a dinner party who keeps wanting to show his ‘magic tricks’ to everyone. 

Majoring in a subject means nothing. He likes physics more than the average guy. But having no degree in physics, and no degree at all actually isn’t a ‘mere technicality.’ His awkward interviews lead me to believe he may become a bit of a Moe Norman actually. He’s done nothing ground breaking in golf. He won the NCAA and the US Amateur in the same year and I give him props for that. Otherwise he appears as bit of a douche to me with his quasi-scientific approach to a game that can’t be mastered with a calculator. Shut up and play.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

He draws ire from some because he kinda acts like a prick. :-)

I like the kid, I like his approach too.  But every once in a while, something fratboyish seems to peek through.....(like how he points far right/left when the other guys miss the fairway - it doesn't 'feel' like when other players do it for the spotters....)

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

He’s done nothing ground breaking in golf.

This I agree with.  EVERY single golfer does what he does (accounts for wind, loft, lie, distance, etc etc etc).  It's just the presentation.  But knowing that, again, all the new kids have to grow a public presence.  He does better than most as much of the angst isn't due to him, but just knee jerk from crotchety old timers....  😛

Bill - 

This math addled country, not to mention its anti-intellectualism, kind of feeds into the fascination with DeChambeau's psychics talk, of course it's mostly him feeding it. Psychics, physicist, what's the difference? The press needs an angle, so they'll never let that go.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Worst thing about watching Sunday was Patrick Cantlay.  His pre shot routine is ridiculous!

So I've got the replay in the background here.  Now I can't UNWATCH that crap.  thanks so much.  He's really bad.  It's like waiting for a cat to lie down.

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This math addled country, not to mention its anti-intellectualism, kind of feeds into

Hey - junk societal commentary.  nicely done

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

31 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

studied 3 years of physics

I started out as a physics major, but switched to Mechanical Engineering. Have a BSME. My hat is off to anyone who studied physics for 3 years. I suppose the guy got through Quantum mechanics. He may not be as smart as you, but I am sure he is smarter than most on tour. 

53 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I have Masters in Chemical Engineering and have been a Chem E since 1982. I had more physics than Bryson did as an undergraduate.

And you know that for fact?  I have a BS & MS in Mechanical Engineering and have no way of proving such a claim - nor would feel the need to do so.  Anyway, good chance SMU will provide him an "honorary degree" (ala Bill Gates) once he tally's up a list of wins, prize earnings, and his revolutionary DeChambeau Sticks makes the hype over The Big Bertha look like child's play. Heck, SMU's not going to let a little technicality stand in the way of some much loved booster money. ;-)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fishgolf said:

And you know that for fact?  I have a BS & MS in Mechanical Engineering and have no way of proving such a claim - nor would feel the need to do so.  Anyway, good chance SMU will provide him an "honorary degree" (ala Bill Gates) once he tally's up a list of wins, prize earnings, and his revolutionary DeChambeau Sticks makes the hype over The Big Bertha look like child's play. Heck, SMU's not going to let a little technicality stand in the way of some much loved booster money. ;-)

Absolutely. Chem E is all physics and math. So I guess by your standards I get to call myself an economist because I took Micro and Macro Economics senior year. I am also a Historian because I minored in history. I got a free round of golf a few times, which is technically being paid, so I am a professional golfer. Time to boost the resume!

Don't insult real physicists by calling him one. To be a physicist, you at least need a masters and worked in the field for real. With a BS, you are just a technician sadly.

He is becoming a very good PGA golfer. Let's just leave it at that.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Even if he had a BS and MS in something, winning on the PGA Tour is a far more impressive feat.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

So he isn't a physicist, that much is clear. 

I think the point with Dechambeau though , is that he tries to employ a scientific approach to golf, probably inspired by his undergraduate studies and an interest in the subject. Whether or not this is helpful to his game, slightly hinders him, makes no difference at all or is just a clever way to brand himself, I don't really know. For me, it just makes him more interesting to watch (even if just for the single length irons alone). 

16 minutes ago, Moxley said:

So he isn't a physicist, that much is clear. 

I think the point with Dechambeau though , is that he tries to employ a scientific approach to golf, probably inspired by his undergraduate studies and an interest in the subject. Whether or not this is helpful to his game, slightly hinders him, makes no difference at all or is just a clever way to brand himself, I don't really know. For me, it just makes him more interesting to watch (even if just for the single length irons alone). 

Yes. But what irks me is his bs interviews where he comes off trying to talk as though he is a physicist/scientist. He isn’t. Does he really have to use the Latin terms for obscure muscles when describing his workout? That’s 100% douche. Period. And when Rex Hoggard and others write articles saying he has a degree in physics it perpetuates this bs. He’s a college drop out who likes physics. Hardly anything amazing. He needs to do a lot more than win 2 tournaments to deserve accolades for having a ‘proven’ scientific way to win. He’s just a tinkerer. Nothing more.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!