Sign in to follow this  
N8theGr8_1988

You're Down to 4 Clubs in Your Bag...What Are They???

54 posts / 3630 viewsLast Reply

5w, 7i, gap wedge, putter

On 7/2/2018 at 12:37 PM, GolfLug said:

The question is how many shots do you all estimate you would loose compared to a full 14 club set?

Good question. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 5 more strokes than my average. Then again, taking partial swings with more club than normal might not hurt some of us as much.;-)

On 7/2/2018 at 7:25 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

Who is going to do it and report?

I might give it a try in a month or so. It seems like it would be interested to try. If so, I'll try to record the round with GameGolf.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I could do 5 easily; 4 is a bit harder for me.

I think it would be 21* hybrid, 7 iron, a 50-52* wedge with about 10* bounce, and a putter. I might swap a 3W for the hybrid. I can get 200 +/- out of the hybrid, and on most courses I play, that would be adequate.

If I could have 5, I would add a driver.

Edited by dbuck

3+ Wood that can be used off the tee and fairways for longer holes

6 Iron for mid shots

Pitching wedge for approach

Putter (I don't think I'd be very good at putting with a wood/hybrid as others have said)

Driver

7I

Wedge

Putter

No idea why, but this was my immediate reaction to the thread title.

I tend to do this when the Mrs. is up for hitting the links. She’s relatively new to the game (maybe two dozen range visits and has played 6 rounds of 18 or so). I tee it forward with her to help her out and for pace of play (though it’s never been an issue).

6 iron tee shots and second shots (I like to use her drive for mid range target practice. Plus, makes for better cart golf)

9 iron capable of covering just about everything.

58* around the green.

Putter or 3 iron depending on how I feel that day.

I used to play a short par 32 course with a buddy of mine with 7i only every once in a while.  Putting with a 7i costs you serious strokes.  Or at least it costs me!

So I'd bring the putter, driver, 7i, SW.

I'll suffer having to lay up on a couple par 3s – or risk a ridiculous driver bunt and roll – in order to be getting the ball close on the par 4s and 5s with the driver.

Hmm.. 5 is not bad but 4 is a challenge on some courses. Here’s a rundown:

4 wood ~220-260 off tee/good for par 5s. I usually stop within 5 ft, unless i try not to. Driver off deck is long, but less control.

7 iron ~160-185 good for long/medium par 4s. Can high cut/stinger draw based on distance.

50* <130 good for short 4s and approach. Also versatile from rough, chipping, and bunkers.

Putter

Driver: 260-220  
5 iron: 180
9 Iron: 140 
LW: 100 an in

Driver, 7 iron, gap wedge, putter - not having a longer iron might hurt on a few holes, but then again, I can lose my 3 wood fairly often, so could be safer...

Four putters lol.

The previous posts have pretty much nailed it - a putter & some kind of wedge, obviously. The other two clubs are whatever you're comfortable with hitting long & straight. For me that would be a 3h & probably a 6 iron.

3w, 5i or 6i, aw, putter. I generally only hit my 3w off the tee, but in this configuration I would probably have to occasionally hit it off the deck from the fairway.