IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

There you go, @colin007. Tiger got some sand in his eye from the 5th tee shot, so now you have your excuse for the rest of the round.

Either way, I'll be drinking....calms the nerves whether he's playing poorly or well....

JFC my heart.....

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's okay, Tiger, I leave a lot of shots short too ;-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Either way, I'll be drinking....calms the nerves whether he's playing poorly or well....

Admit it, you'd be drinking even if he wasn't playing :-P

Tiger with a perfect drive on 6.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

There's supposed to be. Network was saying that it'll show rollout on fairways too.

Shot tracer

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.37.56 AM.png

No, I mean Shot Tracker, not Tracer. The graphics on every PGA event on pgatour.com where you can see the hole layout and where a player has hit the ball, distances etc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Admit it, you'd be drinking even if he wasn't playing :-P

Tiger with a perfect drive on 6.

Touché.....LOL!!!!

Ugh

Colin P.

Tiger about to enter the danger zone. Lots of players have gotten under par after 6 holes. From 7-13, many of those players started to fall back. And then 15-18 has destroyed a lot of rounds.

23 minutes ago, Zeph said:

No, I mean Shot Tracker, not Tracer. The graphics on every PGA event on pgatour.com where you can see the hole layout and where a player has hit the ball, distances etc.

Sorry, misread. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The Open is the last tournament for which ShotLink is not used to measure performance

That's really disappointing. One of the biggest tournaments in the game and no ShotLink.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

33 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

If Tiger birdies the 6th, I think he'll have more first round birdies today than he will all of the other first rounds combined this year.

Of course you had to jinx him.  Leave it a revolution short.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Would like to see Tiger be a little more aggressive. I get the whole game plan thing, but laying back for a 244-yard second shot? I get taking irons on a lot of the holes, but there's a few holes, like on 9, where I feel like taking a driver out would be more beneficial.

Edit: And as soon as I say that, he takes out the wood and puts it in a bunker. 

Edited by ChrisP

I was going to say DJ looks likely to finish 4-over, but that's not a guaranteed putt he left himself for double-bogey. He hit two shots OB today.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It's because the course will still play well. It's not the USGA trying to play what it thinks is links golf, it's the R&A getting these players to play links golf. The greens are still going to be fine at this course, and that's what the USGA has had problems with. The R&A has the greens playing almost double the grass height at Sinnecock. The greens will be putt able the entire tournament. Nobody is trashing the R&A because the course will be playable.

So as long as the greens are playable the rest of the course can be hardpan?  Watching the featured group, Matsuyama just hit a drive that rolled 140+ yards after it hit the ground.  It would've rolled further, but it ran into a ditch.  That's "playable"? I've seen plenty of courses I wouldn't pay $10 to play because they only water the greens and look identical to this.  I get this is links golf, but a ball rolling out over 140 yards is ridiculous and in my mind every bit as bad or worse as one unfair green on Shinnecock on one day of the tournament.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I was going to say DJ looks likely to finish 4-over, but that's not a guaranteed putt he left himself for double-bogey. He hit two shots OB today.

And he missed it. 5-over for DJ.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I am sure there must more than a few grave stones in Scotland that have "Avoid the pot bunkers" engraved on them.

Vishal S.

Just now, billchao said:

And he missed it. 5-over for DJ.

And the rest of the top-10 in the world are currently a cumulative even par.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, billchao said:

You talking about the commercial? It just looks like a driver with little to no face roll. Not going to get too OT about it, though.

Players care about how the course plays, not generally how it looks. Chamber's Bay had bad greens. Shinnecock suffered from poor judgment on the part of the USGA. The thing both courses had in common was the maintenance was manipulated by people to result in those conditions. I don't expect that kind of criticism for Carnoustie. You can't do anything about the weather for the British Open. It's just what you'd come to expect from links golf.

There's nothing wrong with a brown golf course. If anything, it's the American attitude that a golf course should be green that's more of an issue.

I had forgotten about the bad greens at chambers bay, so that's a fair criticism.  Shinnecock had one or maybe two bad greens on one day (3rd round) of the tournament, and everyone loses their minds.  The golf course doesn't need to be green, but there should be grass that's alive.  Everything but the greens look dead.  Drives rolling out over 400 yards because it rolled 140 yards after landing is stupid.  I guess I just don't understand how two bad greens on shinnecock cause a huge uproar, but basically no fairway or rough maintenance and nobody says a negative word about course conditions?  That just seems hypocritical to me.  It being "links golf" shouldn't be allowed to be used as an excuse for the R&A and not the USGA.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

14 minutes ago, Shindig said:

And the rest of the top-10 in the world are currently a cumulative even par.

Never saw a leaderboard like this. This is your top-7 currently:

Kisner - 33rd
Lombard - 444th
Van Rooyen - 144th
Finau - 31st
Stone - 371st
Steele - 56th
Moore - 81st

Not exactly sexy looking, but it's only day 1. Lots of big names lurking at -2, -1, Even and +1.

Edited by ChrisP

Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!