IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Crispy!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Holy crap!  Nothing like a motocross race at the landfill.  Wonder what they did with all the junk cars?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 7/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, colin007 said:

This. Why on earth withdraw?? Just go get clubs and play.

Maybe he can rent some Pings at the pro shop for like 60 pounds.

That’s the brownest I’ve ever seen Carnoustie. Guess they’ve had a dry summer over there and from the forecast, it could be warmer than your typical Open. 

Tiger needs to just leave that driver home. Stick with the 3w. Now I don’t know the stats on his fairways hit with driver vs 3w but I just worry that driver is more likely to cause problems.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Tiger needs to just leave that driver home. Stick with the 3w. Now I don’t know the stats on his fairways hit with driver vs 3w but I just worry that driver is more likely to cause problems.

At the very least, I hope he has looked into the statistics of those two.  Or at least, which club off the tee gives him the most strokes gained.  I would hope someone with his resources would employ a statistician and I assume several do.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

8 hours ago, ChrisP said:

That’s the brownest I’ve ever seen Carnoustie. Guess they’ve had a dry summer over there and from the forecast, it could be warmer than your typical Open. 

A little north of where I am at, but it's been exceptionally dry here in England, and probably much the same over the border in Scotland. No rain for weeks now, my local course (Heathland) is bone dry, and ball is running on miles. If it doesn't rain this week and next it will suit a player who's good with long irons and from sand.

8 hours ago, Shindig said:

At the very least, I hope he has looked into the statistics of those two.  Or at least, which club off the tee gives him the most strokes gained.  I would hope someone with his resources would employ a statistician and I assume several do.

Hopefully yes. He certainly won’t get any advice from LaCava. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Moxley said:

A little north of where I am at, but it's been exceptionally dry here in England, and probably much the same over the border in Scotland. No rain for weeks now, my local course (Heathland) is bone dry, and ball is running on miles. If it doesn't rain this week and next it will suit a player who's good with long irons and from sand.

Reminiscent of 2013 and when Muirfield baked out and those greens were insanely fast. Phil was only player to finish under par. Carnoustie is already difficult in soft and calm conditions. Make it dry with some breeze and Even Par may win easily.

Weather looks to be fairly cool and dry, not much rain in the forecast this week or next. So the course should be dried out, and the ball will surely run out.

And while I was looking I found a site with the tide forecast https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Carnoustie/tides/latest
make sure your caddy has those in the bag, as you'd like to know how it will affect your shot if you have to play out of the Barry Burn

Players play, tough players win!

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/henrik-stenson-questionable-for-2018-british-open-after-withdrawing-from-scottish-open/?src=rss

Sucks for Henrik if this injury does in fact keep him out if the British. 3rd on PGA Tour in SG Tee to Green this year so I felt like a win was fast approaching him and thought he could be a major factor in this tournament. Maybe now that will not be possible. 

Saw pictures of the course this morning. Fairways are reminiscent of Muirfield 2013 and Hoylake 2006. Very baked out. They've managed to keep the greens still pretty green, though. With the hard, fast conditions and weather forecast staying pretty consistent of 10mph winds each day, I would expect scores to be pretty close to Even Par during the week. Definitely should be a good test for the guys. Carnoustie in completely calm conditions is still the toughest course in all of Britain.

Edited by ChrisP

3 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Yup, crazy dry over here. My course has now banned smoking outside while dry conditions continue

Ouch, that's pretty serious. I don't know that I've ever heard of that happening anywhere before.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Doesn’t look all that hot there, though. Calling for temps in low 60s there next week. So that should aid players some and keep course from baking out anymore. Plus a breezy NE wind predicted next week means wind coming right off the sea.

Edited by ChrisP

The issue is a lack of rain, it's never that hot in Scotland. The course is on sandy soil so it dries easily. 

Rough might be easier though, and the ball will run on a long way.

Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!