Wally Fairway

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

754 posts in this topic Last Reply

11 minutes ago, amished said:

Found on Reddit, but here's a link to the full StrokeSaver yardage aid for Carnoustie.  Not quite as detailed as the Kevin Na book (easily could've been Instagram instead of Snapchat, stories on them look similar to me since I don't use them often), but still cool.

Booyah! I just downloaded this for my next round (ha ha) at Carnoustie. Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Booyah! I just downloaded this for my next round (ha ha) at Carnoustie. Thanks!

Just make sure you bring me along to that round as thanks... :)

4 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Forecast looking more and more like wind is going to be a big factor this week. Three of the four days are calling for gusts up to 20mph.

I guaran-freaking-tee Tigs gets the worst of it. Always happens.

2 hours ago, amished said:

Found on Reddit, but here's a link to the full StrokeSaver yardage aid for Carnoustie.  Not quite as detailed as the Kevin Na book (easily could've been Instagram instead of Snapchat, stories on them look similar to me since I don't use them often), but still cool.

Can you download that as a series of images or, ideally, a PDF or something? I don't see the option. I'd prefer not to create an imgur account, especially if that still doesn't let you download it. :-)

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I guaran-freaking-tee Tigs gets the worst of it. Always happens.

Maybe it's just me, but it appears the bulk of the big boys are playing Thursday PM/Friday AM. DJ, Koepka, Rory, Tiger, Matsuyama, Fleetwood, JT, Sergio, Stenson all playing in Thursday afternoon wave. The other wave has Spieth, Phil, Rickie, Reed and that's about it.

Edited by ChrisP

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you download that as a series of images or, ideally, a PDF or something? I don't see the option. I'd prefer not to create an imgur account, especially if that still doesn't let you download it. :-)

Carnoustie Championship Course - Stroke Saver.pdf

2 hours ago, amished said:

Just make sure you bring me along to that round as thanks... 🙂

UK courses are dog friendly too methinks. 🐶

I liked them all but Bubba, at the end, made me laugh out loud.

9 hours ago, amished said:

Kevin Na apparently put one of the pages from the yardage book out on Snapchat.  If the fairways are so burnt, I would be scared to hit too much club as I can imagine rolling into a lot of crap.

KNa Carnoustie.jpg

Good grief! That looks like Chinese checkers!

I think that being so burned out could actually add to the problems, with the ball running forever and into trouble.

It will be an interesting watch.

9 hours ago, amished said:

Kevin Na apparently put one of the pages from the yardage book out on Snapchat.  If the fairways are so burnt, I would be scared to hit too much club as I can imagine rolling into a lot of crap.

KNa Carnoustie.jpg

This is fine, but you can't use a compass.  Right.

35 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Good grief! That looks like Chinese checkers!

I just see a bunch of giant centipedes roaming the course and torn off centipede legs plus shades of the original Twilight Zone introduction, I guess Carnoustie is practically another dimension.

Aaaand now I'm looking at yardage books. Damn you interwebs.

Some of the things I'm hearing are ridiculous.

1) Dustin Johnson hit a 4-iron and a wedge into a par-5????

2) Brandt Snedeker hit his drive on the 491-yard par 4 into the Barry Burn, which is 450 yards from the tee.

3) Bubba Watson hit a 3-wood on the 410 yard 7th and the ball went over the green?

Heard Sergio say today that if the wind doesn't blow, you could be hitting a wedge into more than 2/3 of these greens. Couple that with soft greens and barely any rough, and you could see some really low scores out there this week if a player gets on and the wind doesn't blow.

Edited by ChrisP

7 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Some of the things I'm hearing are ridiculous.

1) Dustin Johnson hit a 4-iron and a wedge into a par-5????

2) Brandt Snedeker hit his drive on the 491-yard par 4 into the Barry Burn, which is 450 yards from the tee.

3) Bubba Watson hit a 3-wood on the 410 yard 7th and the ball went over the green?

Heard Sergio say today that if the wind doesn't blow, you could be hitting a wedge into more than 2/3 of these greens. Couple that with soft greens and barely any rough, and you could see some really low scores out there this week if a player gets on and the wind doesn't blow.

Please oh please be windy!

Generally speaking, would people rather see -15, -5, E or +5 win a comp like this??

22 minutes ago, Darth_Fader said:

Generally speaking, would people rather see -15, -5, E or +5 win a comp like this??

I would take a score around even par every time, I like seeing pros struggle every once in a while :) They can shoot -25 in regular tour events

27 minutes ago, Darth_Fader said:

4 minutes ago, FinTurma said:

I would take a score around even par every time, I like seeing pros struggle every once in a while :) They can shoot -25 in regular tour events

I agree with @FinTurma. Very few of us watched the John Deere pitch and putt. I want the Majors to be hard. Come on 25 mph wind!

I think so too, level par is good score as it suggests a fair test, while still making sure that grinding out scores is paramount. The likes of Rory won't do much in that I suspect (unless the body language chats with Mr Faxon does the trick), whereas someone steady, with tidy scrambling game should go well, the recently rejuvenated Matt Fitz or someone springs to mind. Tho Rickie is made for The Open IMO. That John Deere last week was one of the most mundane comps in living memory, except for Mr -27 of course..