IGNORED

The Match: Tiger vs. Phil Showdown for $9M

jimnm
Note: This thread is 1938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/24/2018 at 6:16 PM, AlDena said:

Yeah, but you know what Arnie would be doing if he were alive today? Clawing away at the inside of his casket.

You got Candies and Nuts for Christmas? All I got was socks and underwear....

I asked for something to wear and someyhing to play with, my dad bought me a pair of trousers and cut a hole in the pocket😂

On a serious note, I for one am looking forward to this. I love both but maybe slightly rooting for Phil.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

$19M. 🙂

LOL, what's 1 million dollars? That Thanksgiving skins game I actually kind of looked forward to at one point seems awfully antiquated now.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 hours ago, Carl3 said:

I am looking forward to this and I will be tuning in, but I wonder how they will fill the time in between shots?

They are supposed to be miked up, and I expect the conversation will be more interesting than the golf, with both of them probably out of game shape by November.

2 minutes ago, brocks said:

They are supposed to be miked up

Cool. I read somewhere that Phil carries about $8k in his golf bag because he is a big tipper and also likes to gamble. He may need to bring more.

PPV price $25 according to James Miller.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I’ve heard lower.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Wait, it's not on free TV, or even TGC?  Well, that changes things.

I've been a Tiger fan since his first US Am win, but I'm not paying to see him play a one-round exhibition, two months after I've seen him play 20 competitive rounds in six weeks.  Let alone in the middle of football season. 

I'll catch the highlights on Youtube.

• Like 1

Not paying for this.  too bad, it could have been fun.  with advertising and sponsorships, etc, this is a big mistake to also be PPV

Bill - 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Not paying for this.  too bad, it could have been fun.  with advertising and sponsorships, etc, this is a big mistake to also be PPV

I disagree that it’s (likely, because we can’t know for sure) a mistake.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

PPV is becoming more attractive every day.

Paying not to be inundated with stupid commercials is especially attractive to this target audience who has more disposable income than most.

My only question is, is $25 being overly optimistic about the market?  Guess we'll find out. The folks who arrange this know far more about it than I ever will.  

Edited by 3jacker

I'd watch it for free, but there is no way in hockeysticks I'd PAY a nickel to watch this.  And if they can't get an old retired white guy who is a huge Tiger fan to pay then I have a hard time imagining a million people will pony up $25 apiece to watch what is, after all, a meaningless exhibition.  Putting a big number like 10 mill on the outcome doesn't make the meaningless meaningful.

Edited by turtleback

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

40 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I'd watch it for free, but there is no way in hockeysticks I'd PAY a nickel to watch this.  And if they can't get an old retired white guy who is a huge Tiger fan to pay then I have a hard time imagining a million people will pony up $25 apiece to watch what is, after all, a meaningless exhibition.  Putting a big number like 10 mill on the outcome doesn't make the meaningless meaningful.

I agree with most of your post, but what does your race have to do with anything?

• Administrator
3 hours ago, turtleback said:

a) I doubt they need a million people.

b) I bet they get what they need.

c) I've heard $5-20, depending on the format and the device and so on. We'll see.

If this board is any indication- either 1.) y’all are cheap SOBs or 2.) ratings are going to be really low for this. 

I’m guessing it’s a bit of both 😁. Beyond the $ itself, the problem with PPV golf of any kind is that golf rounds are super long and they take place in the middle of the day- yes I know this is stating the obvious. But most ppv events take place at night and can serve as destination events for a group of buddies or a group watching at a sports bar. People (including me) are going to be hesitant to shell out money for a 5 hour event in the middle of the day that- if they are married/have kids- they probably won’t be able to watch much of anyways.

I like the idea of this match and don’t mind paying to watch it...but it doesn’t fit with how most of us golf fans watch golf- intermittently on the weekends between family/work/life chores.

• Administrator

It’s going to finish at night on the east coast… and you can record and watch it whenever.

Note: This thread is 1938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!